Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount/Dreamworks go HD DVD exclusive

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount/Dreamworks go HD DVD exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I have both formats, I'm very happy for HD-DVD in regards to Paramount's exclusivity considering all the "gloom & doom" news that has been constantly coming out in recent weeks. It's a great "kick-in-the-ass" to the Bluray group who have been releasing press releases as to how the format war is over with Bluray dominating the market.

Does this news mean that Paramount will be cancelling upcoming Bluray discs of Top Gun & Jack Ryan series or are they still going to be released?
Old 08-20-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Sorry buddy, but that's what's ridiculous right there.
How so?

Do you think this deal was made overnight? If you agree that this was in the works for some time, you can't find it even a little bit realistic that Paramount would've made plans as to what they'd do if the deal didn't work out?

To go back to the point you glossed over earlier, you're taking the specs of one unreleased disc, extrapolating it to a blanket statement that Paramount has been giving Blu-ray discs more lavish treatment recently, and forgetting that Paramount has often been giving their Blu-ray discs lower quality audio than the HD DVD equivalent.
Old 08-20-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just to play Devil's Advocate
Hey now, which side has the red cases?
Old 08-20-07, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
Casablanca, The Searchers and The Adventures of Robin Hood look INCREDIBLE on HD. Much better than their SD counterparts. A major step up.

I own, and have watched all 3 a number of times. Be assured, older films CAN and DO benefit from the HD treatment.
+1, I own all three as well and the difference can be seen.

BTW, Forbidden Planet HD looks fantastic too!
Old 08-20-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you agree that this was in the works for some time, you can't find it even a little bit realistic that Paramount would've made plans as to what they'd do if the deal didn't work out?
Once you sell your soul, there is no other plan!
Old 08-20-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How so?

Do you think this deal was made overnight? If you agree that this was in the works for some time, you can't find it even a little bit realistic that Paramount would've made plans as to what they'd do if the deal didn't work out?
So you basically approve of Paramount's "tease" to their BR supporters and allowing retailers to pre-order titles and then just yank it abruptly?
Old 08-20-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

So you basically approve of Paramount's "tease" to their BR supporters and allowing retailers to pre-order titles and then just yank it abruptly?
No.

You're too pissed off to have a meaningful conversation with right now, so I'll wait until you've simmered down. The forum would be better off if you step away for a while.
Old 08-20-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bottom line is that BR titles sold better than hd-dvd titles for them.
Selling more does not always mean more profit. If that was true, why would Paramount abandon BD? It doesn't make sense. The only thing that makes sense is that HD DVD currently makes more money (or will allow them to recoup any investments quicker) for them.
Old 08-20-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No.
I'm sorry you feel that way but it is still a valid question. I'm annoyed that Paramount feels the need to treat their BR customers as pawns and as a fallback plan while they're too busy making deals under the table. How is that irrational?
Old 08-20-07, 10:14 PM

Godfather & Godfather Part II on HD DVD? (Rumor)

If its true, THANK YOU PARAMOUNT!
Old 08-20-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a person who doesn't have a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player yet I am more pissed with Blu-Ray's exclusive titles than HD-DVDs for the simple fact that that a Blu-Ray player costs more than 2x an HD-DVD player.

Onto more fun things, here's my wishlist:

Paramount

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. Chinatown
3. Days of Heaven
4. Braveheart
5. The Conformist *drool
6. The Godfather Trilogy
7. Zodiac Director's Cut
8. Nashville
9. The Machinist
10. The Truman Show

Dreamworks

1. Collateral
2. Gladiator (Theatrical and Extended Edition)
3. American Beauty
4. Road to Perdition
5. Almost Famous
Old 08-20-07, 10:17 PM

Could this be because HD DVD seems to have a higher attach rate?
Old 08-20-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

How is that irrational?
You're twisting everything everyone posts into this ridiculous "us versus them" mentality. No offense, but I think you're so aggravated that it's severely tainting your perception of the messages in this thread and causing you to post inaccuracies like your statement about Paramount's recent trend of giving Blu-ray preferential technical treatment based entirely on one disc.

Yes, I think it's a bad idea for Paramount to cancel Blades of Glory, if the press release is accurate. (As far as I know, we haven't had any confirmation on this, right? No cancellation notices from any online retailers?)

No, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they prepared for this contigency. (It's not any worse than what Fox did.)

Yes, I think this deal has been in the works for a while. (I did think it was strange that given Paramount's usual lead time with their review copies that neither high-def release of Blades of Glory has shown up in the DVD Talk offices.)
Old 08-20-07, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Microsoft paid off Paramount. There is nothing more to it. The head of Dreamworks admited to a 50+ million payment in the LA Times or NY Weekly article, not sure which it was, in addition to having free advertising. Paramount sold out, it has nothing to do with any other factor.
Old 08-20-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they said "if Fox can do it, so can we!"
Old 08-20-07, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Microsoft paid off Paramount. There is nothing more to it. The head of Dreamworks admited to a 50+ million payment in the LA Times or NY Weekly article, not sure which it was, in addition to having free advertising. Paramount sold out, it has nothing to do with any other factor.
Your point? It's business, stop crying.
Banned

Paramount's catalog is sick.
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Microsoft paid off Paramount.
There's absolutely nothing to point to Microsoft paying anyone off aside from the fact that they're such an easy target. I'd have to dig up quotes, but I've heard that even a lot of the Blu-ray insiders on some of the usual forums are saying that the accusations against Microsoft have no basis in reality.
Old 08-20-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup they sure did. The big question is; are they getting as much as money as Disney and Fox are from Sony?
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sony has been paying people to buy into Blu-ray from day one. If you think any of these studios are somehow better than any other, boy, are you in for a rude awakening. If you rounded up every movie and music executive, you'd probably have the most unethical group of people alive. Get over it. There's no honor or loyalty amongst these studios.

And in order for this to be considered "selling out," Paramount would have to have had principles in the first place. They didn't.
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ahh, but Fox teasing everyone with Blu-Ray is OK?
Old 08-20-07, 10:26 PM

Paramount sold out, it has nothing to do with any other factor.
"Sold out"? Are you kidding? That's all any of them should be doing. They're businesses. Their sole function is to maximize profits. What, was there some integrity or something to supporting Blu-Ray that I'm missing?
Old 08-20-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ahh, but Fox teasing everyone with Blu-Ray is OK?
Hopefully Fox will show up the second time around!
Old 08-20-07, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So if HD DVD is the format best suited for Paramount because it's cheaper, etc...why did they even release in Blu-ray in the first place? Why not remain exclusive to HD DVD like they were originally planning to?
I imagine like many other studios, they truly thought Blu-Ray would be the CLEAR winner as of now. Why? The PS3. Remember before PS3 had launched? Blu-Ray was non-existent. It was ranked REALLY low on Amazon charts. Then the PS3 launched...it changed a bit. I still think the reason why many studios are BR exclusive is because they thought the PS3 would sell like nuts and be a video game leader this generation...and that has not happened. A format with 4+ Million Blu-Ray players against one with what, 500k is only selling movies at a 2:1 advantage? That's not very good.
Old 08-20-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
We all sell out for a paycheck every week. Business is Business.

Can I get The Saint on HD now?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.