Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

Old 09-22-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's proof that Eyes Wide Shut will include both versions:

Old 09-22-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
red x
Old 09-22-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops. Here's pic of the back of the DVD:

Old 09-22-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

see, that to me makes it even stranger about the questions regarding the length of the SD-DVD version of the shining. Seems like a good time to release both cuts
Old 09-22-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There isn't an actual time difference between the two cuts of EWS, is there? Always thought it was just visually censored in several scenes.
Old 09-22-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new edition of The Shining reads 144 minutes vs. the old edition which reads 142 minutes. So, who knows?
Old 09-22-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes but the plot thickens over in Should I Keep The Old Release of The Shining and Get The New SE Too? where some people are saying that the 119 minute run time is showing up on some websites. While I still stand by my statement that I don't see them doing a seperate master for SD-DVD, and we already have back cover art with runtime for HD-dvd. Just seems like a nice oppurtunity to give both cuts of the film, and even a documentary or seperate commentaries on why Kubrick chose either cuts initially.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Sorry in advance for the big post.

Okay so apparently this 119 minute cut is the International/European cut. Kubrick cut it down to this length after mixed reviews about his 143 minute cut. Here are what the cuts are:

Here's a link to that actual article. Thanks goes to Nagash from GameFAQs for showing me the site.

Quote:
8/ Why are there two versions of The Shining? What was filmed but cut out?
The two version of The Shining are the US cut with has a running time of 144 minutes and the international version which is 20 minutes shorter. Both versions have the status of "director's cuts" as Kubrick made the cuts himself.

In November 1980 Monthly Film Bulletin ran a piece itemising the differences between versions (1) . Here is a summary of that article:

Scene cut from the US version during 1st run:

(1) A two-minute sequence was deleted from the end of the film in the first weeks of its run. A coda to Wendy and Danny's escape (which followed the shot of Jack frozen in the maze). This showed Wendy being visited in hospital by Ullman, and his complimenting her on having survived. (2)

After playing to what Movie Comment calls "generally bad reviews and erratic box-office in America," the film was preview-tested before its opening in London and a further twenty-five minutes were cut.

Scenes cut from the international version:

(1) Part of Jack's interview at the Overlook Hotel.

(2) Danny's examination by a doctor (Anne Jackson)

(3) Part of the tour of the Overlook with Ullman, Jack and Wendy, including the dialogue in the Colorado Lounge and The beginning of the scene where Ullman shows Jack and Wendy the hotel grounds and the scene leading up to Dick Hallorann's first appearance where Ullman shows off "The Gold Room"

(4) Part of Danny's conversation alone with Hallorann

(5) The end of the Torrances' first scene in the hotel, when Wendy brings Jack his breakfast

(6) Immediately after the scene in which Wendy and Danny explore the maze, a sequence has been cut in which Wendy is seen working in the kitchen while a TV announcer talks of a search in the mountains for a missing woman

(7) THURSDAY title card

(8) Wendy and Danny watching the Summer of '42 on television.

(9) dialogue from the middle of the scene in which Jack first goes to the Gold Room

(10) Wendy is seen crying and talking to herself about the possibility of getting down the mountain in the snowcat, and of calling the Forest Rangers

(11) Dick Hallorann again tries to get through to the Overlook by calling the Ranger station.

(12) 8AM title card

(13) Hallorann asks a stewardess what time they are due to land in Denver; she tells him 8.20 and he checks his watch. Jack is seen typing in the lounge of the Overlook. Hallorann's plane lands at the airport. Larry Durkin (Tony Burton), a garage owner, answers his phone and talks to Hallorann, who asks for a snowcat to get up to the Overlook.

(14) GS: "A whole scene where Danny is watching TV (a Roadrunner cartoon). After talking to Danny (I think telling him to stay there) Wendy picks up the baseball bat and exits (on her way into the Colorado lounge). I was particularly proud of the way I 'choreographed' the cartoon music on the TV with Wendy's movements. There was then a long dissolve, as the cartoon music faded, to Wendy entering the Colorado lounge. After a pause I then gently faded in the start of the Penderecki music as Wendy walks towards Jack's desk."

(15) The beginning of the scene in which Wendy finds Jack's type-written pages covered with "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (GS: This then is really cut (14), i.e. the second half of the dissolve plus a few more seconds of Wendy walking into the Colorado lounge)

(16) A tableau in which skeletons are sitting at a table with a champagne bottle and glasses.

Notes
(1) You can read the whole article at on-line at Stanley Kubrick 1928-1999 (back)

(2) GS thinks Ullman's hospital visit was cut out after a preview in America, just before the film was released. (back)
Old 09-25-07, 07:55 AM
Cool New Member

Are these movies coming out in a HD DVD boxset or do I have to buy them all separately?
Old 09-25-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only the standard DVDs are available in a set.
Old 09-25-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Spider-Man
Are these movies coming out in a HD DVD boxset or do I have to buy them all separately?
Doesn't appear so.
Warner Bros. site has no listing for a box set for these.
Old 09-26-07, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spider-Man
No boxset for the Hi Def versions they will only be available as individual movies.
Old 09-28-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it known yet whether Full Metal Jacket is remastered or not?
Old 09-28-07, 06:33 PM

And to think, all this time the european audiences had this truncated version to watch. The other was unavailable. How will WB do this now in HD...?
Will Europe now get an HD version of the long, original version or what...?
Old 10-22-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone's Amazon.com orders for any of these gone to "shipping soon" status? Mine still says "items not yet shipped", so I can still cancel. Most of the time, the status changes on Monday, but not this time. I'm wondering if these will take an extra day or two to show up on Amazon, similar to what's happened recently with some of their catalog titles.
Old 10-22-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All my other Blurays & HD-DVD are shipping soon, including 2001. But the other 4 don't look like they're in stock yet. Probably be like Twilight Zone & come in a day or 2 late. I don't know about the HD-DVD versions. Last time I think they had Twilight Zone HD-DVD before the Bluray.
Old 10-22-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just thought of something. Does anyone have it ordered from DvdEmpire? I think they've had the back scans for a while now, which usually means they have it in the warehouse. I can't imagine they'd have them all for so long & Amazon didn't get any.
Old 10-22-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The only BD of mine in Shipping Soon status is FMJ. The other 4 are still Not Yet Shipped.

Frickin' WB. I hate this piecemeal crap. I'd like to have all 5 at once. It would have been nice to have a box version.
Old 10-22-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Just thought of something. Does anyone have it ordered from DvdEmpire? I think they've had the back scans for a while now, which usually means they have it in the warehouse. I can't imagine they'd have them all for so long & Amazon didn't get any.
I just checked the back scans at DVDEmpire, and those seem to be direct graphic files of the cover art rather than someone putting the actual product on a scanner, which is what seems to happen once they actually have the product.
Old 10-22-07, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I have Amazon Prime and my blu 'Shining' is not yet Shipping Soon.

I ordered the remaining four from WARNER HOME VIDEO back in August, so who knows when those will ship (along with 'Deliverance,' which will complete the order.)
Old 10-22-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, for anyone wondering about the Eyes Wide Shut being unedited, DVDBeaver has comparison shots up of the DVD version, and everything is now visible.

Once again Gary has made some "fun" choices for his screenshots - definitely not safe for work.
Old 10-22-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theWitcher
I ordered the remaining four from WARNER HOME VIDEO back in August, so who knows when those will ship (along with 'Deliverance,' which will complete the order.)
I was just going to ask - has anyone received any word on titles ordered from there? I'm still waiting on Twilight Zone: The Movie as well.
Old 10-22-07, 05:24 PM

dary from dvdbeaver watched the new clockwork, gave it a mediocre review and said the AR is wrong...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...HD_Blu-ray.htm

edit: AR is 1:66-1. he had some overscan!

Last edited by Davy Mack; 10-22-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's disappointing that the aspect ratio isn't quite right, but it's not that bad of a change. It may have even been shown theatrically in the US at 1.85:1 anyway.

I'm not too surprised at the softness, especially considering how the DVD captures didn't show much difference between the anamorphic and non-anamorphic versions. Still, why get the DVD just to save a few dollars? At least you get lossless sound, better compression and rendering of fine grain, and overall just a more film-like look.

I don't get the complaint about not using the capabilities of HD by splitting it across two discs. He wanted it all on one disc? Sure it would have fit on a BD50, but Warner hasn't been configuring their sets differently by format. They may have authored it for 2 25GB discs so that the BDs could be single-layer (as with Planet Earth).
Old 10-22-07, 06:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ACO was, I believe 1.85:1 in its U.S. theatrical release.
Old 10-22-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I've tried preorders of both formats for these titles and none will go to "shipping soon" status like every other single movie I have ever ordered from Amazon.com. Sounds like Twilight Zone all over again. I'm gonna check Walmart tomorrow. Hopefully with their renewed HD support, they will get a few of these in. Heck, they got in Hollow Man BD when it was released, so anything is possible.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.