Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION New Toshiba HD DVD Buyers: Buy your cables from monoprice.com

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

ATTENTION New Toshiba HD DVD Buyers: Buy your cables from monoprice.com

Old 07-15-07, 09:12 PM
  #101  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpgator
If your cables are better, please explain why. And I don't want to hear any more about "MIL-STD" - just a real world explaination(sic).
The short answer is "process control." The fact that you don't want to hear any more about manufacturing standards answers any remaining questions I might have about where you are coming from. I'm out.
Old 07-15-07, 09:23 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viking99
The short answer is "process control." The fact that you don't want to hear any more about manufacturing standards answers any remaining questions I might have about where you are coming from. I'm out.
What is wrong is the process control for monoprice cables? Do you know anything about it. That fact is you are just talking out of your ass and don't know anything at all about the cables. You can't say what is wrong with them or why they are any wrose then they cables you use. You just see the price and assume they are not good. Like I said earlier, you are the type of customer that Monster drools over. Just like some believe that Monster must be good because of the high prices, others think monoprice must be bad because of the low price. I am sure if monoprice charged $50 a cable, you wouldn't say anthing bad about them.
Old 07-15-07, 10:16 PM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpgator
That fact is you are just talking out of your ass and don't know anything at all about the cables.
Yep. I've mentioned industry standards, military standards and process variables with respect to crimping and soldering processes. I've referred to simple continuity and isolation testing in contrast to the long term reliability advantages introduced by robust process controls based upon adhearance to recognized manufacturing standards. I must have made all that stuff up. Monoprice rules!!!
Old 07-16-07, 12:17 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,576
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My whole HT is practically wired in Monoprice now. I've went through their s-video, optical, coaxial audio, 40-ft component cables, and now their 24awg 30 ft HDMI.

Until someone shows in a DBT that cables matter (and most scientific tests have shown people can't tell any difference between decent properly constructed cables of many sorts), they fall into the same snake oil category as silver cables and astrology - very highly unlikely.
Old 07-16-07, 08:47 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Until someone shows in a DBT that cables matter (and most scientific tests have shown people can't tell any difference between decent properly constructed cables of many sorts), they fall into the same snake oil category as silver cables and astrology - very highly unlikely.
Exactly. I will trust real life experiences over someone throwing around military standards and process variables. Nothing against the naysayers though, as I used to be just like them.
Old 07-16-07, 02:54 PM
  #106  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viking99
Yep. I've mentioned industry standards, military standards and process variables with respect to crimping and soldering processes. I've referred to simple continuity and isolation testing in contrast to the long term reliability advantages introduced by robust process controls based upon adhearance to recognized manufacturing standards. I must have made all that stuff up. Monoprice rules!!!
I don't think anyone said that you made that stuff up, but what was pointed out was what do you know about Monoprice's process control. Have you done anything to prove that it is inferior to the process control of other cable manufacturer's? Your response and the use of acronyms comes across as someone trying to use their knowledge as a deterrent to real discussion.
Old 07-16-07, 10:18 PM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgoblue7
I don't think anyone said that you made that stuff up,
You're correct, nobody said I made stuff up. Instead it was stated "That (sic) fact is you are just talking out of your ass and don't know anything at all about the cables." At that point it became pretty obvious the type of person I was conversing with.

Originally Posted by mgoblue7
Have you done anything to prove that it is inferior to the process control of other cable manufacturer's?
Of course not, and I never suggested that I had any hard facts and data. Neither do those on the other side of this (or most) internet debates (unless they happened to work at the fabrication facility personally). The premise of this entire thread was that new purchasers should buy their cables from monoprice.com. Instead of accusing the OP of "talking out of a body part," I simply stated that "While I think BB/Monster deserves all the negative comments that they get, I don't necessarily support the OP's implication that Monoprice is the way to go. I don't want cheap cables, I want quality cables at reasonable prices." When questioned, my second post stated that "Since monoprice's cables are routinely praised on the forums, I have little doubt that they are generally a good value. My point was that there are a lot of options between "cheapest available" and Monster."

Many things were subsequently suggested to me about monoprice, my knowledge (or lack thereof), the intelligence and knowledge of participants at the AVS forum and, finally, that I was speaking from a strange place and knew nothing about cables. I guess I should admit that it was largely the entertainment value at that point that kept me involved. That, and a continuing desire to help newbies understand that all cables are not created equal.

Originally Posted by mgoblue7
Your response and the use of acronyms comes across as someone trying to use their knowledge as a deterrent to real discussion.
I checked and it looks like I did use a single acronym (C/I) without first spelling it out. I mistakenly assumed that people close to electronics understood what "continuity and issolation" testing was. It's a simple way of referring to a circuit that has electrical continuity where it should (i.e. from pin to pin) and has issolation elsewhere (i.e. there are no shorts). Unfortunately, there are still manufacturers out there that ignore robust process controls and use limited C/I testing to insure only initial "out of the box" performance.
Old 07-16-07, 11:48 PM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a 25' component video cable from Monoprice and have been very happy with it. I have an Xbox 360 that I would like to run a VGA cable out of to my projector (for 1080p). Can anyone recommend a Monoprice cable that would work, or is the Xbox connection proprietary? Possibly some sort of VGA cable extender? I need about a 20' to 25' cable.

--John

Last edited by JSwarce; 07-17-07 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-17-07, 10:02 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viking99
You're correct, nobody said I made stuff up. Instead it was stated "That (sic) fact is you are just talking out of your ass and don't know anything at all about the cables." At that point it became pretty obvious the type of person I was conversing with.
Correct. I said you don’t know anything about “the” cables.

Originally Posted by viking99
Of course not, and I never suggested that I had any hard facts and data.
And apparently I was correct.

I think those reading your comments regarding Monoprice cables should know that you actually know nothing about them.

Originally Posted by viking99
Neither do those on the other side of this (or most) internet debates (unless they happened to work at the fabrication facility personally).
Wrong again. I, and many others here do have data and facts about the cables – because we have actually used them. I can discuss quality and performance of the cables because I have first hand experience with them – you have none.

Originally Posted by viking99
I don't want cheap cables, I want quality cables at reasonable prices."
From my experience, they are not cheap cables - they are high quality and inexpensive.

Originally Posted by viking99
Many things were subsequently suggested to me about monoprice, my knowledge (or lack thereof), the intelligence and knowledge of participants at the AVS forum
I don’t believe anyone has questioned the knowledge of the AVS participants – in fact (though you choose not to link them) there are many threads at AVS praising monoprice for their quality and price.

Originally Posted by viking99
and, finally, that I was speaking from a strange place and knew nothing about cables. I guess I should admit that it was largely the entertainment value at that point that kept me involved. That, and a continuing desire to help newbies understand that all cables are not created equal.
Since this thread is about Monoprice cables, what exactly have you taught these newbies about their cables? Nothing. If someone didn’t already know that not all cables are created equally, I supposed they know that now. While you can’t related anything you have said to Monoprice, I will agree that it has at least been entertaining.

Last edited by cpgator; 07-17-07 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 09:36 AM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, this is the HDMI cable I purchased: http://www.scpcat5e.com/accessories/hdmicables.php <----Part No. 944-6

I wanted to order from Monoprice but I'm trying not to use my credit card until I have my balance back to zero and I didn't want to wait for the cable to arrive. I'm very happy with the cable I purchased, however.
Old 07-19-07, 10:16 AM
  #111  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is nice that there's a reasonable quality site out there for cables at a good price. Monster cables that you find in places like Best Buy are priced to rediculous amounts. It's too bad they don't offer cheapy cables at these kinds of retail markets.

Fortunately I get out of buying an HDMI cable though, I'm just using the cable that came with my Oppo and it works well. If I ever need more cables, I'll go through monoprice.
Old 07-24-07, 08:38 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 16,465
Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts
I have a quick HDMI question. My surround sound receiver is loaded with component in's, but no HDMI.

The TV has 1 HDMI in though.

If I use HDMI on my HD-A2, would I still be able to run audio through the current optical cable, into the surround sound? Or would the HDMI cancel that out, and output through the normal TV speakers?
Old 07-24-07, 08:45 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 25,832
Received 974 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
If I use HDMI on my HD-A2, would I still be able to run audio through the current optical cable, into the surround sound?
Yes.
Old 07-24-07, 10:20 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 16,465
Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yes.
Awesome! Guess I need to check Mono for a good price. Any quick recommendations?
Old 07-24-07, 10:27 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,294
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Awesome! Guess I need to check Mono for a good price. Any quick recommendations?
Whatever length you need. They will all work and sound the same.
Old 08-13-07, 05:26 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,927
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I finally convert my parents to HD discs. My dad just picked up a sony 70" 1080p but didn't have any HD content for him and wasn't too crazy about the format war. But I finally talked him into it.

he gets an XA2 at CC since it's on sale for $649. He wants some movies that are only on Blu Ray so he decides to get a BR player too. I ask him to use my reward zone card so I can get some points.

I just checked my statement and it says:

1 BDP-94HD BLURAY/CD PLAYER 999.98
2 8' M1000 HDMI CABLE 439.98

WOW, just wow. The damn salesman talked him into getting $220 HDMI cables. I'm just speechless. He told him he NEEDED this cable to get the most out of his brand new player of course.

I want to order him some $20 monoprice cables and have him return those. That markup is insane. Does anyone know of a website that compares "cheap" generic cables to these so-called "premium" cables cause he doesn't want to listen to me when I tell him he doesn't need it. Even the custom home theater installers (not best buy) he's using to install a bunch of this stuff (he got speakers and a receiver and other crap too) tell him he needs premium cables. They say shit like how are you going to spend over $20k on your home theater and use cheap cables.
Even though it's a small % of what everything costs, I still can't help but try to do my part to stop these insane markups,
Old 08-13-07, 05:46 PM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nunya
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to order him some $20 monoprice cables and have him return those. That markup is insane. Does anyone know of a website that compares "cheap" generic cables to these so-called "premium" cables cause he doesn't want to listen to me when I tell him he doesn't need it.
You have dozens of people here telling u it doesnt make a difference. Since he's got so much money to spend, tell him to buy BOTH.. and if he doesnt see a difference, then return the monsterously overpriced cables.
Old 08-13-07, 06:56 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie

WOW, just wow. The damn salesman talked him into getting $220 HDMI cables. I'm just speechless. He told him he NEEDED this cable to get the most out of his brand new player of course.
For that kind of scratch, the salesman should have given him a happy ending!
Old 08-13-07, 07:01 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
sumdeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
WOW, just wow. The damn salesman talked him into getting $220 HDMI cables. I'm just speechless. He told him he NEEDED this cable to get the most out of his brand new player of course.
That hurts just reading your post! I'm a very bad shopper in the sense that if I buy a DVD and find it $1 or $2 cheaper the next day I'll either get really upset if I can't return (like an online purchase with a bad return policy) or I'll return it for a price correction or just return it completely and buy it cheaper elsewhere assuming the gas miles aren't going to cost me more to do this I'm sure I'm not alone given the website I am posting at. So, seeing this post made me want to cry, literally. Taking advantage of older people with little knowledge of the options available really bothers me. I'm also shocked that HDMI cables exist for $220 A PIECE when I got all of mine for under $40 combined and great results (monoprice of course)!
Old 08-13-07, 09:14 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,927
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea it hurts me too. He won't return them, either. It's like he doesnt care. He spent almost double what I did on my brand new car for his TV so the money doesnt really matter (i think it matters more to me and it's not even my $--go figure), but that's not the point. He wouldn't get a PS3 because it's a game machine and bought that blu ray player for $1000, which I think is pretty dumb too but I can kind of see that because the PS3 is kind of awkward to use with the interface and stupid bluetooth remote.
I think I'm going to buy some monoprice cables, go over there and switch them out one day when he's at work and not tell him about it for a month and see if he says anything. Maybe that's being a little extreme, but actually sounds like kind of a fun experiment to me for some reason.

$220 for 8 FEET HDMI cables is just robbery I think.
Old 08-13-07, 10:04 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
yea it hurts me too. He won't return them, either. It's like he doesnt care.
My old man is the exact same way. He bought some piece of shit Bose boom box for over a grand about 10 years ago. I begged him to return it and he just would not do it. I told him that he could get so much better sound for that money and he responded that the Bose was good enough for him. I told him that if that quality of sound was good enough, then he could attain it for $1000 less. He wouldn't budge. It was almost like he thought that I was dissing his decision(which I was). That damn Bose is now a dust collector!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.