DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Anchor Bay/Starz goes Blu-Ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/504059-anchor-bay-starz-goes-blu-ray.html)

matome 06-19-07 02:12 PM

Anchor Bay/Starz goes Blu-Ray

Starz to go Blu

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10786

New Blu-ray Disc announcements from MGM at the Sixth Annual Home Entertainment Summit: DVD & Beyond in Century City, Calif., didn’t come as a huge surprise.

A new participant in the high-definition format war was unexpected, however.

Starz Home Entertainment President Bill Clark announced during an executive session with MGM VP of Marketing Julia Simmons that his company will release the first season of the company’s “Masters of Horror” collection on Blu-ray in the fourth quarter of this year. Other Starz catalogue titles also are in line for a Blu-ray release. The news came the same day that Blockbuster announced that Blu-ray would be the only high-definition disc available in some of its stores.

“If Blu-ray wins [the format war against HD DVD], all catalogue would go [Blu-ray], we’d hope,” Clark said.

MGM’s Simmons said another 10 to 12 titles are set for Blu-ray release within the next year, including The Sergio Leone Anthology (A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly/Duck, You Sucker).

SterlingBen 06-19-07 02:17 PM

too little too late

gimmepilotwings 06-19-07 02:20 PM

Wow, talk about a no shit sherlock quote.

“If Blu-ray wins [the format war against HD DVD], all catalogue would go [Blu-ray], we’d hope,” Clark said.

Hammer99 06-19-07 02:36 PM

I have no use for the Masters of Horror series, but there are a ton of Anchor Bay catalog titles I'd be interested in... and hurry up with those Leone's already!

gorgo99 06-19-07 02:46 PM

As an HD-DVD player owner with a bunch (40+) of Anchor Bay DVDs, ouch... that hurts.

Then again, I read that Weinstein now has the rights to Suspiria, and may be releasing that on HD-DVD... that's by far my most desired Anchor Bay title.

Rusty James 06-19-07 03:01 PM

They can stuff those lame and overpriced Masters of Horrors discs for all I care. But bring on the Leones!! Yeah baby!!! :johnwoo:

clckworang 06-19-07 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
As an HD-DVD player owner with a bunch (40+) of Anchor Bay DVDs, ouch... that hurts.

I hear you. I was thinking the same thing.

Supermallet 06-19-07 04:06 PM

Just give me Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2 in HD. I don't care which format.

Drexl 06-19-07 04:53 PM

I'll take Time Bandits and The Stunt Man, please.

cultshock 06-19-07 06:13 PM

I have a bunch of AB discs that I'd love to upgrade, but I'm not sure how many of those that Starz/AB still has the licences to (I think most of the Argento and Fulci stuff is gone, right?). How about the Romero films?

asianxcore 06-19-07 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
As an HD-DVD player owner with a bunch (40+) of Anchor Bay DVDs, ouch... that hurts

Same here.

I wonder how much of their Horror catalog they'll decide to go HD with.

tonyjg 06-20-07 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'll take Time Bandits and The Stunt Man, please.

what difference are you actually going to see with these two films in 'High Definition' ??? You'd be far better just to upscale them - as the print quality / stock wouldn't make much difference for HighDef.

Why is it that some people think that getting these older titles on 'HiDef' discs will result in some sort of 'breathtaking' remastered picture ?? (its not going to happen !!)

Supermallet 06-20-07 04:44 AM

Actually, that's a common fallacy that has been proven untrue time and again. Older films can and often do look fantastic in HD. Take a look at Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and The Searchers for some examples. Or, heck, even take a look at The Road Warrior. Film has more resolution than HD, so in theory any film can benefit greatly from an HD transfer.

Vipper II 06-20-07 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually, that's a common fallacy that has been proven untrue time and again. Older films can and often do look fantastic in HD. Take a look at Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and The Searchers for some examples. Or, heck, even take a look at The Road Warrior. Film has more resolution than HD, so in theory any film can benefit greatly from an HD transfer.

Perhaps, but I'd hardly put Anchor Bay in the same class as Warner Brothers when it comes to quality transfers.

Supermallet 06-20-07 06:19 AM

They haven't done any HD releases yet. We don't know how they'll look.

lotsofdvds 06-20-07 06:56 AM

*sigh*

Divorces, wrong formats... looking back on my life I can't seem to choose correctly for shit.

Bleddyn Williams 06-20-07 08:59 AM

I'm not blu yet - just HD DVD. While this is on one level a disappointment, looking at all those old favourites, I was thinking about how many times Anchor Bay had trotted out endless versions of Evil Dead, etc. How many times can you buy the bloody things? Also, how much better are some of these films going to look in HD?

Maybe by the time blu-ray offers a $250 or less player I might be interested in certain old favourites like "Dawn of the Dead," but UPGRADING "Masters of Horror"? Hell, no! Most of them weren't worth buying in the first place, to be honest.

TGM 06-20-07 09:37 AM

in a years time, both 1080 HDDVD and Blu-Ray players will be about $200-$250 bucks each, and we will all own both of them.

Drexl 06-20-07 11:34 AM

They haven't done any HD releases yet. We don't know how they'll look.

Yeah, I'd at least like to see them get released so I can decide if they're worth it. If I can find movies like Animal House and The Thing worth it in HD, those two should be good as well.

dkny75 06-20-07 01:18 PM

Well for those of you looking for those MGM titles I think you're out of luck. The article has been edited and the last paragraph has been taken down.

"UPDATE: (06/19/07) We've received word directly from MGM late this afternoon that the Home Media Retailing article referenced in this story was erroneous, and that the studio has not announced any new Blu-ray titles for this year. Home Media Retailing has also since removed the text pertaining to the MGM titles from their original story.

We'll keep you posted on any further developments in this story as it progresses, as well as any future Blu-ray announcements from MGM when they are officially confirmed."

Drexl 06-20-07 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dkny75
Well for those of you looking for those MGM titles I think you're out of luck. The article has been edited and the last paragraph has been taken down.

I didn't pay much attention to that. Fox distributes their titles, so they would probably be making the announcements. I don't even see why they bothered to retract something as vague and subject to change as "within the next year" anyway.

jiggawhat 06-20-07 05:35 PM

It's too bad that the studios with the exception of Warner are unwilling to spend their money to take care and remaster their older films.

Supermallet 06-20-07 06:11 PM

Dune got an excellent high def remaster from Universal. Adam was pleasantly surprised by the image on Trading Places from Paramount. Casno from Universal looked amazing, etc. etc. It's not just Warner.

captainjoe 06-20-07 06:34 PM

I support both formats but I've always enjoyed HD-DVD better for different reasons so I'd rather have Anchorbay join HD-DVD but something is better than nothing I guess. I can't wait to have Halloween and Dawn of the Dead (1978) in high definition!

Hammer99 06-20-07 07:00 PM

Dune got an excellent high def remaster from Universal. Adam was pleasantly surprised by the image on Trading Places from Paramount. Casno from Universal looked amazing, etc. etc. It's not just Warner.

Just saw Trading Places the other night, it does look outstanding.