Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Movie with lossless tracks only

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-07, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched my very 1st BR movie last night and was annoyed to find out it only had a DD 5.1 640 kbps audio track. MI:3 Anyway, rather than bring up the review on eahc movie I'm researching to buy, it there a list somewhere of just the BR movies with lossless PCM tracks and Dolby True HD or DTS MA? I only want to buy those movies.
Old 10-13-07, 11:16 AM
Banned

Go on AVS Blu-ray section and any thread longer than 5 pages is about a disc that doesn't have lossless. Don't buy those.
Old 10-13-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I sure wouldn't want to limit myself like that. I'd much rather have a movie I like with lossy sound than an okay movie with lossless. The pickings are slim enough as it is to be limiting myself even further. It would be like limiting my DVD purchases to only titles with DTS.

Just look at a review for a movie you're interested in to see what audio tracks are included. In general, Sony, Disney, and Fox (though with Fox it's DTS-MA) use lossless. Paramount didn't, and Warner usually wouldn't either until recently. Lionsgate sometimes uses lossless (generally yes for new releases if I'm not mistaken).

You really have to check the discs though, as there may be exceptions.
Old 10-13-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
All of the major Blu-ray exclusive studios use lossless soundtracks. Fox uses DTS-HD MA which is lossless on its titles. Disney uses PCM and Sony uses a mix of PCM and/or Dolby TrueHD. In general the neutral releases of Paramount and Warner do not have lossless soundtracks with a few exceptions like 300. Of course MI 3 was a Paramount title. And if your desperate there are a few titles that you can import that have lossless soundtracks and that play on U.S. players that domestically have lossy soundtracks(the Japanese edition of Face/Off is a good example here).
Old 10-13-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Were you annoyed before or after you watched it and looked at the box/bitrates? Because even though it's not lossless, M:i-III sounds EXCELLENT to my ears.
Old 10-13-07, 09:59 PM
Suspended

http://www.blu-raystats.com/
Old 10-14-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Were you annoyed before or after you watched it and looked at the box/bitrates? Because even though it's not lossless, M:i-III sounds EXCELLENT to my ears.
Keep in mind that if they don't have lossless, they have versions of lossy that are still superior to DVD. And since almost nobody thinks there is anything wrong with DVD, you ought to be ok.

Lossless audio has been out for years, nobody here cared.
Old 10-15-07, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I sure wouldn't want to limit myself like that.
I've been in this game long enough to know that most of these titles with DD/DTS lossy soundtracks will be re-released at some point in a new and improved special edition likely carrying a LPCM, True HD, or DTA-MA audio track. I refuse to be a chronic double-dipper. I played that game with DVD but not with HD. I don't plan on buying more than 2-3 titles per month so I can afford to be picky.
Old 10-15-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
Great site. Thanks!
Old 10-15-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everything gets re-released..thats how studio makes money.