Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner sells 250k copies of 300!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

"Warner Home Video Breaks Another High Definition Record with ``300,'' the Fastest Selling Title with More Than 250K Copies Sold in Its First Full Week

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today Warner Home Video (WHV) announced that it has the fastest and highest-selling high definition title in the market with the epic action-adventure, “300.” Since July 31, 2007, “300” has sold more than 250,000 copies to consumers on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

“300” provides another high definition milestone for Warner Home Video which was the first studio to break the 100K sold mark with “The Departed.” Overall WHV has six of the top 10 selling high definition titles with “300,” “The Departed,” “Superman Returns,” “Planet Earth - The Complete Collection,” “Batman Begins,” and “Happy Feet.” Warner also has the highest grossing high definition title with the dual-format release of “Planet Earth.”

“‘300’ is an amazing film, and the high definition sales we are seeing underscores the positive business benefits of supporting both HD DVD and Blu-ray,” said Ron Sanders, President of Warner Home Video. “This phenomenal response to ‘300’ is the latest proof that our approach makes the most sense in today’s market and has enabled Warner Home Video to continue to lead the market in high definition sales.”

As a result of its dual format strategy, WHV has more than 30% market share of DVD sales in the high definition market, selling more high definition product and releasing more titles than any other studio. Because of two competing high definition formats in the market, it is widely recognized that hardware prices for both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD have fallen faster than would normally be expected at this stage in the product cycle. However, research organizations, such as ABI Research(a), predict that further price reductions of hardware are needed to fuel mass adoption of high definition formats.

Based on the stylized graphic novel from icon Frank Miller (“Sin City”), “300” is an epic action-adventure about the 300 Spartan warriors led by the heroic King Leonidas who challenged Xerxes and his massive Persian army at the ancient Battle of Thermopylae. Leveraging the capabilities that the high definition formats enable, “300” on HD DVD incorporates exclusives interactive features. Any HD DVD player connected to the internet can take advantage of the web enabled features, which include the ability for viewers to pick their favorite scenes to assemble montages and share them with friends. Users can also rate scenes within the Warner connected community as well as purchase and collect wall paper and ring tones for mobile phones. Both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats include additional bonus material.

Warner Home Video HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The new formats also provide a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu-bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment. "
Too bad they didn't sell 300k copies...that would have been pretty cool.
I still have yet to get my copy :-(
Old 08-07-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I wonder what % of total sales that represents for this title?
Old 08-07-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Great news for HD media, I really wasn't expecting these kind of numbers until the big holiday releases. Do I hear 500K for Transformers?

So, if Matrix was the first DVD to hit a million - and that was 2 1/2 yrs after launch, is HD currently ahead of DVD's pace? Because I'm sure one of the big releases will be hitting a million copies sold before fall of '08...(which would be 2 1/2 yr's after HD's launch)
Old 08-07-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Great news for HD media, I really wasn't expecting these kind of numbers until the big holiday releases. Do I hear 500K for Transformers?

So, if Matrix was the first DVD to hit a million - and that was 2 1/2 yrs after launch, is HD currently ahead of DVD's pace? Because I'm sure one of the big releases will be hitting a million copies sold before fall of '08...(which would be 2 1/2 yr's after HD's launch)
That's actually an interesting question. What would be the first title to sell a million copies on HD-DVD/Blu-ray? It'll likely have to be one available on both formats.
Old 08-07-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
What would be the first title to sell a million copies on HD-DVD/Blu-ray?
My guess is that it's a movie that hasn't been released theatrically yet. I don't have one specifically in mind, but I'd bet it's far enough off that our eyes won't see it even in theaters for a while.
Old 08-07-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Transformers can very easily sell 500k if 300 sold 250,000 in the first week.

First to 1MM? My guess goes to The Dark Knight.
Old 08-07-07, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Do we have HDDVD/Bluray %ages yet?
Old 08-07-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I think Transformers can very easily sell 500k if 300 sold 250,000 in the first week.

First to 1MM? My guess goes to The Dark Knight.
If 300 or Transformers doesn't hit it before than, yeah that'd be my guess. If Indy 4 hit's HD by itself and in a boxset those combined sales might get there too.
Old 08-07-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I just hope WB doesn't use this talk of their successful dual-format strategy as a reason to justify TotalHD. I'd bet good money any TotalHD release would have at minimum twice as many defective discs as the current WB combos.
Old 08-07-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Maybe other studios will take a look at this, and decide dual-format support is where it is at.
Old 08-07-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Combo pricing aside, I think Warner is the only studio that is doing the right thing, both for consumers and investors.
Old 08-07-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Combo pricing aside, I think Warner is the only studio that is doing the right thing, both for consumers and investors.
I agree!

They consistently put out great dvd's and now I'm very happy with HD even though Blu-Ray seem to have more titles...for now
Old 08-07-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, but only if they stay away from Total HD.
Old 08-07-07, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
If 300 or Transformers doesn't hit it before than, yeah that'd be my guess. If Indy 4 hit's HD by itself and in a boxset those combined sales might get there too.
Indy 4 would easily sell 1 million copies. Hopefully by fall/winter 2008, Spielberg and Lucas will be willing to allow Paramount to release it on both formats.
Old 08-07-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Batman: TDK was the title I was thinking would sell 1 million as well. I think 2007 holiday and beyond we will see the push towards 500K sold(Transformers/POTC 3 perhaps) with 1 million coming next year during the holiday season. Batman should be released somewhere around there. Indy is a candidate as well but there is the big question of if it will be available or not.

I think we could shut down hope of any catalog title being the first to 1 million at this point, unless someone drops a major title out of right field surprise within the next year.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 08-07-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I would be very surprised if Transformers hit 1 million copies just because I think it's a Paramount/Dreamworks title, meaning it would only be on HD-DVD.

I agree that Dark Knight will probably get that honor. It stands to get released on both formats.

Go Warner! Love the fact that they are a dual supporter, and love the fact that they are the studio really raking it in because they are a dual supporter. Other studios should pay attention.
Old 08-07-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I would be very surprised if Transformers hit 1 million copies just because I think it's a Paramount/Dreamworks title, meaning it would only be on HD-DVD.
As far as I'm aware, Paramount/Dreamworks has released each and every one of their titles on both formats to date.
Old 08-07-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^^Paramount supports both. I think Dark Knight is an excellent guess.
Old 08-07-07, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clckworang
Paramount has always been neutral.
Old 08-07-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Yep, you're right. Got mixed up with Universal. Happy so many of you were able to correct me.

(also got mixed up because I get HD-DVD screeners from Paramount at work)
Old 08-07-07, 05:21 PM

Cool. It appears Blu-ray and HD DVD together have passed laserdisc sales numbers.
Old 08-07-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff...glad to see growth for hi-def...
Old 08-07-07, 05:39 PM

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...p?post/827379/

Unofficial report is that the Blu-ray version outsold the HD DVD version 2:1. We'll see the official numbers soon enough.
Old 08-07-07, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bee_01
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...p?post/827379/

Unofficial report is that the Blu-ray version outsold the HD DVD version 2:1. We'll see the official numbers soon enough.
Not shocked as most places stocked BR 2:1. Retailers fell short on both formats as Many stores were sold out of both formats. Combo HD didnt help either I'm sure. Still good news for HD media in general.
Old 08-07-07, 05:45 PM

65:35 isn't too bad when you consider that 300 is another one of those "PS3 demographic" titles.

I own a Tosh A1 and a PS3 and bought the Blu-ray version since it was cheaper than the combo disk (which have caused me problems in the past). The HD DVD PIP is neat but I'm not that big on extras.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.