Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: Warner Bros. and Wal-Mart offered considerable money to go format exclusive..

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

RUMOR: Warner Bros. and Wal-Mart offered considerable money to go format exclusive..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The initial part of the article stated that Walmart was leaning towards blu-ray. You had initially made it sound that Walmart was exclusively working on a deal with Toshiba.
Old 09-10-07, 09:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Edit: Eh, not worth it.
Old 09-10-07, 09:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
if Toshiba and WB really do give Walmart money they don't deserve - I'll boycott. But again if Walmart were that stupid not to stock HD-DVD and not carry 'Transformers' then they really are the douchebrains they originally are.
Old 09-10-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been "boycotting" Wal-Mart for a long time but that has more to do with the people that shop there.
Old 09-10-07, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've been "boycotting" Wal-Mart for a long time but that has more to do with the people that shop there.
rent the documentary 'Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price' it's really a sickening depressing revealing look into Walmart and how they royally fuck with their employees and their suppliers all in the name of low price.
Old 09-10-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy wouldn't WB going HD DVD exclusive turn the tide. I mean really, you get the big three vs. Sony, FOX and Disney with each team having some smaller supporting studios. HD DVD will rule catalog, but 90s and newer may go to the BD side. Weird. Waiting for a concrete announcement. If this happened, 3 of the big 5 for Christmas would be HD DVD exclusive. Think Target may be second guessing that very early choice.
Old 09-10-07, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Well, if Warner decides to go HD-DVD the Hi Def market will become the SACD/DVD Audio of the film industry. Cause HD-DVD will have Universal, Paramount, and Warner and Blu-ray will have Disney, Fox, MGM, and Sony.
Everyone knows Sony will never cross over. Fox wont go HD-DVD either cause of the region free aspect of HD, neither will MGM cause fox releases their films, and Disney as spent millions pushing BD that it wont be likely that they will cross either.

After the contract period for Warner and Paramount they will probably both go back to neutral and we will be back to where we were and by that time consumers wont give two shits.

I say this cause I believe that the format war does more bad things then good but I know some think the format war is a good thing so they probably have different theory.
Old 09-10-07, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
Well, if Warner decides to go HD-DVD the Hi Def market will become the SACD/DVD Audio of the film industry. Cause HD-DVD will have Universal, Paramount, and Warner and Blu-ray will have Disney, Fox, MGM, and Sony.
Everyone knows Sony will never cross over. Fox wont go HD-DVD either cause of the region free aspect of HD, neither will MGM cause fox releases their films, and Disney as spent millions pushing BD that it wont be likely that they will cross either.

After the contract period for Warner and Paramount they will probably both go back to neutral and we will be back to where we were and by that time consumers wont give two shits.

I say this cause I believe that the format war does more bad things then good but I know some think the format war is a good thing so they probably have different theory.
Funny, I remember Fox and Disney releasing on Divx back in the day too.
Sony will stick with Blu-ray until PS6, thats just Sony.
Old 09-10-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now that it has been confirmed that Tosh's offer to WB is old news (WB rejected it sometime ago ) I would rather concentrate on the this fact:

Why is it that WB only attended the BLU-RAY press conference at the IFA? Somehow they missed the memo that the HDDVD group also had one?

I'd rather ponder facts than read through rumors.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-11-07, 12:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
But any pondering you do ends up being conjecture, anyway. Until WB announces something, they're format neutral.
Old 09-11-07, 12:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Now that it has been confirmed that Tosh's offer to WB is old news (WB rejected it sometime ago ) I would rather concentrate on the this fact:

Why is it that WB only attended the BLU-RAY press conference at the IFA? Somehow they missed the memo that the HDDVD group also had one?

Ciao,
Pro-B
Because if WB did not show up at the Blu-ray conference I'm sure Blu-ray.com would explode. I'm not too worried about HD DVD switching sides due to the fact P/DW is not in the HD DVD camp.

Edit: Crap. I didn't mean to respond to your comments. Ugh. Stupid Alcohol.
Old 09-11-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake77444
Obvious HD-DVD Fanboy. Enough said.
Actually, what is obvious is that you can't refute my substantive point, hence your need to resort to name calling and cheap one-liners.

Last edited by ResIpsa; 09-11-07 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-11-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that it has been confirmed that Tosh's offer to WB is old news (WB rejected it sometime ago )
could u provide a link to this confirmation please pro-b? steve nickerson, a pretty strong hd dvd advocate, left his job as head of highdef at warner brothers not long ago. it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the dates of these things happening.
Old 09-11-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Steve Nickerson was a strong advocate of totalHD/both formats.

also, wasn't LionsGate absent from the BD conference at IFA?
Old 09-11-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
could u provide a link to this confirmation please pro-b?
He's referencing either the update on The Digital Bits or "WickyWoo" on Blu-ray.com.

It's not really "confirmation", though. Bill and WickyWoo both point to some anonymous sources, and Bill's 'apparently' in the statement sounds hesitant enough that I wouldn't take it as gospel.

If this sort of deal were in the works -- at any studio, really -- no one would admit to it. It very well may be old news, but we have no way of knowing one way or the other. WickyWoo says that the offer was made at the same time as the one to Paramount, so those labeling this as "ancient history", if this has indeed come and gone, are exaggerating. Even if those guys' sources are correct and a deal with the HD DVD camp was passed on, do we know that that's the only deal? Again, I'm not saying they're wrong, but we don't have a way of knowing for sure.

Lionsgate wasn't at IFA, but IFA is a European-centric trade show, and Lionsgate, as far as I know, only distributes in North America. There's no reason for Lionsgate to have been there.
Old 09-11-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks adam.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I thought Steve Nickerson was a strong advocate of totalHD/both formats.
steve made quite a few predictions over the last year or so, all of which seemed to favour hd dvd very strongly, and none of which came close to the eventual reality. i don't have the link now but his sales predictions for hd dvd and bd were wildly off the mark, and heavily favoured hd dvd. word in the industry is that warner brothers were told to go neutral by their parent company time warner, and that they otherwise were not inclined to take that decision.
Old 09-11-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
but Walmart sets the bars so low in their sheer evilness, it has drawn an entire nation to be cheap bastards and not to give a toss at what cost and outcome on local, national and international economics.

(steps off soapbox)
Not trying to hijack here, but do you honestly think Target is that much better? Their veneer is a bit shinier but deep down they aren't that different.
Old 09-11-07, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Not trying to hijack here, but do you honestly think Target is that much better? Their veneer is a bit shinier but deep down they aren't that different.
honestly - I would hope so, but I don't think Target is that blatant about it's shortcomings and flaws as Walmart is.
Old 09-11-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I would rather concentrate on the this fact:

The only thing this demonstrates is that the BDA asked all of its remaining studios to go to IFA to put on a show of solidarity after the Paramount announcement.

The HD DVD camp obviously didn't feel they needed to do that, because they had big enough news to crow about with Paramount.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-11-07 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The only thing this 'fact' of your demonstrates is that the BDA was pissing its pants after the Paramount announcement and begged all of its remaining studios to go to IFA to put on a show of solidarity.

The HD DVD camp obviously didn't need to do that, because they were too busy crowing about Paramount.
is this sort of comment really necessary?
Old 09-11-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
rent the documentary 'Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price' it's really a sickening depressing revealing look into Walmart and how they royally fuck with their employees and their suppliers all in the name of low price.
I am guessing it is like all other documentaries that just exist to bash someone. I don't like walmart, but I am begining to dislike all documentaries even more. The kvrdave Story: Why Dogs Deserve to Die would probably make a lot of people hate dogs, but it would be one sided, gloss over problems with the premise, and mislead. Well, that's what people who disagreed would say, anyway.
Old 09-11-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just read that WB has a stake in BR patents. Is that true?
Old 09-11-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
is this sort of comment really necessary?
I agree. Let's keep it a little more civil.
Old 09-11-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's not really "confirmation", though. Bill and WickyWoo both point to some anonymous sources, and Bill's 'apparently' in the statement sounds hesitant enough that I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Well, Bill is both right and wrong. He's right that Warners has accepted no such deal, but he's wrong in saying it's "old news" and off the table. It's only "old news" in the sense that the offer was made a while back and not recently. He also fails to report that Sony has been trying to lure Warners to Blu-ray with a similar deal.

Don't know if it's been touched upon here, but I've heard a rumor that Warners may "test the waters" by taking some upcoming releases and making them HD DVD only.
Old 09-11-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I just read that WB has a stake in BR patents. Is that true?
They are a member of the BDA, so maybe.

I DO know that they are one of the FOUNDING MEMBERS of the DVD Forum, thus they certainly get some sort of kickback from HD DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.