DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Who's got the most HD channels? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/510374-whos-got-most-hd-channels.html)

kvrdave 08-28-07 01:46 PM

Who's got the most HD channels?

As of 7/07, from Sound & Vision

Cablevision - 39
Dish Network - 39
Verizon FiOS - 28
AT&T U-verse - 26
Time Warner - 26
Comcast - 23
Directv - 23
Cox - 18
Charter - 18
Brighthouse - 17
Mediacom - 15

I know I ended up going with Dish over Directv because I was only interested in HD channels. More added to all of them all the time, it looks like.

DonnachaOne 08-28-07 01:50 PM

The question is not the MOST but the BEST to me.

kvrdave 08-28-07 01:55 PM

I haven't found a place that just has the crap, but doesn't carry the networks, main stations, etc., personally.

Chew 08-28-07 01:57 PM

There's been a few rumors that DirecTV will be going live with upwards of 50 new HD channels pretty shortly (maybe even only a week).

They've been promising that sorta thing for about 3-4 years now, however.

Admiral7 08-28-07 02:01 PM

They've actually said they're adding 140 new HD channels between now and the end of the year. I would guess that a large number of those channels will be local HD channels for CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox in various markets. I started receiving local HD channels a few months ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They're also adding several new channels in September, because they sent something in the mail saying I needed to upgrade my HD DVR receiver if it hadn't been already in order to get them. I upgraded it at the first of the year in anticipation. I think DirecTV is the way to go if you haven't gotten anything right now.

pinata242 08-28-07 02:03 PM

Direct doesn't have KJRH-HD yet, do they?

kvrdave 08-28-07 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Admiral7
They've actually said they're adding 140 new HD channels between now and the end of the year. I would guess that a large number of those channels will be local HD channels for CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox in various markets. I started receiving local HD channels a few months ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They're also adding several new channels in September, because they sent something in the mail saying I needed to upgrade my HD DVR receiver if it hadn't been already in order to get them. I upgraded it at the first of the year in anticipation. I think DirecTV is the way to go if you haven't gotten anything right now.

I only switched because they didn't have my locals. But I remember them promising the moon every few weeks, and I would go with whoever had the best/most today if I were buying today. But I'm a little bitter from sticking it out for so long on the basis of promises with Directv.

It would be nice if they actually said what channels they were going to have and when. It might actually make people have an informed decision. The fact that they don't kinda tells me it isn't all they are hyping it to be.

Again, I'm a little bitter towards them. :lol:

darkside 08-28-07 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
The question is not the MOST but the BEST to me.

I have AT&T Uverse and their HD quality is horrible. Worse than stuff I have seen on Direct TV. I canceled the HD service and went back to OTA.

pro-bassoonist 08-28-07 02:11 PM

I've been with DishNetwork for about a year now and could not be any happier. Considered going with Direct TV and waited to see what their promises will deliver (as mentioned correctly above)...and waited, and waited.

I have not experienced a single blip with them. I also plan on staying with them indefinitely as they are the ONLY satellite provider in my area that offers ESPN-Deportes and they have the Champions League exclusive rights for full coverage in the US (this was a very strong motivator for me as ESPN-"regular" appear convinced that real soccer is only played in England, hence their consistent bias in showing only British teams, yet I am interested in Italian and Spanish soccer: AC Milan/ Barca).

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1...ionixl4rp7.jpg
Ciao,
Pro-B

Mopower 08-28-07 02:14 PM

Directv send up a new satellite called D10 and will be providing new HD channels the first few weeks of Sept.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=87235

Available Now:

70 HBO East
71 SHO East
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 UHD
75 TNT
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HD Net Movies
79 HD Net

98 National Geographic Channel Sneak Peek (Times vary)
332 MHD Sneek Peek (Times vary)

99 HD Pay-Per-View

Depending on service area and equipment:

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
CW
MY Network TV

Local Regional Sports Network

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Discovery Channel (simulcast)
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TBS
TLC
Versus/Golf

October 1st

The Weather Channel

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

21 Regional Sports Networks:

Blackout Rules still apply!

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM
Travel Channel

Chew 08-28-07 02:17 PM

^ How much of a HD package price increase will all those channels bring?

das Monkey 08-28-07 03:01 PM

Initially, I don't think there is a price increase. At least that's what they told me when I got the new MPEG-4 DVR. Of course, that will change in time.

das

Chew 08-28-07 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
At least that's what they told me when I got the new MPEG-4 DVR.

In your opinion, how does that DVR stack up to it's TiVo predecessor?

islandclaws 08-28-07 03:06 PM

I work for Cox and we're planning on rolling out close to 50 new HD channels by the end of '08. Good, because we need 'em.

pinata242 08-28-07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I work for Cox and we're planning on rolling out close to 50 new HD channels by the end of '08. Good, because we need 'em.

Nationwide or in individual markets?

DVD Josh 08-28-07 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis

Good news! I like Cox's service, but wish they had more HD channels.

PLEASE dear lord change the DVR and menu interface to closer to TW. It's like 8 bit NES with that thing.

DamingR 08-28-07 03:29 PM

Gheez, I hope Dish adds Speed HD. That would be the one channel I would consider switching to DirecTV for.

bralph 08-28-07 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chew

I certainly won't try to speak for das, but for me the DirecTV DVR has been just fine. It doesn't have dual live buffers, but I didn't use it that much anyway. Other than that, it does what it is supposed to do, but I do miss the Tivo sounds a little :-) It takes some getting used to, but I found a handy quide at dbstalk that gave all the little changes and where things moved to.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Click on "Tivo To HR-20 Survival Guide"

Rogue588 08-28-07 03:52 PM

Cablevision/Optimum tied for first? Wow.

TGM 08-28-07 04:37 PM

There's been a few rumors that DirecTV will be going live with upwards of 50 new HD channels pretty shortly (maybe even only a week).

They've been promising that sorta thing for about 3-4 years now, however.

I was told just yesterday that DirecTV will be adding 35 HD channels come September 1st... with 15 more by January 1st.

das Monkey 08-28-07 04:42 PM

It's fine, I guess. It's a little glitchy at times, and the fashionable blue lights are annoying (even if you can disable the primary one), but it does the trick, albeit with a somewhat goofy interface. One advantage is that navigation is much faster. The 30 second skip works well, but I do miss the jump-to-end button (I haven't gotten through the whole survival guide yet, so there may be a workaround). No dual-buffers sucks. I used that all the time. I've only used it a little bit, though, and won't really put it through the true torture of DVR life in my home theater until Fall.

das

das Monkey 08-28-07 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I was told just yesterday that DirecTV will be adding 35 HD channels come September 1st... with 15 more by January 1st.

They've been telling me Fall 2007 (and then Sept. 1) for almost a year now. It seems like they've been fairly consistent on it, so I'm hoping it comes true.

das

Admiral7 08-28-07 04:51 PM

pinata, they had KJRH-HD when they launched local HD channels. Channel 6, KOTV wasn't HD originally, but it is now. ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are all HD now.

pinata242 08-28-07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Admiral7
pinata, they had KJRH-HD when they launched local HD channels. Channel 6, KOTV wasn't HD originally, but it is now. ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are all HD now.

Damn, I was told 2 weeks ago by the dude at ABS in Owasso that NBC wasn't in HD locally - that was the major factor that I couldn't make the switch from Cox.

Sure enough, they're on the stupid DTV website. Oh, what I get for trusting the pros in the flesh over the pros on the net.

I'm going to have to seriously consider...

audiomixer 08-28-07 07:22 PM

Any news about Time-Warner?