Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like Bram Stoker's Dracula is coming to BD this fall...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Looks like Bram Stoker's Dracula is coming to BD this fall...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that is damming evidence right there...but wait ALL prints prior to this release were wrong! Baloney.
Old 10-07-07, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by indiansbsa
So Green is not Drac's color. Hmm. How about this. Red represents Dracula alone, green represents Dracula with Mina. Outside of the green in the "you have never loved" scene, see the green mist later in the movie, the green light on Dracula while hanging from the Abbey when the vampire hunters came for him, just to name a few places to spot the new green motif with Dracula. Seems perfectly plausible to me that these color changes were made and/or restored from the master print for a damn good reason.
The green in the "You have never loved" scene was never seen by human eyes before this transfer. It's a purely electronic manipulation achieved by raising the yellow level and lowering the Technicolor blue without affecting the other colours. Dracula appears as green mist in the scene where he is stalking Mina and gets into bed with her. That mist was always green and it still is - Thank God!

Last edited by baracine; 10-07-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But that's not the argument we're getting...what we are getting are statements that the movie has been changed back to the way it ORIGINALLY appeared in theaters and anyone who disputes that this new version is the way the original theatrical prints looked is simply "remembering wrong".

To which I reply:
Spoiler:
Hogwash!

BTW, god bless Roger Ebert...here's a look at the original review of DRACULA, along with some clips from the original film - note the blue-lit bride sequence and how Ebert gives the movie thumbs-up because of its visual look:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...subsec=dracula
Shannon, the situation is much worse than that. Robert Harris has actually said that he doesn't give a hoot about the theatrical presentation (or our memories of it or any other video incarnation). He has said that the only thing that matters is the answer print - which we never saw and he doesn't say he saw - and the perfection of the new transfer - which we are ordered to take for granted.

The man has covered all his bases:

Bram Stoker's Dracula does not fully replicate the film image, and personally I don't care. (From: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...2&postcount=22 )
...and:

To Dave Mack...

1. The earlier SD and laserdisc releases were wrong. They were poorly mastered in HD, which is why we have a new master. Why was the Criterion laserdisc emblazoned with an "Approved" logo? Think studio politics.

2. The shots used in the documentary do not match. They are not supposed to match. They are there to do two things - allow a visual discussion of the fx, and to better match the rest of the documentary.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT TO DAVE MACK, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DAVE MACK, AND SHOULD ONLY BE READ BY DAVE MACK AT HIS PERIL:

As far as what something looked like when it played at one's local cinema in 1992...

One more time...

Local cinemas don't matter. They generally provide a visually corrupt image in terms of color, density, focus and content. On top of that, they generally run poor quality prints. Local cinemas are the worst places to attempt to judge film.

As to the Answer Print, it would be on LPP stock, and should not have changed, especially as vaulted.

Lastly, and for the very last time. Cease and desist from making comparisons to earlier versions which are a meaningless "reference" and a waste of one's time.

RAH
(From: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...2&postcount=49 )
The man is spouting more gibberish than a Republican senator caught with his pants down in an airport men's room.

Last edited by baracine; 10-07-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by baracine
Here are two other stills from the same batch:
it's noticable that in neither of these photos does lucy look blue. she's wearing a white dress as in the new transfer.

The man is spouting more gibberish than a Republican senator caught with his pants down in an airport men's room.
pointless insults asside, robert harris is entirely correct. forgetting for a second that nobody here can really remember what a film looked like in detail many years later, despite what they might like to believe... local cinemas are not a good place to view a film if you are looking to provide a definative view of that movie. the prints are often damaged and poorly handled and the equipment is genereally not properly calibrated.
Old 10-07-07, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
it's noticable that in neither of these photos does lucy look blue. she's wearing a white dress as in the new transfer.
So Lucy's dress is white now? I think you're making progress. You first said it was grey-white. I never said the dress was any colour other than white. I said it's a white dress backlit with blue light representing moonlight, as all the production stills attest. We can at least agree that it wasn't meant to look like the grey-brown piece of burned toast in the new transfer. And, frankly, if you can't see traces of blue lighting in those two stills, maybe we shouldn't be having a discussion about colour values in the first place.

pointless insults asside, robert harris is entirely correct. forgetting for a second that nobody here can really remember what a film looked like in detail many years later, despite what they might like to believe... local cinemas are not a good place to view a film if you are looking to provide a definative view of that movie. the prints are often damaged and poorly handled and the equipment is genereally not properly calibrated.
Listen, I remember how the film looked in its theatrical release and all the people opposed to this new transfer do also. The fact that one doesn't know something (a.k.a. ignorance) or that one doesn't remember something (a.k.a. amnesia) is no excuse for desacrating a work of art.

And what Harris says is that the original print is no reference, the original theatrical run is no reference, your memory of the original run is no reference, the multiple video incarnations are no reference... The only reference, according to Harris, is the answer print, which he has probably never seen, and his word for it that the video authors did a great job following that answer print.

Last edited by baracine; 10-07-07 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 02:30 PM

Local cinemas are the worst places to attempt to judge film.
So here's my question... if not the local multiplex, where else are we supposed to see our movies in theatrical release? I doubt that Francis Ford Coppola is going to start inviting his fans over to his screening room for a few looks at some of his movies. Was this guy high when he wrote this?
Old 10-07-07, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But that's not the argument we're getting...what we are getting are statements that the movie has been changed back to the way it ORIGINALLY appeared in theaters and anyone who disputes that this new version is the way the original theatrical prints looked is simply "remembering wrong".

To which I reply:
Spoiler:
Hogwash!
Shannon, I've said it before and I've said it again, I think it's ridiculous that people are saying that the film has always looked like this, but at the same time, this is how this transfer looks, and the color changes really aren't so bad. Despite what baracine would have you believe, it is not in fact "desecrating a work of art."
Old 10-07-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I said it before Francis Ford Coppola had enough pull in 1993 to tell somebody that the prints going to theaters were not his vision of the movie.

If it was an issue, he would have the prints pulled. What they did to this movie is turn it into somekind of Underworld look.

Give me back the colors please or at least put a disclaimer on the back of this box, that this movie is not what you saw in theaters.
Old 10-07-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't see the blue in those pictures??????
Old 10-07-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I looked at the Ebert video, and the bride scene doesn't look as blue on there as it does on the SB DVD. Just my opinion.
Old 10-07-07, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I looked at the Ebert video, and the bride scene doesn't look as blue on there as it does on the SB DVD. Just my opinion.
The screen caps posted by Davy Mack are in reality photographs of his TV monitor. They exaggerate the colour saturation. On my rear projection TV, in non-torch mode, the same scene from the Superbit edition is much more subdued but the blue is still the overriding colour.
Old 10-07-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The screen caps posted by Davy Mack are in reality photographs of his TV monitor. They exaggerate the colour saturation. On my rear projection TV, in non-torch mode, the same scene from the Superbit edition is much more subdued but the blue is still the overriding colour.
I wasn't comparing the Ebert video to Dave's screenshots. I've seen the SB DVD with my own eyes on my own ISF'd display. There's less blue in the Ebert video than on the SB DVD on my setup, which is calibrated by Avical.

I'm not stating anything about what's right or wrong. I'm simply noting my observations.
Old 11-26-07, 06:44 PM

These are direct screengrabs from Xylon at AVSforum of the SBdvd and the BD.

VERY dramatic difference in color.

Here you can clearly see the crushed blacks in this scene.

Here are xylon's shots made a bit smaller...

Just IMHO, the BD looks unnatural, processed, digital, flat and just bad.

I have a light cannon of a PJ, a mits hc3000 and turning up the "brightness" here, even all the way does not reveal the writing, it's just gone.
And what was confirmed was that a "REP" from Zoetrope relayed Coppolla's wishes for the tranfer to the people doing it. AFAIK, he himself was NOT there and didn't "personally" supervise it.

More caps here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=925329&page=7

Last edited by Davy Mack; 11-26-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Anyone find this in retail stores with the slip cover?
Old 11-26-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen this in a slipcase at retail since the first week or so it was released.
Old 11-26-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Anyone find this in retail stores with the slip cover?
I've seen it just recently at Best Buy and FYE with the cover.
Old 11-26-07, 10:46 PM
Dai

I bought my copy on release day and didn't get a slipcover, nor have I ever seen a copy of BSD with the slipcover!!
Old 11-27-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine at Best Buy with the slip cover... Got mine on the weekend after its release.
Old 11-27-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Didn't know there was a slipcover. Got mine at Frys, coverless.
Old 12-09-07, 03:31 AM

so who's skipping it and who's buying it?
Old 12-09-07, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is too funny. I hope Coppola doesn't take out all the amber tint in The Godfather movies though I wouldn't put it past him.
Old 12-09-07, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it on release-date from Amazon with slip-cover, but I have yet to really check this out... maybe over the holidays. I'm still holding onto my Superbit though lol.
Old 01-04-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a heads up I ordered this through Amazon and got it today in a nice shiny slipcover.
Old 09-15-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Looks like Bram Stoker's Dracula is coming to BD this fall...

My reply from last night seems to have been lost. So to keep it short.

I finally saw the blu-ray release of this film after avoiding it for years based on the supposed bad transfer. Don't let the rumors that people believe about this transfer being terrible keep you from viewing it yourself. Their is color in the film: blues,reds,orange/yellow, everything 'pops' when appropriate. It looks far more film like than the past dvd releases which people seem to prefer. So the color was not completely drained from the film, much to my surprise. It's an eye candy visual spectacle and actually made me a fan of the film again after being underwhelmed by the past dvd release and thinking maybe it's just a change of taste since I was a kid. But nope, the film's still an amazing visual piece and one of a kind.
Old 09-15-14, 11:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Looks like Bram Stoker's Dracula is coming to BD this fall...

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
My reply from last night seems to have been lost. So to keep it short.

I finally saw the blu-ray release of this film after avoiding it for years based on the supposed bad transfer. Don't let the rumors that people believe about this transfer being terrible keep you from viewing it yourself. Their is color in the film: blues,reds,orange/yellow, everything 'pops' when appropriate. It looks far more film like than the past dvd releases which people seem to prefer. So the color was not completely drained from the film, much to my surprise. It's an eye candy visual spectacle and actually made me a fan of the film again after being underwhelmed by the past dvd release and thinking maybe it's just a change of taste since I was a kid. But nope, the film's still an amazing visual piece and one of a kind.
the soundmix is no slouch either - when Dracula in bat form is stomping around the room - the bass has this great *whomp*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.