Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter & Blade Runner Box Sets Blu-Ray/HD-DVD in 4th Quarter

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Harry Potter & Blade Runner Box Sets Blu-Ray/HD-DVD in 4th Quarter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was kind of hoping the Harry Potter Box would contain both the theatrical and extended television cuts of 'Sorcerer's Stone'/'Chamber of Secrets' - oh well, I hope at least they get rid of that stupid game off of the first disc to access the deleted scenes.

I'm hoping that the Harry Potter films get the TrueHD treatment, I saw the 35mm version over at the AFI (Silver) last night and was astonished at how intense and loud the 5.1 mix gets for 'Chamber of Secrets'

Last edited by Giles; 07-18-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-18-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just hope the Blade Runner set doesn't end up with only the Final Cut in HD and the rest in SD.
Old 07-18-07, 08:50 AM

since HDNet Movie's been airing the Director's Cut (not the Final Cut) in HiDef - Warner's wouldn't be stupid not to include a HiDef edition of that cut.
Old 07-18-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I'm down for the 5 movie Harry Potter, but this brings up a pet peeve of mine.

Let's say this 5 movie Harry Potter collection comes in a nice box, or other premium, built to hold the first 5 movies. What do we do when the last 2 come out on HD? Just set them next to the first 5 that are in their nice-ass box?
Yep, it's a pretty annoying practice. Luckily, while I enjoy the HP movies to a degree, they're not double-dip level for me, so hopefully HP5 will get a separete release and I'll just pick that up on BD. If not I'll just wait for separates if we only get a box initially.
Old 07-18-07, 08:52 AM

off comment: I know that Warner's going to theatrical release the new expanded version of 'Troy' in select theatres before the video release, are they going to release the final cut of 'Blade Runner' theatrically? 'Troy' in DLP no less, 'Blade Runner' on the big screen is obviousily the ideal experience to see this as such.
Old 07-18-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
I just hope the Blade Runner set doesn't end up with only the Final Cut in HD and the rest in SD.
I really don't want anything but the final cut. I don't want to pay $60+ for the HD version to get it.
Old 07-18-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These prices are not very condusive to blind buys.

I expect WB will release similar sets for the Kubrick movies and Oceans trilogy. I would like to just pick and choose some of those individual releases that I want, but I am expecting to be forced to buy the box sets and sell the titles I do not want.
Old 07-18-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yep. Case and point: the upcoming Jack Ryan Collection.
Old 07-18-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, actually I wouldn't mind with the Kubrick set because I want all of those, but good point.
Old 07-18-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I'm down for the 5 movie Harry Potter, but this brings up a pet peeve of mine.

Let's say this 5 movie Harry Potter collection comes in a nice box, or other premium, built to hold the first 5 movies. What do we do when the last 2 come out on HD? Just set them next to the first 5 that are in their nice-ass box?
Hopefully, Warner will do what they did for the Astaire/Rogers collection and offer a second larger box with the newer movies with enough space for the previous ones.
Old 07-18-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
These prices are not very condusive to blind buys.

I expect WB will release similar sets for the Kubrick movies and Oceans trilogy. I would like to just pick and choose some of those individual releases that I want, but I am expecting to be forced to buy the box sets and sell the titles I do not want.
I agree and am still waiting until I can buy the Matrix by itself without the other movies. I'll likely spring for the entire Kubrick box since I pretty much love all his movies.
Old 07-18-07, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by chente
I agree and am still waiting until I can buy the Matrix by itself without the other movies. I'll likely spring for the entire Kubrick box since I pretty much love all his movies.
yet 'Barry Lyndon' isn't in the collection - shame on you Warners.
Old 07-18-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by issues
You should qualify this as being the R4 release. There has been no confirmation on the R1 having the briefcase/other special items.

Personally, I would love the option to have the release as pictured above. I'm sick of other regions getting awesome packaging like this.
Old 07-18-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's hoping for IME on all the Harry Potter films...that would help make up for the lack of actual supplements (aside from deleted scenes and the occasional fluffy making-ofs) on the DVD counterparts.
Old 07-18-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
You should qualify this as being the R4 release. There has been no confirmation on the R1 having the briefcase/other special items.

Personally, I would love the option to have the release as pictured above. I'm sick of other regions getting awesome packaging like this.

Ridley Scott has said in an interview in Total Film magazine that there will be a suitcase, I very much doubt he was talking about a R4 only release!

To quote the master:
"It's finished. A five-disc set in a Deckard briefcase comes out this autumn. It's a state-of-the-art digital print, which we haven't really had for about 15 years. It'll probably be shown at the Venice film festival"
Old 07-18-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The briefcase probably explains the difference in price between the 4- and 5-disc sets.
Old 07-18-07, 02:07 PM

I'm confused, a briefcase edition will be produced for both the standard AND HiDef editions??
Old 07-18-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be getting Bladerunner and waiting for the full set of Harry Potter in a few years.
Old 07-18-07, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Numes

Then just buy a multi-region player. How could you miss out on all the cool sets from all over the world?
Old 07-20-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Here's hoping for IME on all the Harry Potter films...that would help make up for the lack of actual supplements (aside from deleted scenes and the occasional fluffy making-ofs) on the DVD counterparts.
I'm hoping this too. Its a good chance 4 will because it does in the UK,and hopefully they don't screw us over with that,and hopefully that means they did for 1-2-3-5 also.
Old 07-20-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by issues
Then just buy a multi-region player. How could you miss out on all the cool sets from all over the world?
I do have a region-free player, and I do buy cool sets once in a while. However, some of the most amazing releases are extremely expensive (Alien Head set, for example.) If they would release the same version here in North America, it may still be expensive, but it would be a reasonable price (i.e. Planet of the Apes set).

To add to the mix, I am strictly HD now for anything but older/non widescreen TV shows, so here's also hoping there will be the briefcase release for HD also.

It's getting equally as maddening not being able to get these same packaging/extra schemes in HD. Like the new 300 release with the mask. I would be almost certain that the steelbook releases that they have now will not be steelbook releases when the come out on HD. But I digress....
Old 07-22-07, 07:54 AM

I don't get the HP box set release. Why release a set of 5 movies out of the eventual 7? Just seems like a money grab unless the box in question at least has 2 free spots or something.

I'll grab them for my wife when they are individual releases.
Old 07-22-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cemetery Man
I don't get the HP box set release. Why release a set of 5 movies out of the eventual 7? Just seems like a money grab unless the box in question at least has 2 free spots or something.

I'll grab them for my wife when they are individual releases.
I don't get it either, but they do it all the time. Harry Potter movies have even been released in a box before (the first three IIRC).

WRT steelbooks, it may just be that no company has come up with a steelbook in the BD/HD DVD shape yet, and they don't want to release an HD title in the DVD shape. I don't think the studios just do them on their own, do they? Don't they use an existing design?
Old 07-22-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Harry Potter box is being released as such because, quite simply, people would whine if there was no box before Holiday 2010 (which is about when Movie 7 would be released on DVD/HDDVD/Blu Ray/etc.)
Old 07-22-07, 04:55 PM

The thing that makes me mad is you know theyre going to come out with a REALLY nice boxset for all 7 movies (like theyre doing next month for all 7 books). But alas ill probably end up buying the Years 1-5 box, I think I can justify a possible double dip with a 3 year gap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.