Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

'Cars' Drives to Blu-ray this November

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-18-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Walt Disney Home Entertainment is reportedly planning to bring the Pixar blockbuster 'Cars' to Blu-ray this November in a feature-loaded special edition.

Hollywood in Hi-Def has the early details, quoting a Disney exec as saying the studio plans to debut the first-ever Pixar release on high-def November 6.

The Blu-ray version is expected to include all of the same supplements as the standard-def DVD release (which hit stores last fall), plus two new extras, exclusive to the Blu-ray edition. In addition to a new deleted scene, "Traffic," the 'Cars' Blu-ray is also set to feature a BD-Java enhanced "Car Finder," which will allow users to search for the more than 200 different cars featured in the movie, and even "race the clock" to find a specific car in a frozen frame of film.

The 'Cars' Blu-ray was originally expected to debut this past June, but the studio eventually delayed those plans, citing additional involvement from Pixar.

Disney has not officially confirmed the November 6 street date for 'Cars,' but as they have already announced, the studio does plan to offer demos of the 'Cars' Blu-ray and its bonus features during their eighteen-city road show that begins in August. So the signs definitely look good that 'Cars' will finally be revving up on Blu-ray this holiday season.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...s_November/785
Old 07-18-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm glad to see it's coming, I was really hoping for more supplements than the two new features. The Cars DVD was pretty bare bones in comparison to a lot of DVDs, and was definitely the worst PIXAR DVD released. I had hoped since it took another year to do the Blu Ray that it'd be loaded like past Pixar DVDs, but I guess that was not to be.
Old 07-19-07, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dcprules
While I'm glad to see it's coming, I was really hoping for more supplements than the two new features. The Cars DVD was pretty bare bones in comparison to a lot of DVDs, and was definitely the worst PIXAR DVD released. I had hoped since it took another year to do the Blu Ray that it'd be loaded like past Pixar DVDs, but I guess that was not to be.
Yeah, especially considering they're supposed to be using a 50GB disc and a 25GB disc. (Unless that has changed too)

I'm not buying their reasoning for the delay. I believe it was due to a combination of BD+ and lackluster sales of catalog titles. I think they decided to save it for the fall where it would have a chance of selling more. I was hoping for a third Pixar title this fall (assuming Ratatouille will be day and date), but now that looks unlikely. The 2 we get should be good though!
Old 07-19-07, 03:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The only reason I'm excited about this is because hopefully it means the other, better Pixar films are also in the pipeline.
Old 07-19-07, 08:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
couldn't they have picked a 'better' Pixar film than CARS? How about that Pixar animation shorts collection?
Old 07-19-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I was hoping for a third Pixar title this fall (assuming Ratatouille will be day and date), but now that looks unlikely. The 2 we get should be good though!
There will be a third Pixar title later this year, but it won't be a movie.
Old 07-19-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll get this...but Monsters Inc. is what I'm dying for... watched it in HD on abc a few weeks ago and it looked really good, so I'm sure the blu-ray will impress....hurry up disney!
Old 07-19-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
couldn't they have picked a 'better' Pixar film than CARS? How about that Pixar animation shorts collection?
Because Cars will sell more discs and encourage more player purchases.
Old 07-19-07, 09:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Because Cars will sell more discs and encourage more player purchases.

I was being a tad sarcastic... but no, given the "child appeal" was the highest for CARS and how barebones the standard DVD release was, Pixar will definately be milking this release.
Old 07-19-07, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Ratatouille should be day/date. DAMN i cant wait for that!! I will be purchasing cars for sure.
Old 07-20-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There will be a third Pixar title later this year, but it won't be a movie.
While it would be nice to have them together on one disc, I'm not sure I'll want to buy the shorts collection since they should end up on the movies' discs anyway.
Old 07-22-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
You'll be getting both this holiday season, so I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 07-22-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
The weird thing is when I was at that Pixar press event for Cars last year, they told me a commentary track had been recorded in advance of the DVD, and they strongly hinted that it'd be on the Blu-ray release. Doesn't sound like they're using it, tho'. Wonder if they're waiting for a 2-disc DVD re-release or something.
Old 07-22-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The weird thing is when I was at that Pixar press event for Cars last year, they told me a commentary track had been recorded in advance of the DVD, and they strongly hinted that it'd be on the Blu-ray release. Doesn't sound like they're using it, tho'. Wonder if they're waiting for a 2-disc DVD re-release or something.
Since the original DVD was released, I have speculated that they would hold off on the extras for a simultaneous DVD and BD release of a special edition. Maybe they will still do that this fall.
Old 07-22-07, 08:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You know, I'm not sure the target audience for this film has bought in HD yet...but we'll see how the sales #s do.
Old 07-23-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll bet that 90% of the HD market right now is a fan of Pixar's work. Their titles are a huge feather in BD's cap.
Old 07-23-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll be getting it.
Old 07-23-07, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

Too bad as global warming and habitat destruction becomes much more obvious, PIXAR decides to put out a film that makes cars seem like warm, loveable characters to young, impressionable minds. Not that it's a bad movie... just not very sensitive to the state of affairs on the planet.

Disney/Steve Jobs/Apple/PIXAR must have received a lot of money from the auto industry and/or the oil & gas lobby for not much more than a paid advertisment.

Personally, I'd much rather see Toy Story 1 & 2 and their other PIXAR films and shorts than Cars.
Old 07-23-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Goofy4Movies
Too bad as global warming and habitat destruction becomes much more obvious, PIXAR decides to put out a film that makes cars seem like warm, loveable characters to young, impressionable minds. Not that it's a bad movie... just not very sensitive to the state of affairs on the planet.

Disney/Steve Jobs/Apple/PIXAR must have received a lot of money from the auto industry and/or the oil & gas lobby for not much more than a paid advertisment.
Old 07-23-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Personally, I'd much rather see Toy Story 1 & 2 and their other PIXAR films and shorts than Cars.
Old 07-23-07, 05:21 PM
Suspended

WTF?
Old 07-23-07, 05:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 07-23-07, 06:09 PM
Suspended

So in otherwords.. Cars on blu-ray killed earth!
Old 08-09-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 'Cars' Drives to Blu-ray this November

Didn't really think it was worth starting a new thread over, so I thought I would bump this one instead. Cars 3D is coming to blu ray on Oct 29th

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cars-3.../78419/#Review
Old 08-10-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: 'Cars' Drives to Blu-ray this November

Yeah, apparently it's being re-rendered rather than converted. I wanna get it but it seems there is no coupon in sight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.