Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Edward Scissorhands Blu-ray reviews?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, to make up another topic but I'm really interested in hearing how the PQ is on this as its one of my favorite films.

Did anyone find it in store? Anyone find a review?
Old 10-09-07, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan from AVS said it looks very good.

Old 10-10-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching it, the PQ is very, very nice. Clean, artifact-free, no noticeable EE, and vivid colors.

Also watched Robocop... it was also clean, artifact-free, & no noticeable EE. Some shots were a touch on the soft side, but it still looked much better than any of the Sds. I recommend both.
Old 10-10-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Alan from AVS said it looks very good.

That's a positive because he can be quite demanding.
Old 10-10-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
Also watched Robocop... it was also clean, artifact-free, & no noticeable EE. Some shots were a touch on the soft side, but it still looked much better than any of the Sds. I recommend both.
Really? I thought it looked pretty bad. I wasn't expecting much, given the movie's age and the quality of previous DVDs, but I got even less than that. It was soft, grainy, dirty in some shots, and quite fuzzy in others, especially background images, which are usually much crisper in high-def. While I was reasonably impressed with the audio, the flick definitely ain't worth the price tag. I'd say to stick with the recently released SD DVD and save the difference.

Last edited by Vipper II; 10-10-07 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Really? I thought it looked pretty bad. I wasn't expecting much, given the movie's age and the quality of previous DVDs, but I got even less than that. It was soft, grainy, dirty in some shots, and quite fuzzy in others, especially background images, which are usually much crisper in high-def. While I was reasonably impressed with the audio, the flick definitely ain't worth the price tag. I'd say to stick with the recently released SD DVD and save the difference.
I wouldn't use it to demo HD, but there was never any doubt it was HD... I very much enjoyed it projected on the big screen. I'll still keep my Criterion and my steelbook, but they'll just collect dust on the shelf.
Old 10-14-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
I just got this and I'll say that it has surpassed my expectations regarding picture quality. For a catalog title it looks very good. It blows away the upconverted dvd.
Old 10-14-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheres all the dvd site reviewers on these recent titles released?

20th Century not get these out in time for review?
Old 10-15-07, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
wheres all the dvd site reviewers on these recent titles released?

20th Century not get these out in time for review?
Pretty much. We just got ours(HighDefDiscNews) in last Friday (The Fly, Robocop and Edward Scissorhands).
Old 10-15-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's DVD Beaver's review that has convinced me to buy it.
Old 10-15-07, 05:32 PM

From Dvd beaver...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ds_blu-ray.htm

SD dvd

and new BD

That's a pretty dramatic jump in PQ if you ask me!

Last edited by Davy Mack; 10-15-07 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh wow. That is remarkable. Can't wait for this to come!
Old 10-15-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very funny, Davy Mack.
Old 10-15-07, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Very funny, Davy Mack.

??????

See for yourself.

Here's another.

Sd dvd

and new BD

Last edited by Davy Mack; 10-15-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The BD shots look like edge-enhanced/brightened versions of the DVD, and at 615x350 they're not even high enough in resolution to show the difference anyway. I don't see more detail in the BD shots. I really thought you were joking by taking a small image, sharpening it, and then claiming it looks better.

Unless there are larger pictures I'm not seeing...
Old 10-15-07, 08:51 PM

Did you even go to the DVDbeaver link?

This is what Gary says...

"Video:

There is a big improvement from the most recent incarnation of SD DVDs of Edward Scissorhands - the 'Anniversary Tin Box' from November 2005. The screen grabs below will bear out that the new Blu-ray edition betters in every usual area - detail and especially color (vibrancy and brightness). Because of the nature of this film I would say these are important improvements.

The MPEG-2 compression on the Blu-ray has but one flaw - it looks so pristine that you can more easily identify special effects (including make-up etc.). This may sound like a compliment but I did find some of my willing suspension tested in the Blu-ray viewing. I never saw this film theatrically but wonder if I would feel the same about that presentation. I am only basing by judgment compared to the SD DVD(s) of the film that I have seen - it's quite possible that the imaginative art-direction sets and dynamic design visuals had an element of expressionism in their creation. Anyway, the bursting colors do really add to the fairy-tale expression of the film. It's much more apparent in hi-def - more fun to watch for sure..."

SD dvd

and new BD

you really don't see any additional detail in say, the flowers...?

Last edited by Davy Mack; 10-15-07 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I suppose there is some more detail there, but I don't see the point in using an image of lower resolution than DVD to show the difference between it and HD.

I read the review and I don't doubt that the disc looks good, but those BD shots aren't selling it, to me at least. I hope they just decided to sharpen the images to "simulate" what you might expect from the BD.
Old 10-15-07, 09:48 PM

i hear ya but these are just examples. supposedly it looks pretty good.

Old 10-15-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, I suppose there is some more detail there, but I don't see the point in using an image of lower resolution than DVD to show the difference between it and HD.

I read the review and I don't doubt that the disc looks good, but those BD shots aren't selling it, to me at least. I hope they just decided to sharpen the images to "simulate" what you might expect from the BD.
The difference is very clear to me. The dvd cap looks like a pic taken with a 1 or 2 megapixel camera while the BD version looks much cripser like it was taken with a 6 or 7 megapixel camera. That is what high definition does for you. Do you expect the movie to jump off of the screen and punch you? Are you an HD-dvd fan by the way?
Old 10-15-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The difference is very clear to me. The dvd cap looks like a pic taken with a 1 or 2 megapixel camera while the BD version looks much cripser like it was taken with a 6 or 7 megapixel camera. That is what high definition does for you. Do you expect the movie to jump off of the screen and punch you? Are you an HD-dvd fan by the way?
The BD caps look to me as if they have been sharpened. Look at the edge ringing, particularly on his hair in the shot where he's looking at the pictures. I think they sharpened them so they would stand out. After all, if they're going to use captures that are of lower resolution than a DVD, they had to do something to make them look different.

Again, I believe them when they say the disc looks good, but it's not because of those shots.
Old 10-15-07, 10:41 PM

I think gary tooze is pretty on the level.
Old 10-16-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Davy Mack
i hear ya but these are just examples. supposedly it looks pretty good.

Yes, it looks damn good. Actually almost TOO good, since the makeup (particularly the scars) on Edward in closeups is much more obvious now.
Old 10-16-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There's definitely sharpening visible in those screen caps, whether intentionally added or possibly just a side effect of the software used.

I take all screen caps with a grain of salt anyway, so I won't worry about it until I get the disc home.
Old 10-16-07, 05:28 PM

Let us know, Josh.

Old 10-16-07, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I should have my copy on Thursday or Friday. Will let you guys know what I think.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.