Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just picked up the Spider-Man trilogy on Blu

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up the Spider-Man trilogy on blu-ray about two hours ago. They are now on general sale here in Europe it seems, at least here in Iceland.

It's "All Region" (thankfully, since my PS3 is region A) and will therefore play anywhere.

I had both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 on DVD and did a quick comparison on my 1080p Mitsubishi HC5000. Spider-Man definitely looks better on blu-ray than DVD, but it's not a gigantic leap in my opinion. More details, better colors and a brighter picture which helps a lot since Spider-Man is quite a dark film, but it's not a mind-blowing upgrade from the DVD.

Spider-Man 2 however looks...and pardon my french...fuc*ing PHENOMENAL. It's leaps and bounds beyond the DVD, and switching between them was almost surreal in terms of difference. The DVD (standard 2 disc version) looks like absolute crap when compared to the spectacular blu-ray transfer (and I remember being quite happy with that DVD transfer at the time, although it wasn't reference quality). I just don't have the right words to express my delight with the utter beauty and detail this transfer exhibits. I don't remember seeing this amount of clarity and detail when I saw in the theater even.

Spider-Man 3 looks just as good as 2, but I have no DVD to compare it with. However, it's just spectacular. These two films look as good as anything I've seen so far on Blu or HD. I'm not the right man to ask about the sound quality, as I still haven't upgraded to a receiver capable of decoding the new streams (sound just isn't all that important to me), but judging by what has been done for the picture, I'm sure the sound is just as impressive. This is sure to be a package a lot of people will want to pick up.
Old 10-04-07, 06:43 PM

I'm tired of all you foreigner's getting these High Def DVDs first. You'd think as the greatest nation in the world we could at least get all these before everyone else!

Bah, thanks for the first impressions anyway. Looking forward to picking this up.

mod note: apparently, the U.S. is only about the 9th best nation in the world, so you can't make comments like that in the HD forum. -namja

Last edited by namja; 10-08-07 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome, thanks for the review.
Old 10-04-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool to hear. I have this pre-ordered.
Old 10-05-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm definitely getting Spider-Man 3 on Blu, but I'm honestly on the fence about upgrading my copies of 1 and 2.
Old 10-05-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm definitely getting Spider-Man 3 on Blu, but I'm honestly on the fence about upgrading my copies of 1 and 2.
I think its worth it for the trilogy only because Spider-Man 3 is so ridiculously priced high, while the trilogy is a bit more reasonable.
Old 10-06-07, 03:38 PM

Have heard the same about the PQ from someone who has had a sneak peek at the set over here in the UK, cant wait as its released here next week and for a change the UK price seems to be inline with the US price.
Old 10-06-07, 03:58 PM

Spider-man 3 is the worst action movie i have seen in a very long time. I will definitely buy 1 and 2, but 3 is a complete pass for me.
Old 10-06-07, 04:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Too bad currently the only way to get 1 and 2 is to buy all three in the trilogy pack.
Old 10-07-07, 12:11 AM
Banned

Thanks for the early review. Definitely getting the box set. I'm one of like three people who actually loved the third film.
Old 10-07-07, 01:33 AM
Suspended

Anyways, even though I don't like the Spiderman movies they will certainly sell like hot cakes.

mod note: removed quoted material regarding Loki's post above. -namja

Last edited by namja; 10-08-07 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-07-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rusty James
Thanks for the early review. Definitely getting the box set. I'm one of like three people who actually loved the third film.
I didn't quite love it per say but I certainly enjoyed it.
Old 10-07-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I didn't quite love it per say but I certainly enjoyed it.
Same here. Probably the worst of the three movies, but a very enjoyable film nonetheless. I'm looking forward to the blu-box.
Old 10-07-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
23 days to go!

I enjoyed the third film also... I just dont like how they need to keep adding an extra villian every film.

I could understand it when the 6th film coming out.

The Sinister Six!
Old 10-07-07, 01:43 PM

Definitely upgrading to Blu on this one. I've watched the original at least a dozen times and Spidy 2 in the 30s somewhere (Spidy has always been my favorate superhero.) While part 3 was a letdown for me, I still enjoyed it and want to have the complete Trilogy.

Can't wait to see these on HiDef!

-Jason
Old 10-08-07, 07:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-snip-

By the way, I did wince when Spider-Man landed in front of a giant waving American flag in S3. Way too over the top.

mod note: removed material regarding Loki's post above. -namja

Last edited by namja; 10-08-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
By the way, I did wince when Spider-Man landed in front of a giant waving American flag in S3. Way too over the top.
I had no problem with that. Maybe not as effective a scene as Superman returning the American flag to the White House at the end of the 2nd film, but I liked it.

I only wish Bryan Singer had the same sentiment when making Superman Returns. Then he wouldn't have changed "the American way" to "all that stuff".

Then again, I'm a Texan. So I guess I am overly patriotic.
Old 10-08-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
There were far more wince worthy moments than Spidey landing in front of the flag in S3... though that was certainly one of them.
Old 10-08-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
To ALL, especially Loki, ThriceDamned, chanster, True_Story1011:

Many of your posts have been deleted or edited. You're all equally at fault for hijacking this thread. Please keep this thread about Spiderman. Thank you.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 10-08-07, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wonder how Spider-Man 3 will sell compared to Spider-Man the boxset? I'd HOPE more people would buy the boxset for all 3 films...but I have a feeling that Spider-Man 3 will outsell it 4:1. I hope BB has a good price on it come release day. I have some Reward Zone certs to blow.
Old 10-08-07, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

I bought Spider-man 3 on dvd. I have a upscaling dvd player and i can say that I've not see a better transfer in a long time. The movie look amazing, it is crystal sharp and rich color, no grain what so ever. PERFECT!!!!!!! Just need DTS that would be a mindblowing.
Old 10-08-07, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by zepplin
I bought Spider-man 3 on dvd. I have a upscaling dvd player and i can say that I've not see a better transfer in a long time. The movie look amazing, it is crystal sharp and rich color, no grain what so ever. PERFECT!!!!!!! Just need DTS that would be a mindblowing.
So where did you get the movie 2+ weeks in advance?

Edit: I see you're in Iceland...whats the region out there?
Old 10-08-07, 02:11 PM

I wonder if packing Spidey 3 in the box with the new PS3 40 gb and 80gb versions is really a good idea? What about the folks who would like the box set? Sure you could just go buy 1 & 2 but what about the box itself? Kind of makes me wish they just included some other relatively good movie instead.
Old 10-08-07, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jamers
I wonder if packing Spidey 3 in the box with the new PS3 40 gb and 80gb versions is really a good idea? What about the folks who would like the box set? Sure you could just go buy 1 & 2 but what about the box itself? Kind of makes me wish they just included some other relatively good movie instead.
Well, Spiderman 3's PQ/AQ is supposedly the best we'll be seeing on any home media for a long time, sony spent whatever it took to make sure it was perfection in everyway, so really, what better movie for a showcase of what blu-ray is capable of? If they want the box set, they can sell the pack in on ebay or give it to a friend, trade it in, etc etc.
Old 10-08-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
I wonder if packing Spidey 3 in the box with the new PS3 40 gb and 80gb versions is really a good idea? What about the folks who would like the box set?
I asked the same thing about the upcoming Bourne being packed in with HD-DVD players. It will be interesting to see how sales are affected for the titles, both of which are sure to be huge hits. And yes, it does seem like a good move to sell systems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.