DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Just bought 28 weeks later and its playing full screen on my ps3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/514136-just-bought-28-weeks-later-its-playing-full-screen-my-ps3.html)

takingchase 10-10-07 10:12 AM

Just bought 28 weeks later and its playing full screen on my ps3

Alright so I have a 40' 1080i crt television. It is not widescreen its the regular 4:3 ratio. My ps3 is hooked up via hdmi running through a receiver

So yesterday I go and pick up 28 days later and pop it in and the son of a bitch is playing in full screen. I browsed through all my settings and for the life of me I can't figure out why. So I take that out and pop in kung fu hustle blu-ray and everything is in widescreen. So it appears to just be 28 weeks later though I did remember this happening once before except it was on my HD-DVD drive for my 360. My copy of Lost in Translation does the same exact thing, for some reason it plays in full screen also.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it, the picture looks like ass because its all stretched, and for some reason its exceptionally grainy for a blu-ray.

Qui Gon Jim 10-10-07 11:59 AM

Did you get the 28 Days Later DVD or BD?

takingchase 10-10-07 12:49 PM

its 28 weeks later and its the blu-ray. Sorry I forgot to specify that. It definitely says its widescreen on the back of the blu-ray packaging also.

mdc3000 10-10-07 01:35 PM

I haven't watched my copy yet, I'll go check it out on my ps3 and report back soon.

theWitcher 10-10-07 02:07 PM

I'm guessing that the image looks like ass because it's not stretched. And I imagine that the standard def video shot 28DL is going to be grainy even if it's displayed properly.

Are you sure that the PS3 is displaying a 4x3 image? I think that the default for HDMI is 16x9. Both 28DL and LiT are 1.85:1 movies, so black bars aren't part of the image. KFH, on the other hand, is scope-shaped, so it will include black bars as part of the image.

Are PS3 games letterboxed on your display?

mdc3000 10-10-07 02:20 PM

Weird. The movie plays fine on my PS3 as it should, great looking HD picture. No issues with aspect ratio or anything (I'm not sure how it could play any high def source in full screen unless it was downgrading it to 480 because of the 16x9 native ratio of HD content....speaking of...)

With both 28 Weeks Later and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, all the extras play on my ps3 as 480p anamorphic...but high def digest lists the bonus features as being in 1080 HD - I'm watching over component, so I wonder, did Fox put an image constraint token on the bonus features?? Anyone else having this issue with these discs and a ps3?

Like I said, both movies play fine in HD but the features that according to reviews are in high def, don't play as such.

Mr. Cinema 10-10-07 02:36 PM

No issues here either. For such a low budget feature, the pic quality looked very good, especially the daytime scenes. It played at 1.85:1 on my screen.

PopcornTreeCt 10-10-07 04:38 PM

How do they make 1080i CRT TVs? I don't understand.

takingchase 10-10-07 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher
I'm guessing that the image looks like ass because it's not stretched. And I imagine that the standard def video shot 28DL is going to be grainy even if it's displayed properly.

Are you sure that the PS3 is displaying a 4x3 image? I think that the default for HDMI is 16x9. Both 28DL and LiT are 1.85:1 movies, so black bars aren't part of the image. KFH, on the other hand, is scope-shaped, so it will include black bars as part of the image.

Are PS3 games letterboxed on your display?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. 1:85:1 is widescreen so playing on my 4x3 tv it should have the black bars. So I'm almost positive its displaying the movie in 4x3. I wish I could tell you if my ps3 games were letterboxed, I bought this thing at launch, played resistance for a couple days and then haven't used it since other than a blu-ray player.

Maybe I somehow got a sort of defective copy. Everyone is saying how great the picture looks but I watched it today and I think I have to disagree. The lighter shots look great but any dark shots have way more grain than usual, more grain than I have seen in just about any movie.

bunkaroo 10-10-07 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. 1:85:1 is widescreen so playing on my 4x3 tv it should have the black bars. So I'm almost positive its displaying the movie in 4x3. I wish I could tell you if my ps3 games were letterboxed, I bought this thing at launch, played resistance for a couple days and then haven't used it since other than a blu-ray player.

Maybe I somehow got a sort of defective copy. Everyone is saying how great the picture looks but I watched it today and I think I have to disagree. The lighter shots look great but any dark shots have way more grain than usual, more grain than I have seen in just about any movie.

OK, so your display is 4:3.

Does your display have an anamorphic "squeeze" mode or 16:9 mode?

Do things looked vertically stretched? If they aren't stretched, it's cropping it somehow. Maybe your TV is locking into some kind of zoom mode?

FantasticVSDoom 10-10-07 06:57 PM

Mine working ok as well... And the sound just scared the absolute piss out of the dog.

Checking out the extras now, but they look pretty good so far... I do notice they are Mpeg-2 where the movie is AVC with a much higher bitrate ( I'll be honest, I dont know that much about all that however).

takingchase 10-10-07 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
OK, so your display is 4:3.

Does your display have an anamorphic "squeeze" mode or 16:9 mode?

Do things looked vertically stretched? If they aren't stretched, it's cropping it somehow. Maybe your TV is locking into some kind of zoom mode?

yup, my display is a 4:3. It does certainly have a 16:9 mode where it will compress anything on the tv to widescreen and display the black bars on top and bottom. Things don't particularly look stretched though, at least not to my knowledge. And like I said its only with this blu-ray of 28 weeks later and my hd-dvd of lost in translation is this problem occuring.

EDIT: I played around with the tv all last night wondering if maybe the tv was doing it but the tv's menu is pretty much null. there isn't much there to play around with. I also checked all the buttons trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not sure if it has to do with the tv or not since its just these two movies I'm having problems with.

Spiky 10-10-07 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
How do they make 1080i CRT TVs? I don't understand.

??
All 1080i TVs are CRTs. CRTs are the only tech that is interlaced. Either projection or big ol' tubes. Many of the tube sets were 4:3 ratio.

GreenMonkey 10-10-07 10:38 PM

I had a 4:3 quasi-HD display for years so maybe I can help (480p Infocus X1 projector). The PS3 should be set to 16:9, and the display set to 16:9 squeeze mode. Is that true?

If you set the PS3 to 4:3 letterbox and the display to 4:3, does that look right?

Wick 10-10-07 11:56 PM

That's really weird. I just bought the disc today. I was going to watch it tonight, but I remembered about a big assignment that I have to hand in tomorrow, so I'll have to watch it after class tomorrow night. Hopefully everything works out. I'll try to remember to post my experience with it, once I finally get to watch it.

PopcornTreeCt 10-11-07 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
??
All 1080i TVs are CRTs. CRTs are the only tech that is interlaced. Either projection or big ol' tubes. Many of the tube sets were 4:3 ratio.

I didn't think they made 1080i 4:3 TVs. It just seems weird to me.

mdc3000 10-11-07 09:01 AM

^I've got one. It's a 61' Sony that was one of the last 4:3 TV's they brought out and it has an excellent 16:9 squeeze mode. I was thinking of upgrading a while ago just for the hell of it, but my TV actually produced a better 'film like' HD image than most of my friends with newer LCD tvs, so I'm keeping this old girl until she breaks!

bunkaroo 10-11-07 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^I've got one. It's a 61' Sony that was one of the last 4:3 TV's they brought out and it has an excellent 16:9 squeeze mode.

Damn! How did you fit that thing in the house - did you cut a hole in the wall? :D

Jray 10-11-07 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
??

Be careful. That's not true. There are many models of TVs that are 1080i and are something other than CRT. My rear projection Sony LCD is 1080i. Only when 1080p became really popular in the last 2 years did everything start moving away from 1080i.

Back to the OP... have you tried running your PS3 directly to your TV and not through the receiver first? Sounds like maybe some kind of conversion is taking place in the receiver. Just an idea...

El Kabong 10-11-07 03:12 PM

Try messing with the PS3 display settings. It sounds like it's doing what some (very, very few) dvds do where they will adjust the picture (crop or zoom) to fit your tv. It would make widescreen dvds fullscreen on a 4x3 tv, etc. It's something that's encoded in the disc & is triggered by your players' settings. Maybe in your case you need to pick fullscreen or 4x3 letterbox. Mine played just fine on my PS3 on a 16x6 tv.

And nothing is wrong with your copy (at least not the picture). I'm not sure why everyone is saying how great it looks. It looks really bad- but that's the way it was shot & intended. I think it was shot all with DV cameras & it has a very non-detailed fuzzy almost look. And some of the darker scenes get alot of that big blocky digital looking edges on motion. Definitely not demo material, but it is the way it's supposd to look.

El Kabong 10-11-07 03:16 PM

Oh yeah, my Sony LCD is also 1080i, as were ALL types of HDTVs before last year. 1080p is pretty new. All DLP, LCD, projectors, etc. were all 1080i until last year.

GreenMonkey 10-11-07 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Oh yeah, my Sony LCD is also 1080i, as were ALL types of HDTVs before last year. 1080p is pretty new. All DLP, LCD, projectors, etc. were all 1080i until last year.

No, they accept 1080i input and downscale it to 720p/768p/etc. There are NO interlaced DLPs or LCDs. There were a very few plasmas that ran a kind of interlacing technology (ALiS), but they are normally considered 1024x1024.

Interlacing is basically a CRT only technology. Neither of you has a 1080i LCD. Such a thing doesn't exist. Digital technologies are all non-interlaced.

Draven 10-11-07 04:19 PM

Can I ask a dumb question - are you sure it's a Blu-Ray disc?

Wondering if someone swapped in a Fullscreen DVD or something...

GreenMonkey 10-11-07 05:14 PM

I was thinking about this. If it is playing in fullscreen then he doesn't have the display set to 16:9 squeeze mode. Guaranteed. If the display is set to 16:9 squeeze there is NO way anything can be in 4:3 without any bars.

I think that's the core of the problem. I think the display is set to 4:3 mode, not 16:9.

Drexl 10-11-07 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Try messing with the PS3 display settings. It sounds like it's doing what some (very, very few) dvds do where they will adjust the picture (crop or zoom) to fit your tv. It would make widescreen dvds fullscreen on a 4x3 tv, etc. It's something that's encoded in the disc & is triggered by your players' settings. Maybe in your case you need to pick fullscreen or 4x3 letterbox. Mine played just fine on my PS3 on a 16x9 tv.

That setting only affects DVDs, which is why Draven suggested he check to see that it's a BD.

OP: are you sure that those two discs are the only ones that are distorted? Even the 2.35:1 titles aren't? The only explanation that makes sense to me and others is that the PS3 is outputting a 16x9 image but the TV is set for 4:3. Therefore, the TV is vertically stretching everything to fill the screen, but for some reason you aren't noticing it in 2.35:1 titles. It may be that you see black bars and assume it's correct.

Do you have any other 1.85:1 titles and do they look the same as these two? Are your PS3's menus filling the screen? They should appear letterboxed (vertically squeezed by the TV) if things are set up correctly.