Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Kubrick Quartet of Titles coming to BD/HD DVD 10/23 (w/Dolby TrueHD Tracks)

Old 10-26-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Is anyone experancing problems playing A Clockwork Orange on a HD-A1? Mine kept freezing right before the FBI warning. I had to pop the disc in and out 4 or 5 times before it finally played. I haven't updated my firmware since I received my player, which was last december, but I was told it had the latest update at the time (I got it off ebay). I tried Transformers and watched the Shining last night with no problem. Would a firmware update help, or does this sound like a disc problem?
Old 10-26-07, 12:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A firmware update couldn't hurt.
Old 10-26-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, update that firmware. There was a time when I couldn't get through any movie on the HD-A1 without some sort of hiccup. Unfortunately I could never get rid of all my playback problems, so I upgraded to the HD-A2.
Old 10-26-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Just to warn you - don't get your expectations too high based on 2001. It seems that 2001 is the really impressive one while EWS and ACO aren't so much. It's probably due to how they were filmed rather than issues with the discs though.
I watched EWS. I really think you are correct about it being how it was filmed. I have nothing to compare it with though. I'll check out ACO tonight.
Old 10-27-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Alright, I updated the firmware yesterday and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks.
Old 11-04-07, 05:43 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future Shop finally got The Shining and Full Metal Jacket in on HD-DVD, so I picked those up today. But, the cashier dropped one of them, so I'm going to check the discs for scratches (I can't remember which one it was that she dropped and I didn't grab another copy because they only had one of each.) I'm glad to finally have all five of the films on HD-DVD though.
Old 11-04-07, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

Someone, is Full Metal Jacket worth the double dip? Its way too early to start double dipping HD DVDs but it is Full Metal Jacket...
Old 11-04-07, 10:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Apparently the transfer is a lot better on the new disc.
Old 11-05-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Just to warn you - don't get your expectations too high based on 2001. It seems that 2001 is the really impressive one while EWS and ACO aren't so much. It's probably due to how they were filmed rather than issues with the discs though.
2001 was one of those 60s films shot on 70mm I believe. That is why the transfer is so breathtaking. Haven't picked up the other SK films yet, but loved 2001.
Old 11-05-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
2001 was one of those 60s films shot on 70mm I believe. That is why the transfer is so breathtaking. Haven't picked up the other SK films yet, but loved 2001.
I thought that they were only shot with a 35mm stock... I could only imagine the price of this film if it was shot all in 70mm.

10.5 M to shoot it.... add another million or two because of the ammount of shots Kubrick took.
Old 11-05-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Laboratory
Technicolor

Film length (metres)
5050 m (Finland) (70 mm)

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
65 mm

Cinematographic process
Super Panavision 70

Printed film format
8 mm (anamorphic)
35 mm
70 mm

Aspect ratio
2.20 : 1
Old 11-05-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Laboratory
Technicolor

Film length (metres)
5050 m (Finland) (70 mm)

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
65 mm

Cinematographic process
Super Panavision 70

Printed film format
8 mm (anamorphic)
35 mm
70 mm

Aspect ratio
2.20 : 1
Okay, that was what I thought. These 70mm ultra resolution movies are just freaking amazing to look at. I could only imagine what a film like 2001 would look like in 4K, but really don't think that tech is hitting the mainstream for a long, long time.
Old 11-05-07, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

4K would look nice, but the way to see 2001 is, of course, in 70mm. I've had that pleasure twice.
Old 11-05-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Okay, that was what I thought. These 70mm ultra resolution movies are just freaking amazing to look at. I could only imagine what a film like 2001 would look like in 4K, but really don't think that tech is hitting the mainstream for a long, long time.
We can wait a decade, can't we?

I remember hearing about blue laser tech about ten years ago.

I don't see why we won't have it in ten years.
Old 11-05-07, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Even if we had 4K in our homes, the place to see movies like 2001 and Blade Runner would still be in a movie theater. It makes a world of difference.
Old 11-05-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Even if we had 4K in our homes, the place to see movies like 2001 and Blade Runner would still be in a movie theater. It makes a world of difference.
I was lucky enough to see Lawrence of Arabia this way when they were showing a restored print at a local art house theater. Definitely not an experience you can duplicate at home.
Old 11-06-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Yeah, but in a movie theater you can't skip the intermission.

I've always hated the intermission in 2001. The movie's not long enough to support one, and it's placed at an awkward time. The intermission is just a holdover from the movie's Roadshow release. When the running time was trimmed for the final cut, for some reason the intermission never got removed.
Old 11-06-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. I watched up until the intermission of 2001 last night..boy was I impressed..
Old 11-06-07, 05:08 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh Z

I've always hated the intermission in 2001. The movie's not long enough to support one, and it's placed at an awkward time. The intermission is just a holdover from the movie's Roadshow release. When the running time was trimmed for the final cut, for some reason the intermission never got removed.
The longer cut was available for, at best, a week. Kubrick himself made cuts to the film for the version we have now, and he kept the intermission in there. Perhaps the reason it's there is not for length, but to let the audience reflect on what they've seen before launching into the final portions of the movie.
Old 11-06-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I finally got two of my Kubrick titles from WHV today. Oddly, The Shining had a security sticker for Stomp the Yard on it.
Old 11-07-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The longer cut was available for, at best, a week. Kubrick himself made cuts to the film for the version we have now, and he kept the intermission in there. Perhaps the reason it's there is not for length, but to let the audience reflect on what they've seen before launching into the final portions of the movie.
I still hate it, and always have. The original VHS release of the movie cut out the intermission, and it played much better that way (except for the pan & scan transfer and low resolution, of course).

It's a great movie, of course, but that intermission is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-08-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I happened to be in Washington DC a few years ago on vacation and noticed that they were playing the 70mm restoration of 2001 at the AFI Silver theater.

It was hands-down the most awesome film experience of my life.

They dimmed the lights and played the special orchestral music before the film started and included the intermission. I found the intermission to be nice. Still like the intermission. Gives you a chance to reflect on what you've seen before the second half.
Old 11-08-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spider-Man
Someone, is Full Metal Jacket worth the double dip? Its way too early to start double dipping HD DVDs but it is Full Metal Jacket...
Yes, the discontinued one (the one with the mostly white cover) has jaggies all over the place. Rumor was it was incorrectly de-interlaced or "bobbed" or whatever before it was put on disc. It was very obvious. To me, it remains the worst of all HD discs I've seen (around 60 titles).

The new one fixed that problem. I also believe the newer one has extras but the discontinued one does not.
Old 11-08-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DamingR
I happened to be in Washington DC a few years ago on vacation and noticed that they were playing the 70mm restoration of 2001 at the AFI Silver theater.

It was hands-down the most awesome film experience of my life.

They dimmed the lights and played the special orchestral music before the film started and included the intermission. I found the intermission to be nice. Still like the intermission. Gives you a chance to reflect on what you've seen before the second half.
I also saw it in 70mm around that time, and yes it was an awe-inspiring experience. Except in my case, the intermission gave all the dipshit college students in the audience time to heckle the movie's slow pace and "wicked dated special effects".
Old 11-08-07, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

I still hate it, and always have. The original VHS release of the movie cut out the intermission, and it played much better that way (except for the pan & scan transfer and low resolution, of course).

It's a great movie, of course, but that intermission is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Well, thank goodness for chapter stops, right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.