Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Blu-Ray, any next-gen stand alone players coming soon?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-20-07, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player, I'd prefer a dedicated player as I'm not a gamer and I've read that the PS3 is pretty loud. What's the best deal going for a BD player right now? Are there next-gen players or new players from other companies coming out soon?
Old 09-20-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to avoid obsolescense, the PS3 is your best bet. I believe most of the announced players won't be Profile 1.1 compliant. Denon announced a 1.1 compliant player but it will be expensive, I heard ~ $2k (or was that $3k?)

Last edited by GMan2819; 09-20-07 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Samsung BD-P1400 has been getting some very good reviews over at AVS. I believe it is the first player to pass DTS-HD MA audio via bitstream. It's $469 at circuitcity.com.
Old 09-20-07, 08:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The new Samsung BD-P1400 has been getting some very good reviews over at AVS. I believe it is the first player to pass DTS-HD MA audio via bitstream. It's $469 at circuitcity.com.
I'm looking at that, I'm wondering if/what the new rebate titles will be on 10/1.
Old 09-20-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Playstation 3 isn't loud at all.
Old 09-20-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Playstation 3 isn't loud at all.
Agreed. Mine 360 may sound like a jet engine but the PS3 is pretty quite.

Get a PS3. Its going to be the best Blu-ray player for the next year at least considering it should be able to handle to 1.1 and 2.0 updates. All current stand alones will not.
Old 09-20-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Agreed. Mine 360 may sound like a jet engine but the PS3 is pretty quite.

Get a PS3. Its going to be the best Blu-ray player for the next year at least considering it should be able to handle to 1.1 and 2.0 updates. All current stand alones will not.
I think I finally agree with you for once.
Old 09-20-07, 09:42 PM
Suspended

The Samsung BD-P1400 has an ethernet port.

cnet:
Right on the heels of the mostly well-reviewed BD-P1200, Samsung is charging ahead by announcing two new Blu-ray players for the fall. The BD-P1400 offers a few important features that enthusiasts have desired in a Samsung player. ...[snip].. It also keeps some of the key features of the BD-P1200, like an HDMI 1.3 port, an Ethernet jack to upgrade the firmware and 5.1 analog audio outputs.
Old 09-20-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dignam
The Samsung BD-P1400 has an ethernet port.

cnet:
Right on the heels of the mostly well-reviewed BD-P1200, Samsung is charging ahead by announcing two new Blu-ray players for the fall. The BD-P1400 offers a few important features that enthusiasts have desired in a Samsung player. ...[snip].. It also keeps some of the key features of the BD-P1200, like an HDMI 1.3 port, an Ethernet jack to upgrade the firmware and 5.1 analog audio outputs.
Yes, but it will not be able to have handle 1.1 and 2.0, hence why it was released before the Oct. 31st deadline. Ethernet is only one of a few 'mandated' features a player must have. It will not be able to handle true PiP for one.
Old 09-20-07, 10:06 PM

PS3 is no louder then other HD/BR players.
Old 09-20-07, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Yes, but it will not be able to have handle 1.1 and 2.0, hence why it was released before the Oct. 31st deadline. Ethernet is only one of a few 'mandated' features a player must have. It will not be able to handle true PiP for one.
Ok, it's probably because I'm new to this, but what does that mean? Is Sony just trying to screw Samsung by 'mandating' features they know the Samsung players don't have? Doesn't that mean their own BD players don't meet their own 'mandate'? Since I'm asking, got a link or something to define this 'mandate'?

Sony seems to be screwing their own pooch here.
Old 09-20-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by king3style
PS3 is no louder then other HD/BR players.
Whoa, I wouldn't go that far. Apparently, you haven't heard the PS3 fans kick into 3rd gear. At that point, it gives the 360 a run for its money when it comes to noise.
Old 09-20-07, 10:14 PM

I agree. I was just saying most HD/BR players are noisy compared to standard players. Same with the long loading times. Just something you have to get used to now until technology catches up.
Old 09-20-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, it's probably because I'm new to this, but what does that mean? Is Sony just trying to screw Samsung by 'mandating' features they know the Samsung players don't have? Doesn't that mean their own BD players don't meet their own 'mandate'? Since I'm asking, got a link or something to define this 'mandate'?

Sony seems to be screwing their own pooch here.
Sounds like you're diving into HDM without knowing the issues. The Wikipedia has a writeup on the whole Blu-ray mess.. Read it and then ask your questions.
Old 09-20-07, 10:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Sounds like you're diving into HDM without knowing the issues. The Wikipedia has a writeup on the whole Blu-ray mess.. Read it and then ask your questions.
No thanks, I'd rather someone held my hand than read all that wikipedia stuff. I'm sure it can be summed up quickly.
Old 09-20-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No thanks, I'd rather someone held my hand than read all that wikipedia stuff. I'm sure it can be summed up quickly.
Ok, in a nutshell:
Profile 1.1 adds a secondary video decoder for PiP capabilities, enhanced persistent memory support, at least 256mb. BD players shipping after Oct 31, 2007 must comply with Profile 1.1.

Profile 2.0 adds ethernet connectivity and support for additional persistent memory - at least 1gb. No date set as to when players must support those features.

HD DVD supporters point to this as anti-consumer because it forces people to upgrade everytime to take advantage of future capabilities whereas all HD DVD players including 1st generation players already support similar features. A few HD DVDs released already take advantage of some of these features and more are coming. Because BD is late to the table with these features, BD supporters won't get enhanced features for awhile (6 to 9 months by some estimates).

Last edited by GMan2819; 09-20-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, in a nutshell:
Profile 1.1 adds a secondary video decoder for PiP capabilities, enhanced persistent memory support, at least 256mb. BD players shipping after Oct 31, 2007 must comply with Profile 1.1.

Profile 2.0 adds ethernet connectivity and support for additional persistent memory - at least 1gb. No date set as to when players must support those features.

HD DVD supporters point to this as anti-consumer because it forces people to upgrade everytime to take advantage of future capabilities whereas all HD DVD players including 1st generation players already support similar features.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Unless a firmware update can add a piece of hardware to a stand alone player, it will not be compliant. Issues will happen when someone that is not educated buys a Blu-ray movie with the extra feature of "PiP" etc., goes home, puts the disc into his Blu-ray player, and that feature is no where to be found (or simply says 'can't display on hardware'). The BDA loves to sell players but is no way letting the public know what 1.1 or 2.0 is. Get ready for a real mess in a few months.
Old 09-20-07, 10:59 PM
Suspended

And the PS3 has lifetime 'profile' upgrades? I guess I don't understand the difference between a profile and firmware. Or is this just Sony telling us they do what they want?

Hmmm.. sounds like maybe waiting for the rumored $400 PS3 isn't a bad idea. I wish they'd just put out an 'affordable' dual format player and stop this madness.
Old 09-20-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the PS3 has lifetime 'profile' upgrades? I guess I don't understand the difference between a profile and firmware. Or is this just Sony telling us they do what they want?

Hmmm.. sounds like maybe waiting for the rumored $400 PS3 isn't a bad idea. I wish they'd just put out an 'affordable' dual format player and stop this madness.
Since the PS3 already have Ethernet built-in, and it comes with at least 20GB harddrive built in...its almost a sure thing. Considering the PS3 accounts fot at least 80% of all player sales, it would be suicide not to.
Old 09-20-07, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Since the PS3 already have Ethernet built-in, and it comes with at least 20GB harddrive built in...its almost a sure thing.
So how is that different than the Samsung BD-P1400's ethernet port?
Old 09-20-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How's this?

Profile 1.1 adds approx 2 features to BD 1.0, neither of which is very useful for watching a movie. Profile 2 adds/improves approx 2 features to v1.1, neither of which is very useful for watching a movie. But damn if Sony won't make more money getting people to buy another player to get the updates.

Seriously, PIP? It's existed for over 20 years and it's been used at least 7 times.
Old 09-20-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The PS3 has the necessary hardware to be compliant, it just needs firmware upgrades to enable them, theoretically. But since the specs are being worked on, it will be awhile before the firmware becomes available.

Most current stand-alone BD players as well as those soon to be released for this holiday season don't/won't have the necessary hardware thus requiring you to upgrade to a new machine.
Old 09-20-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how is that different than the Samsung BD-P1400's ethernet port?
According to the spec sheet, the ethernet port is only for firmware upgrades. Doesn't say anything about interactive features.

The PS3 is essentially a computer running the Linux OS so it's much easier to upgrade it to make it compliant.

Last edited by GMan2819; 09-21-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Now I remember why I don't really like Sony. I really don't care about PiP, and I don't watch special features unless I'm in love with the movie.. but I don't want to buy now and have problems with the movie portion because of all this.

It sounds like the PS3 is the only option for now, so I'll probably wait until 11/1 to see what's on the market.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone.
Old 09-21-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's there for HD DVD compliance. Samsung already said that that machine will not be BD 1.1 compliant...
Do you have a source for that? I thought all BD players released after October 31 have to be Profile 1.1 compliant. And this player seems to have the hardware (256 MB persistent memory) to allow 1.1 compliance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.