Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there an HD-DVD Kubrick collection box set?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know about the new HD-DVD versions of the Kubrick films coming out next week, and I also heard that there is a new Kubrick collection box set containing all of those movies coming out on the same day.

Is there an HD-DVD version of the box set or is it only SD?
Old 10-19-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't believe so.

I don't understand why Warner didn't give people the option to buy all the movies together or individually like they did with the standard version..maybe later they will...I might hold off till then
Old 10-19-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It may be because they apparently didn't remaster Lolita or Barry Lyndon and didn't want to include subpar versions of those titles. Those titles would have been sourced from 1080i just like the original release of Full Metal Jacket. The ones they are releasing now are the more popular titles.

So, they may not have wanted to do a set unless it was as complete as they could make it. Then again, that may not be the case since they are doing a box for the Harry Potter series which is obviously incomplete.

At some point the HD market will be mature enough and they can justify the expense of remastering and releasing the less popular titles. That's when they may do an HD box. Hopefully for those who want a box, they'll have a program where people could send away for the box and just buy the titles they don't have to fill it.

I think the best approach would have been to do a "Volume 1" set with the current titles, and then later do a "Volume 2" with the remaining titles, including A Life in Pictures. By then, Sony should have released Dr. Strangelove on BD so they could throw that in too, though not for the HD DVD version of course.
Old 10-20-07, 01:53 AM

Well I guess I will just buy them separately then. Gives me an excuse to skip Eyes Wide Shut.

Actually, I kind of liked that movie.