Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Directv new HD channels- here's some tips

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-04-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember: You need directv branded receivers to get the new hd channels... i have a samsung hd receiver and i had to upgrade....

i got a hd dvr hr-20 for $0.....

i have only been a customer for one year..... here's how my conversation went. Hopefully you guys can use the same tactics with them to get the same deal:

Me:Its ridiculous to pay 299 for a receiver that i need to get your new hd channels. I have been with you guys for 1 year and i have nfl sunday ticket and the highest package. I might as well cancel and go with FIOS....

CSR: okay let me see your account..... ok since we value our customers we will give you the hr20 for $0.... how does that sound?

Me: F'in A. see you friday...

Last edited by raven56706; 09-04-07 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Remember: You need directv branded receivers to get the new hd channels... i have a samsung hd receiver and i had to upgrade....

i got a hd dvr hr-20 for $0.....

i have only been a customer for one year..... here's how my conversation went. Hopefully you guys can use the same tactics with them to get the same deal:

Me:Its ridiculous to pay 299 for a receiver that i need to get your new hd channels. I have been with you guys for 1 year and i have nfl sunday ticket and the highest package. I might as well cancel and go with FIOS....

CSR: okay let me see your account..... ok since we value our customers we will give you the hr20 for $0.... how does that sound?

Me: F'in A.
Or....

Me (to voice response operator): Cancel service

Me (to human being who answers very quickly): I'd like the new HD-DVR.

DirecTV: OK. That will be $19.99 for shipping/handling, but otherwise free.

Me: See you Saturday..
Old 09-04-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I called at the wrong time of the month, but just a week ago none of that worked for me. I got:

"I'm checking your eligible promotions now...you don't qualify for a free HD DVR, you have to pay 299"

or

"No, we don't give these away. You would have to pay 299"

Bunch of bullshit
Old 09-04-07, 02:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I just want my fucking NFL network in HD! stop jerking us off DirecTV!
Old 09-04-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadpool
Maybe I called at the wrong time of the month, but just a week ago none of that worked for me. I got:

"I'm checking your eligible promotions now...you don't qualify for a free HD DVR, you have to pay 299"

or

"No, we don't give these away. You would have to pay 299"

Bunch of bullshit
did you talk to the customer retention area.... because i got the same answer as you in the sales department but then when i talked to the customer retention, i said(see first post) and i got the hd dvr for free...
Old 09-04-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
did you talk to the customer retention area.... because i got the same answer as you in the sales department but then when i talked to the customer retention, i said(see first post) and i got the hd dvr for free...
That's what I was getting at with my "cancel service" comment. Simply say that to the voice recognition operator, and you are automatically routed to retention instead of the normal CSRs.
Old 09-04-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same shit happened to me. My hdtivo busted and I needed a new receiver. They told me it would be $299 and they could not give me a deal. I asked how much it would be to cancel and they said $75. So I said "It would be cheaper for me to just cancel and go with Comcast, who will install everything tomorrow, give me a big discount, plus free HBO." They just said sorry, nothing we can do for you.

So I cancelled and Comcast came the next day. I couldnt believe it. My monthly Directv bill about $75.
Old 09-04-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both times I talked to them...no go
Old 09-04-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't you need a 5-LNB satellite dish as well? I've had DirecTV a couple years now and I'd like to know what I need to upgrade to get the new channels.

Last edited by RichardW; 09-04-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. That would be part of the upgrade.
Old 09-04-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just looked at their website and it says I can order a new dish for free. I guess getting a new DVR is the tricky part. I've been a customer for almost 2 years here and probably 2 more when I lived in Houston. I'll have to see if that gets me anywhere.
Old 09-04-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but will the old HD Tivo work for these new channels you guys speak of?
Old 09-05-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it wont.