Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

My only complaint about HD-DVD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

They didn't do anything to make the discs more scratch resistant. I opened Knocked Up and was unpleasantly surprised by a few scratches on both sides of the discs. Also, today I bought Heroes and two of the discs had several scratches on them. Hopefully they will fix this in the near future. Aside from that I am really enjoying HD-DVD.
Old 10-07-07, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My least favorite thing is waiting forever for the HD-A1 player to start up. And I especially love it when I hit 'eject' on my A1, and it interprets that as 'turn on first, then play the disc'.
Old 10-07-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by durden007
My least favorite thing is waiting forever for the HD-A1 player to start up. And I especially love it when I hit 'eject' on my A1, and it interprets that as 'turn on first, then play the disc'.
It still takes forever on my new HD-A30 model that was just released. It is like waiting for a computer to boot up.
Old 10-07-07, 04:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My least favorite thing about HD DVD is that they haven't released enough of 'em!
Old 10-07-07, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
My least favorite thing about HD DVD is that they haven't released enough of 'em!
agreed

I'm getting use the slow start up time on the A2. I'm usually in the kitchen finishing up something or getting something to eat so it gives me a bit more time by the time I get to the living room

Last edited by shanester; 10-07-07 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-07-07, 10:01 AM

Ditto on startup time, especially when I just want to test discs out. The other small disappointment is that at least on the A-2 there is no "play resume" memory of where you left off as there is on many DVD players.
Old 10-07-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It still takes forever on my new HD-A30 model that was just released. It is like waiting for a computer to boot up.
Look at your owner's manual. Mine for the A2 states:

The HD DVD player operates more like a computer and differently than a standard dvd player. In addition to containing a microprocessor, it contains an operating system, random access memory (RAM), and an HD DVD drive. The operating system includes software that is transferred to the RAM when the machine is turned on and at other times during operation. This transfer can take time. Therefore, when you turn the HD DVD player on, it may take a little while before it is ready to use. Likewise, other functions may not be performed as quickly as they would on other AV equipment. Please take these factors into consideration as you use the HD DVD player.

I see so much whining that it take SOOOO LOOONG for their HD player to start. Mine takes a minute tops. Maybe if you understand how it works, it won't bother you as much. It didn't bother me before I read this section but after anyone reads this, a minute wait should be understandable. Is a minute or two that big a deal for a quality product? Do you cry and pout when your computer takes several minutes to boot up?

I will agree that it sucks that there is no "play resume memory" like on normal dvd players. It sucks to stop playback and then have to go back to the chapter section and then fast forward to where I was. The manual says to hit the "Play Resume" button after stopping playback but that hasn't worked for me yet on any of the disc I have tried. Either I am doing it wrong or their "resume play" does not function properly. This is probably the item that bugs me the most about HD-DVD.

What's weird is I have to hit "Pause" and if it sits long enough it will go to a screen saver. Hit play again and I am where I left off. On dvd players, if it stays on pause long enough, the dvd will start itself back or stop playback completely.

As far as scratches go, I get most of my HD viewing from Netflix and thus they are received with scratches. I clean every disc before it goes in the player and have not had any trouble yet, knock on wood.
Old 10-07-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They didn't do anything to make the discs more scratch resistant. I opened Knocked Up and was unpleasantly surprised by a few scratches on both sides of the discs. Also, today I bought Heroes and two of the discs had several scratches on them. Hopefully they will fix this in the near future. Aside from that I am really enjoying HD-DVD.
Next to the slow start up time with my A1, this is my biggest complaint. It is uncommon to purchase an SD-DVD that has scratches nowadays. Why can't HD-DVD's be replicated scratch free?

I guess I'm being picky, but when an HD-DVD title costs between $19.99 - $34.99, I expect it to be flawless...that's what I paid for and expect from the studios.
Old 10-07-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
My DLP takes just as long to fully heat up as my HD-A2 takes to be "disc-ready." It doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 10-07-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My add-on plays right away.

Not more than 10 seconds to be sitting at the menu.

I would have to agree with above, my only complaint is that there isnt enough titles out!! grrr!! lol
Old 10-07-07, 01:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
My DLP takes just as long to fully heat up as my HD-A2 takes to be "disc-ready." It doesn't bother me in the least.
same deal for me.

my only complaint is that my Harmony remote won't send the "Eject" command to my A1 before "Power on", but I'm a dork that way...
Old 10-07-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
My add-on plays right away.

Not more than 10 seconds to be sitting at the menu.

I would have to agree with above, my only complaint is that there isnt enough titles out!! grrr!! lol
Same with my add-on. The 360 HD-DVD drive takes a lot of criticism but I think its great.

The PS3 works the same way, except that loads even quicker than the 360 does.
Old 10-07-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I see so much whining that it take SOOOO LOOONG for their HD player to start. Mine takes a minute tops. Maybe if you understand how it works, it won't bother you as much.
...but the PS3 boots up pretty much instantly, so it's not as if there's a technical requirement that these players take so long to launch.

In all honesty, the glacial speed of my HD-A1 -- a first gen player, admittedly -- coupled with some sporadic flakiness has moved me to buy Warner's multiplatform titles on Blu-ray. I haven't sat down with a stopwatch or anything, but if the HD-A1 takes less than 2 minutes from powering on to seeing the first image from the disc on the screen, it ain't by much.
Old 10-07-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Does the scratching create playback problems?
Old 10-07-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 360 add-on is super quick, no complaints here. My PS3 is in the mail.
Old 10-07-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, now waiting with my setup either...I couldn't imagine waiting 90 seconds for a disc to fire up...I'm spoiled.
Old 10-07-07, 07:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I have yet to have any scratches on my HD DVD discs bought new. Though it seems every 3 or 4 Blu-rays I buy the damn pieces of the spindle which hold the Blu-ray disc are broken off, floating around in the damn case. I might have 5 or 6 of them like this.

As for load up times...what do you expect? These are 1st-3rd gen players, its not going to be lightening fast. My PS3 is obviously faster then my A2, but my 360 Add-on is faster then the PS3.
Old 10-08-07, 01:18 AM

The startup time is annoying when changing discs. I'll often have a disc in the player, so I need to wait a minute for the thing to boot, eject the disc, put a new disc in, and what another minute. It also bothers me when listening to CDs, since I want to pop in a disc and listen to it. The HD-A1 is a good CD player. I wish it did SACD and DVD-audio. I can understand no SACD since its Sony backed, but my Toshiba standard DVD player does SACD and DVD-audio. I would imagine there is enough hardware in there, and since it 'acts like a computer' it wouldn't be a huge stretch for DVD-A. I do understand it is booting like a computer. However, there are electronic devices that don't require as long of a boot up time.
Old 10-08-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a dumb question, but is there any way to skip past the WB or Universal logos when starting up the disc? I can't do it on my A1 or XA2 players. Yet the PS3 is able to skip right past the WB logo. Couple that with the load time, and I might have to start buying dual-format titles on Blu-ray.

On this subject, the new Anchor Bay/Starz Blu-ray releases are pissing me off with the way they force me to sit through 4 or 5 FBI warning and studio logo screens.
Old 10-08-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will almost always buy dual format releases on Blu-Ray. The only way that I wont is if the HD-DVD version has some really cool features that the Blu-Ray release doesn't have.
Old 10-08-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interestingly, I also had two scratched discs on Heroes, and one on Planet Earth, but none in single-disc titles. I guess discs in box sets are more prone to coming loose (which is why I'll probably buy Blade Runner on Blu-ray).
Old 10-08-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Grubert
Interestingly, I also had two scratched discs on Heroes, and one on Planet Earth, but none in single-disc titles. I guess discs in box sets are more prone to coming loose (which is why I'll probably buy Blade Runner on Blu-ray).
None of the discs were actually loose they were just scratched. It is unfortunate that they haven't developed some kind of coating a la Blu-Ray to put on the discs for added protection.
Old 10-08-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One minute to load sorry... that's unacceptable, my old PC loads faster than that...
Old 10-08-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
One minute to load sorry... that's unacceptable, my old PC loads faster than that...
Wish my new PC did.
Old 10-08-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good thing some of you guys don't own the HD-XA1 since you'd also have to wait a few extra seconds for the motorized door to open so you can gain access to the disc tray...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.