Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Ryan HD DVD Set - Cancelled?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Jack Ryan HD DVD Set - Cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Dammit, I've been wanting these.

Sad part is, I'll probably still buy them.
Old 10-17-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Unless I find them dirt cheap, I won't.
Old 10-17-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only want Hunt for Red October, so hopefully that sees an individual release soon.
Old 10-18-07, 04:37 AM

me too
Old 10-18-07, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
What do the backs of the individual cases say? Just curious... no big deal to me either way, I'll probably just throw the box away.
For the record, here's the info on the back of the boxes:

HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
Commentary by Director John McTiernan
Beneath The Surface - Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailer

PATRIOT GAMES
Patriot Games Up Close - Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailer

CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
Behind The Danger - Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailer

THE SUM OF ALL FEARS
Commentary by the Director and Cinematographer
Commentary by the Director and Novelist
The Making of The Sum Of All Fears
Creating Reality: The Visual Effects of The Sum Of All Fears
Theatrical Trailer

Again, NONE of the above are on these HD DVDs.
Old 10-18-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Top Gun was originally supposed to have all the features from the dvd set, but those were scrapped before the release. I'm guessing the same thing happened here and they forgot to correct the packaging. I hope this isn't a trend with Paramount catalog titles.
Old 10-18-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got word...Paramount is RECALLING the set. So once again, release date TBA. But at least they're going to correct it.

We won't be shipping any of ours...but if you already got yours or if yours already shipped, the best thing is to contact your e-tailer about the return process.
Old 10-18-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Just got word...Paramount is RECALLING the set. So once again, release date TBA. But at least they're going to correct it.

We won't be shipping any of ours...but if you already got yours or if yours already shipped, the best thing is to contact your e-tailer about the return process.
That's good to hear. I had canceled my order anyway, so I'll gladly wait for them to correct this.

I just hope Top Gun is an isolated incident.
Old 10-18-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the record, here's the info on the back of the boxes:
<snip>

Again, NONE of the above are on these HD DVDs.
Thanks... well I don't care about any of them, but that is pretty tacky. Thanks for the recall info, too.
Old 10-18-07, 08:20 AM
Banned

Or sell it on ebay for profits!
Old 10-18-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE:
Here's the official release from Paramount...the way this is worded they MAY only be recalling them to correct the covers, and NOT the HD DVDs themselves...

Please be advised that there are typographical errors on the packaging for the Jack Ryan Special Collector's Edition HD-DVD. The packaging inadvertently notes special features that are not on the HD-DVD.

As a result, this product is being recalled and street date is being delayed. We ask that you do not sell or rent this product to consumers and that you stop shipments to additional destinations. A Paramount Home Entertainment Representative will contact you with an RA number to facilitate sending the product back to Paramount Home Entertainment's manufacturing facility. Returned product should include any unit previously shipped to retailers or other destinations as well as your on-hand inventory.

We will provide further information on the availability of new product shortly.

Should you have any further questions, please contact a Paramount Home Entertainment Representative.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
I contacted Paramount to let them know the general concensus among HD DVD owners is that we'd rather wait for Paramount to "get it right" than for them to simply correct the box covers and release these movies bare-bones. We'll have to wait and see what they do....

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-18-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they do just redo the covers and go 'bare bones' I hope they lower the MSRP....
Old 10-18-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yeah, I'll take bare bones, with a lower MSRP
Old 10-18-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Everyone loses if Paramount starts dropping the ball (as it appears they have). Less incentive for folks like me to jump into HD-DVD.... higher probability that if and when Paramount goes back to nuetral these are what will be slapped onto BD discs... and lower HD sales all around due to fans avoiding barebones releases.
Old 10-18-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard to believe that the QC people at Paramount actually assumed the content was on the HD-DVD's by simply looking at the back of the boxes. You would think they would actually "check" the discs first. Unbelievable.
Old 10-18-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Dammit. I'll take the set as is right now.

You know they're not going to re-author these discs with the extras and trash what they have. They're just going to redo the art and box.

That's what they did when one of the Star Trek SCE's said it had a trailer it did not have. They just changed the box.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 10-18-07 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
It's hard to believe that the QC people at Paramount actually assumed the content was on the HD-DVD's by simply looking at the back of the boxes. You would think they would actually "check" the discs first. Unbelievable.
I'm 99.99% certain this is not QC's fault. QC operator's generally work with some type of excel spread sheet that lists elements that are supposed included on the disc. The QC department probably had the most up-to-date info, which did not list supplements.

This is another case of one side of the studio saying one thing (Marketing), while the other side actually knows the details (Technical).

fitprod
Old 10-18-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE:
Here's the official release from Paramount...the way this is worded they MAY only be recalling them to correct the covers, and NOT the HD DVDs themselves...

I contacted Paramount to let them know the general concensus among HD DVD owners is that we'd rather wait for Paramount to "get it right" than for them to simply correct the box covers and release these movies bare-bones. We'll have to wait and see what they do....
Completely agree. To simply reprint the slipcovers and box for the set so as to not list the extra features is wrong. If their intentions were to release them, then they need to be included.

Imagine if they don't include them after all, then in 1-2 years they rerelease the set with the extras, while marketing it as improved. I can imagine the backlash from HD-DVD owners towards Paramount. They need to get it right on the first attempt.
Old 10-18-07, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Dammit. I'll take the set as is right now.
---------------------------------------------------------
You know they're not going to re-author these discs with the extras and trash what they have. They're just going to redo the art and box.

That's what they did when one of the Star Trek SCE's said it had a trailer it did not have. They just changed the box.

Mine actually just shipped a few days ago and I could refuse accepting the package,
but I think I'll keep it as I wanted to have those movies in high-def anyway...
It's really not that big deal to me if the back cover is wrong and they are barebones.
(though I wouldn't complain about extras:-)
Warrior

Last edited by Warrior; 10-18-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Warrior
Mine actually just shipped a few days ago and I could refuse accepting the package,
but I think I'll keep it as I wanted to have those movies in high-def anyway...
It's really not that big deal to me if the back cover is wrong and they are barebones.
(though it wouldn't complain about extras:-)
Warrior
Mine was shipped also from dvdplanet....not sure what I should do!?
Old 10-18-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll probably get a good penny for it on Ebay from some impatient person.
Old 10-18-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by matome
You'll probably get a good penny for it on Ebay from some impatient person.
Hmm....if they are gonna release as barebones, ill just keep them.
Old 10-18-07, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Hmm....if they are gonna release as barebones, ill just keep them.
Made up my mind:-) I will keep mine, if the only changes will be a redone cover then I see no advantage having to wait even longer for the release of these movies.
Recalling and resupplying the movies might take quite some time.

Warrior
Old 10-18-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got a request from Paramount that we remove existing artwork and that "revised" artwork will be available shortly.

So it looks like there's a 99% chance that they'll still be releasing this set bare-bones.
Old 10-18-07, 02:31 PM
Banned

Just got a request from Paramount that we remove existing artwork and that "revised" artwork will be available shortly.

So it looks like there's a 99% chance that they'll still be releasing this set bare-bones.
I, too, seriously doubt they're gonna go through the expense of repressing the discs to include the extras.

The only one I'll really miss is the commentary track with Clancy on Sum of All Fears. That is a great track, since he spends so much time criticizing the director on all the things he did wrong with the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.