Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just picked up the Spider-Man trilogy on Blu

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Just picked up the Spider-Man trilogy on Blu

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
I wonder if packing Spidey 3 in the box with the new PS3 40 gb and 80gb versions is really a good idea? What about the folks who would like the box set? Sure you could just go buy 1 & 2 but what about the box itself? Kind of makes me wish they just included some other relatively good movie instead.
I wonder if this will be a extra-less movie much like the T. Nights pack-in?
Old 10-08-07, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gizmo...for DVD's, we're on region 2 here in Iceland like the rest of Europe. For blu-rays, we're on region B but the Spider-Man trilogy on blu is region free.
Old 10-12-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
does anyone know if the box set will come with 2.1 or 2?

if it's 2 i'm gonna pass for sure
Old 10-12-07, 10:38 AM

the spidey trilogy will include both the spidey 2 theatre and the 2.1 version.

Jacob
Old 10-12-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct, via seamless branching.
Old 10-12-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
does anyone know if the box set will come with 2.1 or 2?

if it's 2 i'm gonna pass for sure
Got my screener of the trilogy this week. The Spider-man 2 disc contains both Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 2.1

Doesn't look like either Spider-man or Spider-Man 2 carries over any extras from the DVD versions...I'll be watching them this weekend to confirm for sure.

Spider-man 3 has everything the 2-disc standard version offers.
Old 10-15-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Will all three movies be available seperately, the only movie I don't want is the first one.
Old 10-15-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Will all three movies be available seperately, the only movie I don't want is the first one.
not anytime soon.
Old 10-17-07, 10:18 PM

Anyone interested in Spider-Man Trilogy from Japan?

http://beautifulthingsinlife.blogspo...y-blu-ray.html
Old 10-17-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Engel07
Anyone interested in Spider-Man Trilogy from Japan?

http://beautifulthingsinlife.blogspo...y-blu-ray.html
Wow, that is one beautiful box. That makes two regions that get better looking SM trilogy boxes than us.
Old 10-18-07, 09:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got my review set in the mail. I don't know if this has already been discussed, but all three films use Dolby True HD. Spider-Man 3 also has its own PCM track on top of the True HD, but 1 and 2 have no PCM, which I think is a first for Sony.

Watching 1 now. I'm not overly impressed with the transfer (it looks rather flat), but everything I've heard suggests that 2 and 3 are much, much better.
Old 10-18-07, 09:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Watching 1 now. I'm not overly impressed with the transfer (it looks rather flat), but everything I've heard suggests that 2 and 3 are much, much better.
You seem to echo what Ive heard from others.
Can't wait!
Old 10-18-07, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Okay, a little more in-depth. All three films are encoded with AVC.

I took a closer look at some key scenes in all three. Spider-Man doesn't just look flat, it looks sloppy. Dark scenes look like they've been brightened, giving blacks this unnatural blue hue to them. The effects shots look especially bad, which may just be a given since the effects in the first movie always sucked and this is 1080p. But really, this just feels like Sony said, "Shit, we need all THREE movies in HD!" and took whatever they could get. This is the worst PQ of a high profile release I've seen in a long time. I'd give it two stars. The sound is pretty powerful, but I could detect some slight hiss during dialogue scenes that really took me out of it.

Spider-Man 2 is much more impressive. The picture has depth, colors look correct, and there's tons more detail. The 2.1 scenes seem no different in quality than the rest of the film. I was surprised by how much grain there is in the film. Not video noise, but a pretty thick layer of film grain. Still, this is the first time in the set that you can tell you're actually watching high definition. The sound is also a big step up, with wonderful fidelity and range.

Spider-Man 3, of course, looks crystal clear. I watched the scene where black suited Spider-Man confronts Sandman, and was really impressed with all the detail on SM's suit, and the deep blacks. I then watched the scene where Peter gets rid of the symbiote in the church, which also looked very impressive. I switched back and forth between the True HD and the PCM and frankly I couldn't make out any major differences.

Considering that the trilogy doesn't cost too much more than Spider-Man 3 alone, it makes sense to get this over the single title release. Still, the first movie is a real disappointment. Luckily, the best film in the trilogy looks great. Now, if only they'd give us extras for all three...
Old 10-19-07, 06:04 AM
Banned by request

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31070
Old 10-19-07, 07:00 AM

Just a heads up that FYE has the trilogy stock. If youre lucky, your store may still have signs up for 50% off all Sony BR's. Definately save ya some cash that way.
Old 10-19-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Got my review set in the mail. I don't know if this has already been discussed, but all three films use Dolby True HD. Spider-Man 3 also has its own PCM track on top of the True HD, but 1 and 2 have no PCM, which I think is a first for Sony.

I've read on AVS the same thing. Part 1 looks pretty good, but 2 and 3 are alot better. The same goes for the dvd. I thought part 1 on dvd looked crappy, but 2 looked much improved. Maybe the master on part 1 is just not that good? I don't remember 1 looking amazing in the theaters either, so maybe the flat look is intended.
Old 10-19-07, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

Well, aside from the Hi Def Digest forum exploding over my Spider-Man PQ score, bizarrely people are saying I docked points because of its aspect ratio. All I said was that I was surprised that a major summer action film was 1.85:1. I also said the best thing about the transfer is that it's in OAR, which nobody seems to be noticing. Very weird.

I half considered registering just to defend myself, but then I decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-19-07 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are 2 and 3 filmed in 2.35:1?
Old 10-19-07, 05:00 PM
Banned by request

2.40:1, actually. Spider-Man was filmed in 1.85:1, which is jarring after seeing the other two, and I commented on that. But it in no way affected my score of the PQ. I would have dropped the score lower if they had changed the ratio.

P.S. I can't even imagine what people at the Blu-ray forums must be saying. I can imagine the headline now: "Poor Blu-ray review prompts mass suicide."
Old 10-19-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm one of the few who thought the PQ on Spider-Man 1 was pretty good. Granted, not as good as 2 or 3, but I certainly thought it was in the above-average range for Blu-ray...I could pick up a lot of details I never saw on DVD, and I thought the image really "popped" with color.
Old 10-19-07, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, most people are disagreeing with me. I'm just calling it like I see it.
Old 10-20-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your post seems to echo what the reviews here say. Good news indeed.
Old 10-20-07, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm definitely getting Spider-Man 3 on Blu, but I'm honestly on the fence about upgrading my copies of 1 and 2.
ditto here. You know they will release special editions of the first 2 films further down the line. I can wait since I already have them on DVD. Definetly getting SM3 though
Old 10-21-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Havok83
ditto here. You know they will release special editions of the first 2 films further down the line. I can wait since I already have them on DVD. Definetly getting SM3 though
My thoughts exactly. I'm actually on the fence about getting SM3. Just didn't like it nearly as much as the other two. But, I'll probably have to complete the trilogy and it has the greatest Bruce Campbell cameo of all time...
Old 10-21-07, 09:29 AM

I'm torn about this set. Part of me really wants to get it as soon as it's available but then there's a chunk of my brain tellin me "Wait for the flood of gamestop blu-rays for sm3 and get the eventually-released sm1 and 2"

I guess it will all come down to what kind of a deal i could come up with on this set

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.