DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Harry Potter & Blade Runner Box Sets Blu-Ray/HD-DVD in 4th Quarter (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/506659-harry-potter-blade-runner-box-sets-blu-ray-hd-dvd-4th-quarter.html)

matome 07-17-07 04:27 PM

Harry Potter & Blade Runner Box Sets Blu-Ray/HD-DVD in 4th Quarter

$150 for the Harry Potter set, no price on the Blade Runner sets.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6461120.html

Harry Potter, others coming in Q4
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 7/17/2007

JULY 17 | LAS VEGAS—Summer blockbusters get a lot of the buzz in the fourth quarter on DVD, but Warner Home Video believes retail also will find deluxe box sets particularly valuable because of their relatively richer profit margins—and at the studio’s Monday night reception here, retailers agreed.

At the event for key retailers, Warner showed off 14 such DVD collections that the studio will make available for retail this fourth quarter. Since many of these multiple-disc sets are lavishly packaged and include exclusive add-ons, they carry pricing of $100 to $200 or more. Sets will include Harry Potter Years 1-5 Limited Edition Gift Set and The Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series.

“There are opportunities in the marketplace at a time when there is erosion in pricing,” said Jeff Baker, Warner senior VP and general manager of theatrical catalog and sales. “We are moving upwards in price" with the upcoming collections.

The high-end collections fit a new merchandising scheme rolled out in Circuit City stores in April this year.

“We re-merchandised the highest margin product into the highest trafficked areas of the stores,” said Leigh Ann Moore, Circuit City merchandise manager. “There are great margin opportunities when you put your best foot forward [with deluxe product offerings]. We have sold Troy as low as $6.99. And now this is another way to invest" in that title.

A Target buyer also praised Warner’s premium pricing initiative, explaining, “DVD collections are a great part of the overall business.”

Such DVD collector sets represented more than $500 million in consumer purchases last year, according to Warner research. Year-to-date, the category is 7% higher in sales than the same 2006 frame, the studio believes.

Baker also singled out Warner’s upcoming 25th anniversary Blade Runner releases, which include four-disc and five-disc configurations, as especially critical for the studio.

Taking Blade Runner and Harry together, “this will mean $40 million in consumer sales,” estimated Baker.

Title details

The Harry Potter set, priced at $119.97 standard-definition and $149.99 Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, will hold the first five films including the most recent theatrical installment, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It represents the first time Warner has enhanced a Potter collection with exclusive memorabilia, which includes bookmarks and collectible trading cards.

The five-disc Blade Runner set is $78.92 and four-disc is $34.99. Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date.

At $258.82, Gilmore Girls carries all seven seasons of the show packed into a collectible retro doll case. It features a 60-page booklet, among other items.

Exact street dates for Potter, Blade Runner and Gilmore Girls sets haven’t yet been specified.

Warner also is touting upcoming new versions of catalog releases, including the Sept. 18 bow of Troy Ultimate Collector’s Edition Director’s Cut, not yet seen in theaters, for $39.92.

Other top-line Warner collections heading to shelves during the holidays include The O.C.: The Complete Series (street date not set), featuring all 92 episodes across 28 discs held in a keepsake box for $179.92; Full House: The Complete Series, Nov. 6, spanning 192 episodes across 32 DVDs, $169.72; Planet Earth/Blue Planet Box Set, Oct. 2, carrying 15 hours of programming on 10 discs for $119.99; and America’s Game: The Super Bowl Champions (street date not set), holding 40 episodes of the NFL TV series across 40 discs; pricing still to be determined.

Mr. Cinema 07-17-07 04:49 PM

If Amazon prices the Potter set at 30% off, that puts it at $104.99. So minus the 10% deal, I'll be able to get it for $94.49 shipped. Not bad for all 5. I'm assuming the BD sets will have interactive features since they'll arrive after the specs are FINALLY finalized. They better include PCM or TrueHD tracks.

Rusty James 07-17-07 04:50 PM

The five-disc Blade Runner set is $78.92 and four-disc is $34.99. Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date.:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Anubis2005X 07-17-07 05:24 PM

Do I upgrade Harry Potter I - IV with the Blu-ray releases? Or do I just get Harry Potter V on Blu-ray and keep the old? Decisions decisions...

Drexl 07-17-07 05:24 PM

I assume the 5-disc DVD set of Blade Runner includes some kind of extra thing that drives up the price, such as special packaging or non-disc items. I hope the HD versions are discs only and therefore have just the usual HD premium (costing maybe $50-60 retail), rather than actually being more expensive than the 5-disc DVD set. Even with the different cuts, I'm not sure I want to pay around $60-80 for this. (Cue laserdisc owners telling me to count my blessings.)

Supermallet 07-17-07 05:48 PM

I own it on laserdisc and you should count your blessings!

Actually, I do own Blade Runner on laserdisc, and it's the Criterion, but I only paid about $10 for it. Regardless, I will own both of these and will pay whatever is necessary.

Tracer Bullet 07-17-07 05:50 PM

What the hell is a 5-disc Blade Runner set going to consist of?

Robert George 07-17-07 05:52 PM

(Cue laserdisc owners telling me to count my blessings.)
Count your blessings.

Personally, I'd wait in line for the HD versions of both the Blade Runner and Potter sets, at almost any price.

Supermallet 07-17-07 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What the hell is a 5-disc Blade Runner set going to consist of?

1. U.S. Theatrical Cut
2. European Theatrical Cut
3. Director's Cut
4. "Definitive" Cut
5. Extras

That's my guess, anyway.

RoboDad 07-17-07 06:34 PM

I always have a problem buying a deluxe box set of movies when the series is incomplete. What happens with the remaining Potter movies? Will they get similar (complementing) treatment, so we can just add them to the set? Or will we need to repurchase a new set to get the uber-deluxe versions?

Rusty James 07-17-07 06:39 PM

DavisDVD put up a detailed, albeit tentative, breakdown of what those five discs of Blade Runner goodness will consist of:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/spy.html

And no, one of them is not a CD soundtrack. :)

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT.

Drexl 07-17-07 06:43 PM

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I know some people will have the opposite opinion, but I would like to get the films in HD but not have to pay for the briefcase and other stuff.

Tracer Bullet 07-17-07 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty James
DavisDVD put up a detailed, albeit tentative, breakdown of what those five discs of Blade Runner goodness will consist of:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/spy.html

And no, one of them is not a CD soundtrack. :)

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT.

Looks interesting, but a little bloated. I assume they're putting three versions of the same movie on one disc using branching? If so, why not just put all four versions on one disc?

clckworang 07-17-07 07:59 PM

Very excited about the Blade Runner announcement! That movie has been waiting so long to just get another version on DVD out, much less on a HD format.

This might be slightly off point, but I'm getting so tired of these complete series sets for TV shows. I understand that they are a great deal for those people who have never bought any seasons before, but they really fuck over those of us who have bought every single set as they were released.

It doesn't sound like the Gilmore Girls set will have anything new besides memorabilia, but I get so fed up with shows that I've collected from the start (Alias, Homicide, Buffy as a few examples) and then they release a super-mega set with all-new extra features.

Great, over several years I spend hundreds of dollars to collect these shows and now that at the end is near, you decide to release a full set with more features and no alternative for those people who were loyal and bought all through the release cycle. For many of them, no big deal, but it still smarts that they release a full series set of Homicide that includes the Law & Order crossover episodes that weren't on the original set.

OK, sorry for the diversion. Rant done. Back to HD talk.

Mr. Cinema 07-17-07 08:13 PM

Surely 50gig of space can lower that 5-disc set for the BD release, right?

edstein 07-17-07 08:22 PM

Something tells me that the 5 disc bladerunner set will be HD on the first disc and SD for the rest.

Adam Tyner 07-17-07 08:43 PM

Warner has fairly recently done a high-def transfer of the director's cut -- it aired on HDNet Movies and, I believe, on InHD -- so hopefully that won't be the case.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Surely 50gig of space can lower that 5-disc set for the BD release, right?

They may prefer to keep it at 5 discs for marketing purposes.

Drexl 07-17-07 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Looks interesting, but a little bloated. I assume they're putting three versions of the same movie on one disc using branching? If so, why not just put all four versions on one disc?

I would assume it's branching. The added scenes and updated effects in the Final Cut probably just make up too much footage to branch with the others. It may be doable for HD formats but too much for DVD.

Arpeggi 07-17-07 09:23 PM

I just need the film in HD, don't care about that other shit.

cornflakeguy 07-17-07 10:18 PM

I'm down for the 5 movie Harry Potter, but this brings up a pet peeve of mine.

Let's say this 5 movie Harry Potter collection comes in a nice box, or other premium, built to hold the first 5 movies. What do we do when the last 2 come out on HD? Just set them next to the first 5 that are in their nice-ass box?

DthRdrX 07-17-07 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I'm down for the 5 movie Harry Potter, but this brings up a pet peeve of mine.

Let's say this 5 movie Harry Potter collection comes in a nice box, or other premium, built to hold the first 5 movies. What do we do when the last 2 come out on HD? Just set them next to the first 5 that are in their nice-ass box?

Yep, I've been irked by the practice myself.

Davy Mack 07-17-07 11:10 PM

Cool for the BR set but indeed, what the hell is on Disc 5...?!?!?

Supermallet 07-18-07 04:57 AM

It's a workprint that was used as the basis for the original director's cut. I'm fairly shocked they're including it. It's got stuff in it that has never before been seen in any version of Blade Runner, although the new final cut may include it. But even then, I expect it will be fairly fascinating, as it was assembled in 1982, not 1992 or 2007.

issues 07-18-07 08:19 AM

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/image...r-finalcut.jpg

Tracer Bullet 07-18-07 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would assume it's branching. The added scenes and updated effects in the Final Cut probably just make up too much footage to branch with the others. It may be doable for HD formats but too much for DVD.

Ah, I wasn't aware this was also coming out on DVD. Makes sense then.