DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   I just bought an RCA HDV5000 and Im having issues... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/514069-i-just-bought-rca-hdv5000-im-having-issues.html)

ivelostr2 10-09-07 05:41 PM

I just bought an RCA HDV5000 and Im having issues...

I finally bit, and Im having issues...

I have been debating HD/BD for a while, I stopped buying dvds in May because I couldn't make myself buy something that i knew once i took the eventual plunge, i would need to upgrade. So at Sam's Club last week I saw an RCA HDV5000 for $175.00 out of box, when my brother-in-law went back this week, it was $141.00. He called me and I said to pick it up for me, and when he was checking out, he complained it had no power cord, they sold it to him for $99.01 + $14.00 for a 3 year warrantee.

I tried to play Knocked-up and it gives me an error (disc can't play. error: 0x4014c000). I called customer service for RCA and they said to try another HD movie and if it doesn't work, call them back and they will begin the warrentee claim process. They woman on the phone had no idea aboutt he product at all.

so here is my question. I know my player has an internet port on the back, and I do have DSL, but the instruction manual gives very poor instructions. I know this is a Gen 1 player, could it be that i need to download newer software/firmware inorder to play the disc. I hope others out there have this player and they can help me a bit.

Thanks in advance...

Nick

laserdogg 10-09-07 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I finally bit, and Im having issues...

I have been debating HD/BD for a while, I stopped buying dvds in May because I couldn't make myself buy something that i knew once i took the eventual plunge, i would need to upgrade. So at Sam's Club last week I saw an RCA HDV5000 for $175.00 out of box, when my brother-in-law went back this week, it was $141.00. He called me and I said to pick it up for me, and when he was checking out, he complained it had no power cord, they sold it to him for $99.01 + $14.00 for a 3 year warrantee.

I tried to play Knocked-up and it gives me an error (disc can't play. error: 0x4014c000). I called customer service for RCA and they said to try another HD movie and if it doesn't work, call them back and they will begin the warrentee claim process. They woman on the phone had no idea aboutt he product at all.

so here is my question. I know my player has an internet port on the back, and I do have DSL, but the instruction manual gives very poor instructions. I know this is a Gen 1 player, could it be that i need to download newer software/firmware inorder to play the disc. I hope others out there have this player and they can help me a bit.

Thanks in advance...

Nick

Update to Toshiba 2.3 - RCA is actually rebadged Toshiba HD-A1

Might require you to DL firmware, burn to CD and update from disc the first time. RCA update servers are at 1.4 last time I looked and the player may attempt to get its FW from RCA. After you update via CD, the player will seek Toshiba servers.

Use this thread for more info...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8149755

Did 2 myself and they both work great

ivelostr2 10-09-07 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by laserdogg
Update to Toshiba 2.3 - RCA is actually rebadged Toshiba HD-A1

Might require you to DL firmware, burn to CD and update from disc the first time. RCA update servers are at 1.4 last time I looked and the player may attempt to get its FW from RCA. After you update via CD, the player will seek Toshiba servers.

Use this thread for more info...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8149755

Did 2 myself and they both work great

thank you , i am currently trying to do this, this is my current dilema:

Please select your HD DVD Player model and press Continue:
HD-A2 / HD-D2
HD-A20
HD-XA2
HD-A1 / HD-D1
HD-XA1

...Im assuming that the HD-A1 is the correct choice?

Nick

laserdogg 10-09-07 07:46 PM

thank you , i am currently trying to do this, this is my current dilema:

Please select your HD DVD Player model and press Continue:
HD-A2 / HD-D2
HD-A20
HD-XA2
HD-A1 / HD-D1
HD-XA1

...Im assuming that the HD-A1 is the correct choice?

Nick

Yes

ivelostr2 10-09-07 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by laserdogg
Yes

I just tried it with a cd-rw and the player isnt reading the disc... I keep getting the error "this disc is not dvd format. cannot play this disc."

ivelostr2 10-09-07 08:14 PM

I just realized im was burning it as data, not an image...i am trying again...

laserdogg 10-09-07 09:35 PM

I just realized im was burning it as data, not an image...i am trying again...

That ought to do it...

ivelostr2 10-09-07 09:38 PM

ok, it is now reading the HD dvds and playing, but it has frozen a few times during playback of knocked-up. are there issues with knocked up, is that a player problem or the dvds problem?

Edit: i just read the playback issues with the combo hddvd...I will use the ethernet port and see getting the next update (2.5) will help the playback issues.

thank you for the help...

Nick

tkbarnes 10-16-07 02:58 PM

Transformers doesn't work either.

FYI-
I got Knocked up and got the same thing....I thought it was just the dvd, so I flipped it and played the standard version (people were over that wanted to watch)...BUT I just bought Transformers on HDdvd and got the same error. Not so many people cared to see Katherine Heigl in high definition goodness, but I'm sure people will be googling this error more after they get home today with Transformers and realize the problem. I guess I'll be able to watch it this weekend after I d/l and install the update and get a wireless bridge...

ivelostr2 10-16-07 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by tkbarnes
FYI-
I got Knocked up and got the same thing....I thought it was just the dvd, so I flipped it and played the standard version (people were over that wanted to watch)...BUT I just bought Transformers on HDdvd and got the same error. Not so many people cared to see Katherine Heigl in high definition goodness, but I'm sure people will be googling this error more after they get home today with Transformers and realize the problem. I guess I'll be able to watch it this weekend after I d/l and install the update and get a wireless bridge...

after the dls, Knocked up worked pretty well, it froze up just once during the viewing, but i got Tranformers today and haven't tried it yet, i hop it works...