Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

...or maybe not (was: Blu-Ray Face/Off to have more HD extras than HD-DVD)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

...or maybe not (was: Blu-Ray Face/Off to have more HD extras than HD-DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proof that 30GB is not enough?

According to a thread at AVS forum the HD-DVD version of the upcoming film Face/Off will have to be put on 2 discs at a price of 34.99 SRP, however the Blu-ray which now shares the same features will be only 1 disc and 29.99 SRP. Is this proof that 30GB isn't enough space seeing as Face/Off is an average length film at 138 min.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=891699

Oh, and if you don't know already both editions have been delayed till the 30th of October.
Old 08-17-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
If it is just the special features being moved to the 2nd disc and not part of the movie itself, then who cares? That doesn't prove anything IMO.
Old 08-17-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Assuming they both have lossless audio, that would explain the 2 discs I think.

Personally I would have zero problem with putting all the extras on a second disc to allow for lossless audio, but having a $5 price disparity for the same content is not going to help the already widening gap between Blu-Ray and HD DVD versions of the same film.

The latest Nielsen numbers show Paramount's Disturbia sold more than twice as many copies on Blu-Ray as it did on HD DVD, and that was with the same price.

I wonder if we'll also see this happen with Top Gun since that release absolutely should have lossless on it.
Old 08-17-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't call it "proof"..but it is telling that one can do it on one disc and another on two. That could matter for larger sets. Say the James Bond movies were on both formats. If HD-DVD takes 40 discs (20 movies/20 special feature discs for the movies) and Blu-Ray takes 20 (20 movies + features) the price difference would be significant!!!
Old 08-17-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
As long as the quality of the presentation is no worse for wear, I couldn't care less if the extras are on a second disc or not. I mean, all other things equal, sure -- I'd prefer to have one disc than two -- but it's not a deal-breaker.

I wouldn't say that it's proof of 30 gigs not being enough since the movie itself isn't compromised, although the $5 additional cost is pretty annoying.
Old 08-17-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, on paper 50 gig is larger than 30 gig. However, I don't recall seeing anyone at AVS make a big fuss about both POTC movies being on 2 discs or why there are no extras on that 50 gig version of Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 08-17-07, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Well, on paper 50 gig is larger than 30 gig. However, I don't recall seeing anyone at AVS make a big fuss about both POTC movies being on 2 discs or why there are no extras on that 50 gig version of Kingdom of Heaven.
Kingdom of Heaven is a 194 minute film and if they were to make a fuss about POTC being 2 discs on Blu-ray at 50 GB wouldn't that further prove that 30GB is really not enough?
Old 08-18-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To date, I suspect there have been more dual format releases in which the HD DVD release has been prevented from realizing its full potential because the same files used on a 30GB HD DVD have to be crammed onto a 25GB Blu-ray disc.

Don't kid yourselves: 30GB is a LOT of room. Just look at some of the single disc releases HD DVD has had (Batman Begins, Superman Returns, 300, etc.) wherein boatloads of features have been included, as well as top notch video quality and lossless sound.
Old 08-21-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts
Time to throw a lock on this thread, huh?
Old 08-21-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Ha, it is a moot point.