Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone find Blades of Glory on Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Anyone find Blades of Glory on Blu-ray?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
It's not a terrible movie.
Maybe not terrible. Maybe more like really, really bad.
Old 09-02-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard the people willing to shell out huge amounts of cash for this blu-ray could not love a human baby as much as they do this rare blu-ray disc.
Old 09-02-07, 06:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Old 09-02-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Nobody actually wants to WATCH Blades of Glory.

Actually, I watched it two days ago, and it wasn't horrible. The scene where they reviewed the tape from North Korea actually got me to laugh.
Blind buy for me, it reminded just a little bit of Zoolander, though I liked that better. Still found it much more enjoyable than Salo, so I won't slam anyone who wants the BD.
Old 09-05-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=002
Currently now at $410.55 with 2 days, 15 hours left.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-05-07, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dan30oly
Absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, I love it. Just BUY a HD DVD player and the movie, lol.

I still wonder why people will spend hundreds of dollars for a sealed Zelda for NES. Its just sealed...who cares?!?
Old 09-06-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, I love it. Just BUY a HD DVD player and the movie, lol.
They're paying for the rarity, though, not the movie.

I'm not claiming to understand it either, but I guarantee no one's shelling out that much because they really, really want a copy of Blades of Glory.
Old 09-06-07, 08:05 AM

But the studio will release it in 18 months, right? That is how long their HD exclusivity lasts?

I would have paid $70 or so for a rarity, but $400+ on something that will be worthless in 18 months?
Old 09-06-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
But the studio will release it in 18 months, right? That is how long their HD exclusivity lasts?

I would have paid $70 or so for a rarity, but $400+ on something that will be worthless in 18 months?
18 months is a rumour that hasn't been confirmed anywhere with any solidity.

Paramount will only say "indefinitely"
Old 09-06-07, 09:56 AM
Banned

If the price keeps going up, the movie might sell for the price of a Blu-ray player!
Old 09-07-07, 12:58 AM
JIF

Blades of Glory on Blu-ray eBay Auction shut down

As written by Brandon Conway on Home Theatre Forum:

Re: Blades of Glory on Blu-Ray found in Canada...

So, some a**clown at AVS who refused to accept that this guy actually has a legit copy called Paramount - faking that he was the press, mind you - and now the auction is pulled.

The auction was pulled for some legal mumbo-jumbo that is total BS.

He'll sell it eventually. There's no legal reason whatsoever preventing him from posting the auction again.

1. He bought the disc legally. If it was stolen by someone and then sold to the used game store he bought it at, that's not his fault. Again, he bought it legally.

2. He has pictures to prove it is real and not a fake. As someone who QC's Blu-ray discs I can say this is clearly legit and not some photoshopped wizardly. You can't fake pictures like those in post #407 - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...898162&page=14

IMO, this just means the item will be seen as "more rare" and he'll still get hundreds for it.
Old 09-07-07, 01:26 AM
Suspended

A member of AVS named wnorris (a hardcore hd-dvd fan) posed as a Paramount press agent and contacted ebay to say that it was a bootleg to get the auction pulled since it was bringing too much press to blu-ray. He got his wish and it got pulled. Theres a thread about it on avs where people are talking about him in negative ways.
Old 09-07-07, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I still wonder why people will spend hundreds of dollars for a sealed Zelda for NES. Its just sealed...who cares?!?
The same kind of collectors who prefer their postage stamps uncancelled, coins unscratched and first-edition books unread.
Old 09-07-07, 01:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
A member of AVS named wnorris (a hardcore hd-dvd fan) posed as a Paramount press agent and contacted ebay to say that it was a bootleg to get the auction pulled since it was bringing too much press to blu-ray. He got his wish and it got pulled. Theres a thread about it on avs where people are talking about him in negative ways.
It's a shame when people take this format war so personally that they become irrational and say and do stupid things.

Edit: I just tried to read the AVS thread about this and I couldn't get through four posts. That's how bad it is. On the other hand, if I hadn't gone over there, I wouldn't have discovered that Mitsubishi is coming out with a true 1080p projector with a 13,000:1 contrast ratio for under $4,000. So at least something good came out of my visit.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-07-07 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-07-07, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UGH. That is simply not accurate. One cannot ask ebay to pull items like that anymore. Only a studio registered with ebay can make a DMCA complaint, which will cause ebay to pull the auction. As I said over at AVS, the guy had screen grabs in the auction, which is a direct TOS violation and will get your auction DMCA'd (some verb). So it's all much ado about nothing.
Old 09-07-07, 12:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wewantflair
UGH. That is simply not accurate. One cannot ask ebay to pull items like that anymore. Only a studio registered with ebay can make a DMCA complaint, which will cause ebay to pull the auction.
Every item (for at least 6 months) has had a "Report this item" link at the bottom of the page. From there, there are a series of drop down menus to choose the reason for reporting it. It's basically to report high shipping cost abuse, description/picture theft from another auction, bootleg media, links to outside sites, etc., but it's been abused by some sellers to cancel a competitor's auction for bogus reasons. It's possible someone used that and the eBay autobot or a $7/hr employee just pulled the auction.

It's sad that people have to do things like that, though.
Old 09-09-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you know after reading through that thread, that wnorris has a point. The guy happened to find the only 2 in existence at the same store--ok fine, I once found a legit copy of Salo for $10 at a gamestop, so anything can happen. He posted pictures of them and then on like page 14 wnorris noticed that if you compare the pics, the stickers on the cases don't match. Then the dude who has the discs claims he actually found a THIRD BOG disc but didn't want to share that info. wnorris also posted "screenshots" of King kong on blu ray to show how you could fake it.

I'm not saying the guy is a liar, but wnorris was already drug thru the mud by the time he made these observations so no one bothered to listen when he pointed them out. The THIRD disc (only mentioned after wnorris called him on it--and when he mentioned it, he did so quickly and hasn't said anything in that thread since) does make the whole thing kind of fishy.
Old 09-09-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dignam
Every item (for at least 6 months) has had a "Report this item" link at the bottom of the page. From there, there are a series of drop down menus to choose the reason for reporting it. It's basically to report high shipping cost abuse, description/picture theft from another auction, bootleg media, links to outside sites, etc., but it's been abused by some sellers to cancel a competitor's auction for bogus reasons. It's possible someone used that and the eBay autobot or a $7/hr employee just pulled the auction.

It's sad that people have to do things like that, though.
Ebay ignores those reports. There is plenty of information about what ebay does and does not pull out there. Besides, it says in the e-mail that it was pulled due to a dmca request from Paramount, which is almost certainly due to the fact that the guy had actual screen grabs in the auction.
Old 09-09-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
you know after reading through that thread, that wnorris has a point. The guy happened to find the only 2 in existence at the same store--ok fine, I once found a legit copy of Salo for $10 at a gamestop, so anything can happen. He posted pictures of them and then on like page 14 wnorris noticed that if you compare the pics, the stickers on the cases don't match. Then the dude who has the discs claims he actually found a THIRD BOG disc but didn't want to share that info. wnorris also posted "screenshots" of King kong on blu ray to show how you could fake it.

I'm not saying the guy is a liar, but wnorris was already drug thru the mud by the time he made these observations so no one bothered to listen when he pointed them out. The THIRD disc (only mentioned after wnorris called him on it--and when he mentioned it, he did so quickly and hasn't said anything in that thread since) does make the whole thing kind of fishy.
That's the thing. The guy on avs has done a lot to prove what he has is legit. Still some of the info is suspicious, and if I think logically, why is it that only one guy in the entire world can get a copy? And he can get multiple copies from some small Canadian shop. Logic tells me that if this thing existed, someone else would have found it. But without any info along those lines, I'd have to believe these are fakes. It's just the logical conclusion.
Old 09-09-07, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
That's the thing. The guy on avs has done a lot to prove what he has is legit. Still some of the info is suspicious, and if I think logically, why is it that only one guy in the entire world can get a copy? And he can get multiple copies from some small Canadian shop. Logic tells me that if this thing existed, someone else would have found it. But without any info along those lines, I'd have to believe these are fakes. It's just the logical conclusion.
I agree. There is no way this guy has 3 copies and not a single other person can claim they have it or seen it in stores. It does not make sense.
Old 09-15-07, 12:45 PM
JIF

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWXnY-7278
Old 09-15-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by JIF
Looks legit to me.
Old 09-15-07, 03:13 PM

I'm still skeptical.

This guy has had how long to create a phony copy?
Admittedly, I'm no expert and barely know how to burn a cd, but I am sure that if money wasn't an issue and someone was dedicated enough, they could pull off a forgery.

Now, if this video were posted the day after release I'd likely believe it. However, at this point, unless he lets a highly respected neutral party borrow and examine one of his remaining 2 copies (assuming the other one actually sold), I still don't believe that out of everyone in the world looking for this disc he alone finds 3 used copies (all 3 on different days), at a random game store in Canada that still uses hand-written receipts.

Missions (the guy on avs who claims to have the worlds only copies), last posting on this subject was 9/7, why not post this video earlier?.
What has he been doing or working on for the last 8 days???

Last edited by dan30oly; 09-15-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 03:25 PM

I'm still skeptical.

This guy has had how long to create a phony copy?
Admittedly, I'm no expert and barely know how to burn a cd, but I am sure that if money wasn't an issue and someone was dedicated enough, they could pull off a forgery.

Now, if this video were posted the day after release I'd likely believe it. However, at this point, unless he lets a highly respected neutral party borrow and examine one of his remaining 2 copies (assuming the other one actually sold), I still don't believe that out of everyone in the world looking for this disc he alone finds 3 used copies (all 3 on different days), at a random game store in Canada that still uses hand-written receipts.
So are you officially calling shenanigans?

Because if you aren't I will.
Old 09-15-07, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
So are you officially calling shenanigans?

Because if you aren't I will.
I'm 90% sure it's fake.

However, I am not knowledgable enough to know what it would take to create such a hoax.

Personally, I don't give a rip if these were made available.
I just think it's funny that "missions" keeps doing whatever it takes to try and give himself credibility.
Given the amount of time that has passed since he bought his first copy, his passion in trying to prove himself, I would have thought this video would have been posted a long time ago.

I'm sure he'll just use some excuse for not releasing that video, like he was on vacation or had to work 80 hours last week and didn't have time or something similiarly lame.

Last edited by dan30oly; 09-15-07 at 03:32 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.