Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Well, I've tried preorders of both formats for these titles and none will go to "shipping soon" status like every other single movie I have ever ordered from Amazon.com.
I did the same thing, and the only title of the four I ordered that won't budge is The Shining, which totally blows since it's a movie I really wanted to watch tomorrow. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's damned frustrating.
Old 10-22-07, 06:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know what in hell is going on at WB. The delays on major catalog title like these are inexcusable. This had better not happen when Blade Runner comes out.
Old 10-22-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure Best Buy will manage to get their copies of all of these, priced higher at $24.99. I want to watch the Shining so bad in HD that I'll probably cave like a little bitch and pay the $25 tomorrow.
Old 10-22-07, 07:46 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local Best Buy has at least a few of them in already, so I'll be heading there tomorrow night. My problem is that I can't decide on a format to buy the movies on. I support both Blu-ray and HD-DVD...
Old 10-22-07, 07:58 PM

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...HD_Blu-ray.htm

edit: AR is 1:66-1. he had some overscan!
Old 10-22-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
My local Best Buy has at least a few of them in already, so I'll be heading there tomorrow night. My problem is that I can't decide on a format to buy the movies on. I support both Blu-ray and HD-DVD...

Thats easy, Horror movies only look good in RED cases!

on a serious note...

isnt there some sort of interactive feature only availible on HD?
Old 10-22-07, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

Here's a little advise. If you pre order a dvd(s) and you really want it on release date and you know your not going to get it on release date simply buy it at the store on release date and then when the one you ordered arrives simply return that one to the store.
Old 10-22-07, 08:15 PM
Banned

A Clockwork Orange was in my Gold Box for $18.95 on Blu-ray. Cancelled my HD DVD order and ordered the Blu-ray version. For some reason, Amazon has not shipped any of my Kubrick preorders yet. They have already shipped A Bout de Souffle Criterion DVD and Inside Man HD DVD.
Old 10-22-07, 08:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Thats easy, Horror movies only look good in RED cases!

on a serious note...

isnt there some sort of interactive feature only availible on HD?
I'm not sure; I haven't heard of anything like that. Thanks for mentioning that though - I'll have to look into it.

Can anyone else give me some pros and cons or any comments on which versions to purchase?

I'm really worried about the conclusion of the format war (if it ever does come to a finish.) I don't really want to buy it in one format, just to have that format lose in the end, but I guess that's a risk we're all taking..
Old 10-22-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure; I haven't heard of anything like that. Thanks for mentioning that though - I'll have to look into it.

Can anyone else give me some pros and cons or any comments on which versions to purchase?

I'm really worried about the conclusion of the format war (if it ever does come to a finish.) I don't really want to buy it in one format, just to have that format lose in the end, but I guess that's a risk we're all taking..

I was also really concerned about the Sega Genesis and Super NES war - that was alot of restless nights.
Old 10-22-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should be identical features on both versions. The only differences I know of are:

HD DVD version has TrueHD sound
Blu-ray has PCM

A Clockwork Orange is 2 discs on HD DVD and only 1 on Blu-ray

I think that's all.
Old 10-22-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon Prime member here: EWS HD shipped today, so I should have it tomorrow night. 2001 and ACO HDs haven't budged though.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-22-07 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 08:28 PM
Banned

Prime member here.

EWS HD DVD shipping soon
2001 Blu-ray shipping soon
A Clockwork Orange Blu-ray (ordered 15 mins ago) shipping soon

Still waiting on The Shining Blu-ray
Old 10-22-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I'm going to stop at Fry's in the AM and see if they have them. If so I'll just get them there. I don't know what Amazon's problem is with WB or vice versa, but it's getting pretty annoying.
Old 10-22-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sidewinder572
Here's a little advise. If you pre order a dvd(s) and you really want it on release date and you know your not going to get it on release date simply buy it at the store on release date and then when the one you ordered arrives simply return that one to the store.
The problem with this is I'm pretty sure Amazon does not de-magnetize the security inserts when they ship. So if you bought from say Best Buy, you're going to set the alarms off on the way in. Even with a receipt, if you get known for this I'm sure they'd start getting suspicious.
Old 10-22-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think that Dvdbeaver guy really has the Clockwork Bluray. he just says that the video quality should be the same on both. And that it appears that the Bluray is only 1 disc. But he has the audio for both as TrueHD, which isn't right. Bluray is PCM sound. So he probably just has the HD & is assuming they're both identical.
How did someone get shipping soon on Clockwork that they just ordered, when myself & others haven't on orders placed a while ago? My FMJ just went to shipping soon. Shining, Clockwork & EWS are still waiting.
Old 10-22-07, 09:43 PM
Cool New Member

I've only done it once and it worked no questions asked. If the alarm goes off on the way in just play dumb. If I have the reciept it should be fan. I just need to make sure all the numbers match with the reciept
Old 10-22-07, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by El Kabong
How did someone get shipping soon on Clockwork that they just ordered, when myself & others haven't on orders placed a while ago? .
I have amazon prime.
Old 10-22-07, 10:07 PM

Hey... read through the post and didn't see the question asked. I purchased Full Metal Jacket on HD-DVD earlier this year. What is different with this re-release tomorrow? What's the "Deluxe Edition," and since it's one of my favorite movies, is it worth an upgrade?

Also, with Clockwork being only one disc BR, that would be the version to get right?

And the HD/BRs aren't being released in a set?!

Thanks
Shane
Old 10-22-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just re-ordered all of the Blu-Ray's except FMJ. My ACO and 2001 flipped to Shipping Soon. Waiting on EWS and Shining.

Amazon really has some fulfillment priority issues.
Old 10-22-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oddly enough, lo and behold a package on my doorstep this morning from Warner which included none other than 2001, which doesn't release until tomorrow. What an INCREDIBLE surprise.
Old 10-22-07, 11:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome! Let us know how it looks.
Old 10-22-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Amazon Prime also, which is why it's weird that mine wouldn't have shipped first. And it sounds like most people are just getting one or 2, but they're different for everyone. Weird.
And about FMJ, the old one had a 1080i converted to 1080p problem. This one is remastered in actual 1080p & also has PCM (Blu) or TrueHD (HD). The PCM sound sold me on the double-dip.
Old 10-23-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's F'ed. I just made a new order for the 3 that haven't shipped yet & 10 minutes later, Clockwork Orange goes to shipping. And it's still sitting in my other order (cancelled it now). I'm going to make an order of the last 2 now (cancelled from my 2nd order), just to see if it is something where they're just shipping 1 or 2 from every order rather than filling anyones because they didn't get enough of them all?
Old 10-23-07, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
Oddly enough, lo and behold a package on my doorstep this morning from Warner which included none other than 2001, which doesn't release until tomorrow. What an INCREDIBLE surprise.
Do you remember when you ordered, and did you get any email notification of shipping?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.