Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix chooses Blu-Ray, dropping HD DVD from Rentals.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-11-08, 07:44 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...EN388420080211

"Read all about it!".
Old 02-11-08, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fork. Stick. Done.
Old 02-11-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is kind of stupid if you ask me. I can see not getting new Warner titles, but considering all the obscure titles they carry on DVD, they're going to just stop carrying existing and upcoming HD DVDs? This isn't some B&M retailer wanting to clear out room and not worry about confusing customers.
Old 02-11-08, 07:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
This is kind of stupid if you ask me. I can see not getting new Warner titles, but considering all the obscure titles they carry on DVD, they're going to just stop carrying existing and upcoming HD DVDs? This isn't some B&M retailer wanting to clear out room and not worry about confusing customers.
People keep saying this, but the fact that there are 2 formats will always keep 99% of the customer base FAR away from ever jumping in. When there is one format, there is a safety to it that you will not get burned buying those movies and that is how these companies are going to make money. You have to realize, companys that rely on physical media NEED HD on disc to survive and flourish, or they will be bypassed by online downloads. They will not allow that to happen, hence the Netflix news today.
Old 02-11-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering there's zero chance of me paying $100+ for Star Trek on HDDVD, Netflix was the only way I got to see them.
Old 02-11-08, 08:00 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Ironic that I will have to drop Netflix and stick to Blockbuster Online to get my HD-DVD movies. Actually, my local Blockbuster store (Danada Blockbuster in Wheaton IL) has been stocking all of the new HD-DVD movies, they even have multiple copies of the bigger titles like Bourne Ultimatum and last week's The Brave One.
Old 02-11-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Well shit. That sucks for me because I've been renting HD DVD's so I didn't have to buy them.

Looks like I'll be renting the DVD versions of Into The Wild and Bee Movie. At least Beowulf and Zodiac DC will be on import Blu-Ray.
Old 02-11-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
Ironic that I will have to drop Netflix and stick to Blockbuster Online to get my HD-DVD movies. Actually, my local Blockbuster store (Danada Blockbuster in Wheaton IL) has been stocking all of the new HD-DVD movies, they even have multiple copies of the bigger titles like Bourne Ultimatum and last week's The Brave One.
Wow that's good to know. I actually go by there once a week on my way to/from school.
Old 02-11-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
People keep saying this, but the fact that there are 2 formats will always keep 99% of the customer base FAR away from ever jumping in. When there is one format, there is a safety to it that you will not get burned buying those movies and that is how these companies are going to make money. You have to realize, companys that rely on physical media NEED HD on disc to survive and flourish, or they will be bypassed by online downloads. They will not allow that to happen, hence the Netflix news today.
I still don't see why they need to drop it. People already know the format's days are numbered, and some of them may still want to rent HD DVDs, especially when there are many titles not available on BD.

Then again, this may be a move designed to put pressure on Universal and Paramount to support BD.
Old 02-11-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Might have to move back to blockbuster online again, and we just went back to netflix recently. Will ask the wife, she's the real DVD renter.
Old 02-11-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That really sucks. Since the Warner descision, I've stopped buying HD DVD and was using netflix. Now I guess I'll just upconvert DVD's.
Old 02-11-08, 08:12 AM

Game Over.
Old 02-11-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bold move by Netflix. I'm trying to figure out why it makes a difference for them to have only 1 HD format versus 2 and what their angle is. Do they stand to make more money by the existence of a single HD format? It seems like this decision would indicate as much, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around just how yet. Nonetheless, I think their decision was made because they did see that they had a role in this format war and choosing Blu-ray could expedite the end to the war. Whatever it means for them, I'm glad they did it. And seeing as how I've bought into only Blu-ray thus far and rent about 3-4 BD per week from Netflix, this decision doesn't harm me much (may result in a little longer wait for BD titles in the long run or in the HDM rental price increase that they have discussed).
Old 02-11-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, looks like I'm dropping Netflix!
Old 02-11-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone on HD Digest forums mentioned perhaps the scratch-resistant coating on Blu discs makes them a better format for shipping through the mail constantly and being handled by multiple users. I don't know; it's a possibility. I wouldn't say the sole reason, but could be part of their rhetoric on the issue.
Old 02-11-08, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Someone on HD Digest forums mentioned perhaps the scratch-resistant coating on Blu discs makes them a better format for shipping through the mail constantly and being handled by multiple users. I don't know; it's a possibility. I wouldn't say the sole reason, but could be part of their rhetoric on the issue.
I've rented many a HD-DVD from netflix and there was never a playback issue.

It's a far more possibility they were paid off - not that I'm suggesting that.
Old 02-11-08, 08:22 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
While this may be true, I've had more Blu-ray discs fail than HD-DVDs, and in all cases the HD-DVD was a combo. Some of the blu-rays I've gotten were splotchy, but most look fine but do no load, or skip a lot. I just got Mr Woodcock last week and it skipped several times during the movie.
Old 02-11-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And DVD's don't scratch?

This just sucks...I may switch back to Blockbuster after this move. UNLESS...Netflix gets a LARGE supply of Blu-Ray discs. Honestly, both service SUCK with HD/BD....all are VERY LONG WAIT from Netflix (Blockbuster was not much better also).
Old 02-11-08, 08:23 AM

I suggest anyone else not happy with this decision contact netflix:

Customer service link:
http://www.netflix.com/Suggest?type=2&lnkctr=cu_suggest

Investor relations link:
http://ir.netflix.com/contactus.cfm
Old 02-11-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
People keep saying this, but the fact that there are 2 formats will always keep 99% of the customer base FAR away from ever jumping in.
Another one of your misrepresentation BD comments. The fact there are two formats is secondary to price, present library and non-player equipment issues. A far second.

Anyway, this will impact a queue a great deal. I have several HD-DVD only titles I'd like to get, not to mention sometimes the HD-DVD version was ready to ship and the BD was on a wait.

Just to make sure that the FACTS are accurately represented, the article does say "phase out" by the END of the year. So it's not an immediate thing. Truth is HD-DVD is probably going to be phased out by the end of the year itself naturally.
Old 02-11-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple thoughts on this.

On the obscure titles they carry, I believe Netflix has the capacity to actually replicate their own discs. I have received several indie films with plain silver disc art that says "Red Label Entertainment", i.e., Netflix, where those discs were released by actual studios for retail. So in this case, it doesn't cost them much to replicate a disc here and there when someone actually wants the title.

With HD DVD (and Blu-Ray for that matter), the discs are essentially redundant. So dropping the HD DVD doesn't mean dropping the title. I would also guess Netflix has cheaper avenues for acquiring DVD's and selling them used than they do for HD DVD and Blu-Ray.
Old 02-11-08, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Another one of your misrepresentation BD comments.

The fact there are two formats is secondary to price, present library and non-player equipment issues. A far second.
IMO, none of those matter when you have to worry about owning a format that will not be available in 1-2 years. So none of those points will ever even cross 99% of netflix customers minds. The war is the #1 thing everyone considers, none of the other factors really can change that. That is my opinion however, and you sir, are entitled to yours.
Old 02-11-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Son of a bitch. Hopefully they will sell their stock to their userbase.
Old 02-11-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Just to make sure that the FACTS are accurately represented, the article does say "phase out" by the END of the year. So it's not an immediate thing. Truth is HD-DVD is probably going to be phased out by the end of the year itself naturally.
Unfortunately it also says they will only buy Blu-Ray's "going forward", which I take to mean that anything released on HD DVD only from now won't be available except on DVD.
Old 02-11-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I suggest anyone else not happy with this decision contact netflix:

Customer service link:
http://www.netflix.com/Suggest?type=2&lnkctr=cu_suggest

Investor relations link:
http://ir.netflix.com/contactus.cfm
Sent a letter showing my disappointment, and will probably follow by changing my service to Blockbuster Online. I say this as a supporter of both formats, and as a person who prefers to watch movies only in hi-def, if possible. Netflix will be turning their back on many HD DVD exclusives with this decision. It also doesn't help that getting hi-def content on either format has taken forever in the past.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.