DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   ...or maybe not (was: Blu-Ray Face/Off to have more HD extras than HD-DVD) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/507825-maybe-not-blu-ray-face-off-have-more-hd-extras-than-hd-dvd.html)

ianholm 07-31-07 10:13 AM

...or maybe not (was: Blu-Ray Face/Off to have more HD extras than HD-DVD)

According to the back covers, the upcoming Blu-Ray of Face/Off has three additional HD extras.

Blu-Ray

HD-DVD

DVD Josh 07-31-07 10:32 AM

Frankly, I'm not surprised. This is how you win the format war, by offering things on one format that the other doesn't have and force the consumer to make a decision.

PixyJunket 07-31-07 10:33 AM

Son of a bitch. I was just talking about getting an HD-A20 too. :mad:

Jericho 07-31-07 10:36 AM

Well, except it seems like a Paramount decision, and not a Blu-Ray decision (much the same way how some Warner titles have more extras on HD DVD). I'm guessing this is driven my space issues, although I'm glad I pre-order the Blu Ray version and won't have to adjust my order.

PixyJunket 07-31-07 10:37 AM

Aren't they both two disc sets though?

Giles 07-31-07 10:40 AM

sneaky bastards!

interesting audio specs - DTS and Dolby Digtal EX - wtf?

tbickle 07-31-07 10:46 AM

their both 2-disc sets so space wouldn't be an issue...hmm, something is fishy..

applesandrice 07-31-07 11:02 AM

Uuhh . . . I'm just interested in picture and audio quality. I don't care about extras . . .;)

Bleddyn Williams 07-31-07 11:03 AM

These were originally supposed to be 2-disc sets, with identical extras.

Even if the sets have been compressed to 1 disc, I don't see that the amount of content would force HD DVD to drop features. I wonder what kind of games Paramount is playing.

Wouldn't it be nice if the first report was true and both camps find 2-disc sets waiting for them on release day..?

Gizmo 07-31-07 11:07 AM

Could just mean they updated the Blu-Ray artwork and not the HD DVD yet. I personally could careless about most special features though.

emachine12 07-31-07 11:45 AM

These aren't two disc sets for HD anymore. BDs can have up to 50gbs of data while HD DVDs can have up to 30gbs.

Looks like the extra space on BD allows for the additional high-definition extras. While the DVD goes two disc.

Jericho 07-31-07 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
These were originally supposed to be 2-disc sets, with identical extras.

Even if the sets have been compressed to 1 disc, I don't see that the amount of content would force HD DVD to drop features. I wonder what kind of games Paramount is playing.

Wouldn't it be nice if the first report was true and both camps find 2-disc sets waiting for them on release day..?

It says the extras are in HD, so space could easily be an issue with an HD-DVD if the extras are of an substantial length

DeanoBKN 07-31-07 03:05 PM

I was so looking foward to this release too...more and more I am thinking to myself, did I really pick the right format?

I plan on getting a Blu-Ray player once the price is right (recent HD-DVD players comes to mind) but until then i'm forced to put up with this.

When is HD going to get a break? It seems every day I log into this forum and find more great news for Blu-Ray, while HD just sits and let them take the market over.

wewantflair 07-31-07 03:35 PM

Thanks for clarifying, jiggawhat.

True_Story1011 08-01-07 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I was so looking foward to this release too...more and more I am thinking to myself, did I really pick the right format?

I plan on getting a Blu-Ray player once the price is right (recent HD-DVD players comes to mind) but until then i'm forced to put up with this.

When is HD going to get a break? It seems every day I log into this forum and find more great news for Blu-Ray, while HD just sits and let them take the market over.

300 recieved an extra feature on HD that BD didnt.

There are pro's and con's for both - Thats why I've got both B)

Digigeek06 08-01-07 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Uuhh . . . I'm just interested in picture and audio quality. I don't care about extras . . .;)

I second that!

Doughboy 08-02-07 07:25 AM

I'll probably cancel my HD-DVD preorder and get the Blu-ray version instead. Unless of course Paramount once again offers up lower bitrate audio on the Blu-ray release.

JackBurton 08-02-07 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
The information on the cover art is incorrect. Face-Off is slated to be a 2-Disc HD-DVD and a 1-Disc BD. All special features are identical. I see nothing telling me otherwise AFAIK.

This is good to hear. Thank you.

tonymontana313 08-02-07 08:58 AM

Jiggawhat, how do you know that info is incorrect?

Adam Tyner 08-02-07 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Jiggawhat, how do you know that info is incorrect?

He works at Paramount.

matome 08-02-07 09:03 AM

He's a Paramount insider and he's been right on all the other stuff so far (first BD AVC title, different Blades of Glory discs), so I would definitely lean toward his info, as damning as the covers look.

Bleddyn Williams 08-02-07 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
The information on the cover art is incorrect. Face-Off is slated to be a 2-Disc HD-DVD and a 1-Disc BD. All special features are identical. I see nothing telling me otherwise AFAIK.

That's great news! Thanks for the info!

Rusty James 08-02-07 11:19 PM

The DVD cover artwork on Amazon says 2-Disc Special Edition on both the HD-DVD and BD versions.

BSTNFAN 08-03-07 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by matome
He's a Paramount insider and he's been right on all the other stuff so far (first BD AVC title, different Blades of Glory discs), so I would definitely lean toward his info, as damning as the covers look.

Sorry, OT...What are the different Blades of Glory discs?

matome 08-03-07 10:24 AM

The Blu-Ray will have a TrueHD track and the HD-DVD won't.