Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Denon officially announces Blu-Ray players (BDJ 1.1, DTS-MA, Realta HQV)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/denon-lin...yer-281915.php

DVD-3800BDCI

Today in Jersey City, Denon unveiled its flagship DVD player, the DVD-3800BDCI, coming out this fall. It will be among the first to sport the BD-ROM version 1.1, which means it will have dual audio/video decoders to take advantage of picture-in-picture content, and has an SD card slot, so that you can download web content. It does not have an Ethernet jack, however, so you will have to use a PC to download content to SD. It's also, according to Denon, the world's first high-def disc player to use the Realta HQV video processor for super-badass video cleanup. The processor will clean up Blu-ray discs, if that tells you anything.

DENON TO INTRODUCE GROUNDBREAKING BD-ROM PROFILE 1 version 1.1
BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER AND TRANSPORT

• New Products Represent the Pinnacle of High-Definition DVD Video and Audio Performance; Offer Exciting Interactive Capabilities -

Mahwah, NJ - July 24, 2007 -- Denon Electronics, a world leader in high-performance home entertainment products, today announced the upcoming introduction of two groundbreaking DVD products, the new reference-standard DVD-3800BDCI BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1
Blu-ray Disc Player and the DVD-2500BTC BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 Blu-ray Disc Transport. The DVD-3800BDCI (SRP: $1,999) is the world's first BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 Blu-ray Disc Player from a Blu-Ray Disc Association member featuring the acclaimed 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset. It provides users with the highest resolution high-definition video available today via HDMI™ connection, as well as the ultimate in audio performance, including high-definition audio decoding and DDSC-HD audio output. The DVD-2500BTCI outputs audio and video signals and requires a connected audio/video receiver to do the decoding. Both BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 Blu-ray units are slated to ship this fall.

In addition to its Blu-ray Disc introductions, Denon is updating its advanced lineup of DVD players and changers with six additional models, including the DVD-1940CI (SRP: $349) and DVD-1740 (SRP: $169), as well as the new DVM-1845 (SRP: $269) 5-disc DVD changer. With the new additions, Denon's current line of DVD players now feature advanced HDMI output capability for the ultimate in audio and video performance. Three new models in the company's Retail Home Theater DVD lineup have also been added, including the DVD-758 (SRP: $349) and DVD-558 (SRP: $169) DVD players, as well as the new DVM-745 (SRP: $269) 5-disc changer.

Joe Stinziano, Denon's Senior Vice President for Sales and Marketing, noted: "Denon is committed to providing our discriminating customers with a no-compromise high-end solution for enjoying next-generation high resolution media. Our new products exemplify the highest level of home theater quality. As a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, we brought all of our design and engineering expertise to bear in the creation of these groundbreaking Blu-ray products, setting new performance standards for the format. Denon remains committed to offering our customers the most options in ultimate-quality home entertainment products and to this end, our future plans do not preclude the introduction of high-definition products in other formats."

Reference-Standard DVD-3800BDCI: "Boundless" Home Entertainment
Denon's new DVD-3800BDCI BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 Blu-ray Disc Player sets new standards in high-performance, interactive DVD playback. In addition to delivering the pinnacle of high-quality audio and video performance, both the DVD-3800BDCI and DVD-2500BTCI feature SD card readers that offer users a new level of full interactivity with multiple opportunities for content providers to add enhanced content such as movie trailers, games and more.

The Ultimate in Video Performance...
In addition to being in the forefront of BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 Blu-ray Disc Player technology, Denon's DVD-3800BDCI is also the world's first to feature the acclaimed 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset, providing enhanced video performance with upconversion and IP scaling to 1080p. The pixel-by-pixel and Digital Noise Reduction feature afforded by this technology allows the player to remove image-degrading artifacts, resulting in astoundingly clear, high-resolution image quality.

The Ultimate in Audio Performance...
Denon's new DVD-3800BDCI also utilizes a variety of the world's most advanced audio technologies, including Advanced AL24 processing, to deliver the ultimate in audio performance. The player offers HD Audio and DDSC-HD, with decoding of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and is capable of outputting both 7.1-channel analog signals and PCM audio via HDMI output.

DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray Transport: High-Performance Connection to A/V Receivers
The DVD-2500BTCI is a leading edge Blu-ray Disc Transport that allows owners of advanced A/V receivers to add Blu-ray capability to their system and enjoy high definition video. The DVD-2500BTCI will natively output an HD audio bit-stream to a connected receiver via HDMI. Once this signal is accepted in the receiver, it can then be decoded into its native format including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

Secondary Video and Audio Decoders
In keeping with the guidelines mandated by the Blu-ray Association for BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 players, both Denon Models DVD-3800BDCI and DVD-2500BTCI incorporate a secondary audio and video decoder. This allows for simultaneous playback of a secondary audio and video track which may be used for interactive audio and commentary and for picture-in-picture capability (respectively). Additional information (subtitles, audio streams, camera angles, trailers, games, etc.) can be downloaded from the Internet via computer and stored on a SD card that either player will accept. This content can be played with the original content of Blu-ray Discs.

Denon's DVD Lineup offers More Models with HDMI Output
In addition to the new Blu-ray Disc products, Denon has significantly upgraded its DVD player line. Denon's new DVD-1940CI and DVD-1740 DVD players, for example, output video at stunning 1080p resolution via HDMI, making them ideal for use with the advanced digital display devices of today (and tomorrow). The superior image quality of the DVD-1940CI is achieved through the use of the advanced Faroudja FLi2301 DCDi chipset, providing an improved Film Mode, 3:2 pulldown detection and de-interlacing, as well as five Progressive Mode memory settings that enable viewers to fine-tune picture quality to their particular preference. The result is remarkably clear, high-resolution image quality, free from picture artifacts. Additional audio/video enhancements in the DVD-1940CI include HDMI 1.1 output compatibility, SACD / DVD-Audio playback, discrete interlaced and progressive video D/A converters. For enhanced audio playback, both the DVD-1940CI and DVD-1740 use discrete high performance Burr
Brown Audio DACs - models PCM-1738 and PCM-1756 respectively. The DVD-1940CI and
DVD-1740 will also interchangeably convert video standards; NTSC and PAL and the DVD-1940CI will now support the popular DivX Ultra standard.

The DVD-1740 and the DVD-1940CI are both currently available.

NEW 5-Disc DVD-Changer Added to Lineup
To provide additional flexibility, Denon is also introducing a new 5-disc DVD changer, with HDMI 1.0 and selectable scaling output to 1080p. Model, DVM-1845 is a progressive scan changer with DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD and CD-R/RW playback compatibility, Kodak Picture, FujiColor, and JPEG Photo File Viewer for total convenience and utility. For enhanced image quality, the DVM-1845 also includes an advanced 12-Bit Video DAC (108MHz, 480i/480p) and 3:2 Pull-Down detection. The DVM-1845 is currently available.

In addition to the new models announced today, Denon's DVD line includes: the flagship DVD-5910CI (SRP: $3,800), DVD-3930CI (SRP: $1,499) and DVD-2930CI (SRP: $849).

New Retail Home Theater Series Models: High-Value, High-Performance
Denon's new Retail Home Theater Series line of advanced DVD players, includes the DVD-758, DVD-558 and DVM-745 5-disc changer, and offers many of the same high-quality features found in Denon's companion models. Features include HDMI output with upscaling to 1080p, Burr Brown 24/192 Audio DACs, playback of CDs and DVDs with MP3 and WMA 9 audio files as well as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. Additionally, the DVD-758 will play discs encoded with DivX Ultra. All three models are currently available.
Old 07-24-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$2,000?! Ouch. That's as much as 10 times more than a HD-DVD player. I think they'll need to get those prices down a bit more.
Old 07-24-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've always been on the higher end of the price spectrum regardless but I agree even $2000 is pushing it.
Old 07-24-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by valkyrie
$2,000?! Ouch. That's as much as 10 times more than a HD-DVD player. I think they'll need to get those prices down a bit more.
And much better player then any HD-DVD player currently on the market.
Old 07-24-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably get rid of my Panny BD10 and Denon 2930 and pick this up for my main system. I don't think the price is too outrageous, considering their 3900 series DVD-only players go for $1500. Is it for everyone? Definitely not. But there will be a market for these. I'm sure it will be high quality and feature-laden and will match my Denon 4806 very nicely .
Old 07-24-07, 04:25 PM

With these types of prices, the average joe won't be getting into HD any time soon.
Old 07-24-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kiett_2000
With these types of prices, the average joe won't be getting into HD any time soon.
Average joe never bought the high end denon dvd player - yet dvds caught on just fine.
Old 07-24-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone see the HD DVD or DVD groups sqwaking about the model number?
Old 07-24-07, 04:39 PM

what i like about this announcement is that 1.1 is really coming

there was always the possibility of another delay but doesn't seem like it anymore
Old 07-24-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only 2000.00? sign me up for 2.

I think I'll stick with my PS3 for a while longer.
Old 07-24-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
$2000 is very affordable for a Denon high end player.
Old 07-24-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
They've always been on the higher end of the price spectrum regardless but I agree even $2000 is pushing it.
...and it still doesn't have Internet connectivity, so it's not even a definitive player.
Old 07-24-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Anyone see the HD DVD or DVD groups sqwaking about the model number?
What about it?
Old 07-24-07, 07:12 PM
Banned

It says DVD.
Old 07-24-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
It says DVD.
Why not? It supports DVDs.
Old 07-24-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
And much better player then any HD-DVD player currently on the market.
Since you seem to have one on hand, why don't you tell us how great the picture looks? Does it do everything you want it to?

....OR....are you just hoping it will be better than any HD-DVD player (at 4-10 times the price, I sure hope so!).

Sheesh....
Old 07-24-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
Average joe never bought the high end denon dvd player - yet dvds caught on just fine.
Heck, the average Joe rarely buys into Denon...but of course, this BD player is not intended for that market to begin with. It is a very attractive BD player, but that price is way out of my ballpark. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-24-07, 09:47 PM

Another nail in the coffin for... oh poop.

It's being spun as a massive coup for BR, but the fact is I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred are sold here in the U.S. It's a boutique player not mass market. Now if Denon releases future lower-end models below $1K (doubtful in the near future), that's a different matter...
Old 07-24-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, it is nice, but I will wait for the second Denon if I want to spend that much money. It is a first gen player, I know Denon has an excellent track record and the specs are great, but I would be hesitant to spend that much on their first trip into BD. To be fair, I have been the same way with HD DVD and BD players in my house currently (I waited for excellent deals and several reviews before laying down the cash). I honestly think someone will release an excellent combo player sometime next year (barring a clear cut winner in the format war), hopefully Denon or Pioneer, and that is what I would really like to have.

Oh, and for those talking about this pushing people away from HD n general and BD in particular, it will do no such thing. This player is for the people not pinching pennies when it comes to AV equipment. The target market for this player is used to paying $1000+ for a DVD player when you can get them for under $50. Relatively speaking, it is very reasonable for a Denon flagship BD player IMHO.
Old 07-24-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is not a top-end Denon player. That would have a 5xxx model number and cost at minimum $3500, probably $4K with BD.

The real difference will be in the audio and DVD upconversion, not so much the BD playback, I would imagine. About time someone announces something interesting.

Comparing this to an A2 is just silly. It has nothing to do with what discs they play, they simply aren't in the same marketplace.
Old 07-24-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
"It's also, according to Denon, the world's first high-def disc player to use the Realta HQV video processor for super-badass video cleanup."
It would be funny if those were the exact words that Denon used to describe it. "Only Denon components can provide the super-badass video cleanup your home theatre needs."
Old 07-25-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you seem to have one on hand, why don't you tell us how great the picture looks? Does it do everything you want it to?

....OR....are you just hoping it will be better than any HD-DVD player (at 4-10 times the price, I sure hope so!).

Sheesh....
Don't have one, but I can read - and the specs show it to be a great player. It has great audio processing, plus it supports SACD and DVD-A. I currently own the Denon 3910 (as well as the HD-A2 and PS3) and I know from experience how good their players are.

I am happy with my HD-A2 and it does a great job playing HD-DVDs, but it is a basic player. It would be nice to retire my 3910 one day and just have HD-DVD and BR, but for now that is not an option. With something like this Denon, I could.
Old 07-25-07, 01:15 AM

Cost more than my tv
Old 07-25-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzlle01
Cost more than my tv
Cost more than my entire Home Theater
Old 07-25-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Cost more than my entire Home Theater
You need to invest more in your HT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.