Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Release better titles in the HD formats!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Release better titles in the HD formats!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd say the studios are doing an admirable job of releasing older titles along with new releases. Are all our favorite classic films coming out at once? No. But the studios are at least paying attention.
My point in this post was to point out that a lot of the older catalog titles that have been released have not been the biggest draws at the theater. Why would these be released before more popular titles. I mean, can't we find a better title than "Mystery Men"? That's all I'm sayin'. Priorities, man, priorities.
Old 10-04-07, 04:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Many of these catalog titles are released in conjunction with a new DVD release. It's not about putting out the best movies first. There are lots of decisions that go in to these releases, some more obvious than others.
Old 10-04-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Plus, they know that there are people who will buy certain titles because not much else is available.

They have to strike a balance; they can't just put out all of their popular titles first. Some will say "if they release them now they'll still be available to the holdouts and sell just as well" but it doesn't work that way. Marketing is a big part of it, and with some big titles they're better off waiting until a larger player base is available so they can spend more and generate more hype. Sales are geared heavily towards "new" releases, and that goes for catalog titles also. That's one reason why we see so many DVD re-releases - it's as much about getting titles back into prominent "new release" displays in the stores as it is about making better editions available.
Old 10-05-07, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
While I personally wish there were more quality catalog titles being released in HD (I actually have a hard time finding many HD titles I'd want to own) I understand that it will take some time for this to happen. Remember how huge the "Unreleased on DVD" thread used to be over in the main DVD forum? It seemed like we had to wait forever for "The Godfather", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "King Kong", "Citizen Kane", etc. I guess the studios are still testing the waters, and don't want to flood the market all at once.

However, yeah, I do agree that my enthusiasm for the medium would be greatly enhanced by more classic titles being released. The Kubrick films and "Blade Runner" are the only things I currently have on preorder, and I'm super excited about them.
Old 10-06-07, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think many who adopt HD format, with AV technology and stuff for the better sound, wanna go after great fillms that come with great soundtracks to boost the bass.

Most of these classics, won't really showcase their new equipment then alot of the later films. Also, you got a new generation of film fans, growing up in a different set of films, most of those classics belong to a generation who probabley can't be bothered to upgrade and feel fine with their dvds.

And most oscar winning films, old ones anyway, very dialogue driven, where as I'm a very action man, guns and bass speakers
Old 10-06-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanValen
I think many who adopt HD format, with AV technology and stuff for the better sound, wanna go after great fillms that come with great soundtracks to boost the bass.
I agree with this, except for the part about the films having to be great.
Old 10-06-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is pretty clear that the studios (with a couple notable exceptions) have no idea what the public wants. They have just been throwing darts at empty walls for decades to pick movies.

This is a big part of why it isn't too hard to wait for me. So far there are only a handful of titles I would really want on HD disc.
Old 10-06-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Overpar
My point in this post was to point out that a lot of the older catalog titles that have been released have not been the biggest draws at the theater. Why would these be released before more popular titles. I mean, can't we find a better title than "Mystery Men"? That's all I'm sayin'. Priorities, man, priorities.
Well, Three Colors Trilogy has been on HiDef more than 4 times now (including this past week). I really hope that somewhere around Q1/Q2 Miramax brings it out.

And La Reine Margot...will pay up to 120$ for it, just released it!

Pro-B
Old 10-06-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Well, Three Colors Trilogy has been on HiDef more than 4 times now (including this past week). I really hope that somewhere around Q1/Q2 Miramax brings it out.

And La Reine Margot...will pay up to 120$ for it, just released it!
I would love those releases on an HD format.

Unfortunetly foreign films have been poorly represented on both HD formats with a paltry amount of titles. I haven't jumped on either format yet since I'm waiting for more great titles to appear. So far I'm unimpressed with what's available in both formats and will sit back and wait it out.
I'm not going to purchase HD titles of movies I hate just so I can be blown away by the picture quality. If I hate the movie, then I have no desire to watch it in HD.
Old 10-06-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Release better titles?

I'll get right on it!
Old 10-06-07, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Really? Where? HDNet? I need to see those films in HD!

As for Miramax, I'm still waiting for some better releases from them. Chicago was okay, but bring out the big guns (i.e. Tarantino).
Old 10-06-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That kind of thinking is what I've been afraid of. If Blu-ray wins the format war don't expect a lot of classics. Sony Pictures still hasn't released anything older than the 90s.
Not unless you count The Terminator which I think falls under their distribution deal with MGM. Although it's possible Fox now controls that title.

Either way, that's a sad statement that the oldest movie they've released on Blu-ray besides The Terminator is Revenge which came out in early 1990.
Old 10-06-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Not unless you count The Terminator which I think falls under their distribution deal with MGM.
Likewise for The Last Waltz, which was from '78 or so.
Old 10-06-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
How do you find out how many copies of an HD movie sells?

Still, maybe they are waiting till HD gets more mainstream? I would rather wait and just get 1 release rather then release it now, and then double dip on the special edition once the masses join in on the fun.