DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   HD-A2 for $199.99 at Crutchfield (deal dead) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/503102-hd-a2-%24199-99-crutchfield-deal-dead.html)

TheKobra 06-10-07 11:01 AM

HD-A2 for $199.99 at Crutchfield (deal dead)

This is not a price mistake (i believe). I was over at crutchfield this morning and found it HERE So those who missed out on the Amazon $233.00 its time to jump in!

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 11:13 AM

I have had my A2 for all of two days and I have already overpaid $27.:lol: I'm going to order this(Crutchfield is a very reputable dealer) anyway and I'll consider returning my first one to Amazon. Thanks for the heads-up!

Josh Z 06-10-07 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I have had my A2 for all of two days and I have already overpaid $27.:lol: I'm going to order this(Crutchfield is a very reputable dealer) anyway and I'll consider returning my first one to Amazon. Thanks for the heads-up!

Is $27 really worth that hassle? Remember that you're going to have to pay for postage to return it to Amazon if it's not defective.

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Is $27 really worth that hassle? Remember that you're going to have to pay for postage to return it to Amazon if it's not defective.

Oh, it'll be defective if I return it to Amazon.;) I'll probalby keep the one that I already have and give the Crutchfield one as a gift.

Hammer99 06-10-07 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z

That is such a great point. I try not to buy anything high-end on-line even if I have to pay quite a bit more for it, just because shipping back defective product + waiting for it to return is such a royal pain IMO. It KILLED me last year to buy my projector, screen, and 20g PS3 thru the Net cause I couldn't find them local... first time I've ever done that, been lucky so far (knock on wood).

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
That is such a great point. I try not to buy anything high-end on-line even if I have to pay quite a bit more for it, just because shipping back defective product + waiting for it to return is such a royal pain IMO. It KILLED me last year to buy my projector, screen, and 20g PS3 thru the Net cause I couldn't find them local... first time I've ever done that, been lucky so far (knock on wood).

I would typically agree. However, Amazon is great regarding returns(that's why I bought the A2 from them in the first place). They will pay for return shipping if the product is defective and they are very prompt about issuing refunds. I received a defective 27" Sony Wega from them about 7 years ago and the return process couldn't have gone any smoother.

chrisih8u 06-10-07 11:40 AM

Temporarily out of stock.

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 11:56 AM

PA145 will give you free shipping. It's supposed to be for AMEX cards, but I think that it will work with any credit card.

JackBurton 06-10-07 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Temporarily out of stock.

ETA: 6/26/2007

Excellent price on this. Plus the 5 free discs makes this very tempting. Although I already have the 360 add on and I'm really holding out for one that has 5.1 outputs for an upgrade.

broadwayblue 06-10-07 12:11 PM

Great deal indeed. I was just coming to post the deal here but I see Kobra beat me by an hour. At this price I'm thinking about buying a couple for gifts...My amazon order for $237.88 just got delivered two days ago.

Just Lurking 06-10-07 12:48 PM

Well its been a great weekend. I bought 65Hm167 for $1499 at nfm.com on Saturday to be delivered 06/23. Now I can move 34xbr800 and Hd-a1 into the bedrooom with this deal. Only sad thing is that Crutchfield says unknown shipment date instead of JackBurton's 06/26 date.

Seriously, what is up with Crutchfield. I would have expected $799 MSRP with discounted $499 everyday price.

Off to decide on my 5 free movies.

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 12:53 PM

Anyone that is thinking about jumping into the HD-DVD pool, this is a no-brainer. Crutchfield is very reliable and they offer a risk free 30 day in-home audition. If you're not satisfied with your purchase, they will give you a full refund if you return it within 30 days. They will even pay for return shipping(even if it's not defective) and there are no restocking fees.:up:

Paul Arnette 06-10-07 01:56 PM

Hmmm. I am seriously considering adding this player to our family room setup, as we're in the market for an upconverting DVD player for the 720p plasma there anyway. Sucks that I get charged sales tax, but $220.98 is still a good deal, I take it?

Lord Rick 06-10-07 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Hmmm. I am seriously considering adding this player to our family room setup, as we're in the market for an upconverting DVD player for the 720p plasma there anyway. Sucks that I get charged sales tax, but $220.98 is still a good deal, I take it?

Don't forget:

"PA145 will give you free shipping. It's supposed to be for AMEX cards, but I think that it will work with any credit card."

68ShelbyGT500KR 06-10-07 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Don't forget:

"PA145 will give you free shipping. It's supposed to be for AMEX cards, but I think that it will work with any credit card."

I tested both my Visa and MC and the code works.

Also, If you use a Citi Card that uses the Citi Bonus Cash Center, use that link instead of directly to Crutchfield.com. This is worth 3% Cash Back (~$6.00).

FW also offers 3% cash back.

davidlynchfan 06-10-07 03:37 PM

I remember paying $470.00 for this puppy back in December. :lol:

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I remember paying $470.00 for this puppy back in December. :lol:

I applaud your good attitude. Most people would have gone with :mad: instead of :lol:.

fryinpan1 06-10-07 04:48 PM

I paid $450 for the HD-A2 back in December. Even though I could have saved a few hundred dollars by waiting, I do not regret the purchase one bit. Enjoying upconverted DVDs and HD DVDs for an extra six months has been worth it to me.

Paul Arnette 06-10-07 05:33 PM

Don't forget:

Thanks, Lord Rick. I totally forgot about that. It isn't just for AMEX cards according to a coupon site I found online. Fortunately, Crutchfield's has about the greatest customer service on Earth, and it was a breeze getting the coupon applied retroactively.

Thanks again.

Just Lurking 06-10-07 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I tested both my Visa and MC and the code works.

Also, If you use a Citi Card that uses the Citi Bonus Cash Center, use that link instead of directly to Crutchfield.com. This is worth 3% Cash Back (~$6.00).

FW also offers 3% cash back.

If your MyPoints user, they give 2 points per dollar spent.

Lord Rick 06-10-07 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Thanks, Lord Rick. I totally forgot about that. It isn't just for AMEX cards according to a coupon site I found online. Fortunately, Crutchfield's has about the greatest customer service on Earth, and it was a breeze getting the coupon applied retroactively.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Hey, I was just quoting Sweet Baby James' post from earlier in the thread. I wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on that info. Glad you got in on the deal!

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 06:26 PM

Thanks for the shout out, Lord Rick! I just got it for $192.97 shipped. I ordered it for $199.99 and got a two pack of AA batteries for $1.99 to push the order over $200. I then used a referral code from some kind soul at FW(actually, he'll get a $20 credit off of his next order for the referral) which takes $20 off of the total. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me combine it with the free shipping(I tried), so I have to pay the $10.99 shipping fee. I know that prices are dropping, but for under $200 for a quality player with 5 HD-DVDs to boot is pretty damn sweet.

DrPrimo 06-10-07 06:48 PM

Anybody have a referral code they want to share?

Shazam 06-10-07 06:49 PM

Jebus Christ. Where's a border runner when I need one?

Sweet Baby James 06-10-07 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrPrimo
Anybody have a referral code they want to share?

YGM!:)

FantasticVSDoom 06-10-07 07:47 PM

Damn... If I wouldnt have just replaced my Ipod with a 30gb one and bought a new cell phone at full price since my fucking dog ate my brand new one, I would be all over this. Hell, I still might. Now if I can just get the dog to chew up my A1.

Damed 06-10-07 10:34 PM

You snooze, you lose. Back up to $299.

Congrats to those who got in on the great deal.

jiggawhat 06-10-07 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Damed

I think by fall of this year, these prices will be the norm for these players if not sooner.

mather 06-10-07 10:49 PM

Damn me for having a life on the weekends, missed this great deal, wasn't going to get into the HD/Bluray battle but this would have tipped me over.

Just Lurking 06-10-07 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by mather
Damn me for having a life on the weekends, missed this great deal, wasn't going to get into the HD/Bluray battle but this would have tipped me over.

Life. It rained heavily here today so I surfed DVDTalk and watched movies on my A1. I was purchased the A2 only 45 minutes after the OP and I have an undtermined ship date instead of 06/26. Atleast I got in on it. Hope they don not cancel any orders for a pricing error.

chrisih8u 06-11-07 12:02 AM

So was this a one day only sale or a price mistake? Im kind of expecing to have my order cancelled.

The Bus 06-11-07 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
So was this a one day only sale or a price mistake? Im kind of expecing to have my order cancelled.

Not a price mistake. I remember the price saying ($100 Crutchfield instant rebate).

Jericho 06-11-07 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Not a price mistake. I remember the price saying ($100 Crutchfield instant rebate).

There might have been an error elsewhere. For example, the price said $499 MSRP, $200 savings, $100 crutchfield rebate. Maybe the $200 savings was supposed to include the instant rebate?

Jray 06-11-07 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Damed

Damnit! I had finally reached my tipping point. I was "all in" after reading the first post in this thread until I read this post. I always miss the deals too :(.

Now back to my previous spot on the fence...

Damed 06-12-07 09:49 PM

Someone at AVS called Customer Support to find out details on their order.

Apparently is *WAS* a price mistake, but they are going to honor all units sold at the incorrect price. Apparently the CS stated that they sold over 600 players before catching on to the mistake.

cornflakeguy 06-12-07 10:25 PM

Probably supposed to BE $299 AFTER the included $100 instant rebate.

Instead the staffer just entered the price as $299, and the already entered $100 rebate took over and made it $199.99.

DANG I wish I caught this.

Acting Up 06-13-07 05:28 AM

now I'm wondering...If I were to get this would it be better for HD DVD movies than the 360 ADD ON?

clappj 06-13-07 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Acting Up
now I'm wondering...If I were to get this would it be better for HD DVD movies than the 360 ADD ON?

It will likely look, and more than likely sound better than the 360 Add-On.
What it most certainly do though, is cause less overall wear and tear on your 360.
Since I've started watching a lot of HD-DVDs lately, I decided to take the plunge on the A2.
I've already had to send my 360 back for repair once, and would like to postpone that happening again as long as possible. :)

Ianscloset 06-13-07 12:48 PM

I managed to get it for $219 after tax and 3-day shipping... I have the Add-On but like clappj mentioned... I try to avoid doing as much damage as possible to my 360. The only issue with my order is that it says its out of stock... so as long as I get it before the 5 Free HD-DVD's offer expires Im happy.

Just Lurking 06-18-07 11:05 PM

Crutchfield website shows HD-A2 in stock now. My order still showing 100% backorder. Anybody have their order status change yet?