Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Toshiba have 3 HD-DVD players?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry but this confuses me. The naming convention is too similar.

HD-A2 (1080i) $2xx
HD-A20 (1080p) $3xx
HD-XA2 (1080p) $5xx

Also, I find it baffling that Toshiba still doesn't support DVD+R. Especially since Sony DVD players support Toshiba's DVD-R format.
Old 05-30-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jamers
I'm sorry but this confuses me. The naming convention is too similar.

HD-A2 (1080i) $2xx
HD-A20 (1080p) $3xx
HD-XA2 (1080p) $5xx

Also, I find it baffling that Toshiba still doesn't support DVD+R. Especially since Sony DVD players support Toshiba's DVD-R format.

Seriously? Each model offers different features at a different price point.

To the best of my knowledge I've never had a problem playing a DVD+R in my HD-A1.
Old 05-30-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you find this confusing, try shopping for a digital camera.
Old 05-30-07, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
really the question should be: why are there only Toshiba HD-DVD players out in the market at the moment?
Old 05-30-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
really the question should be: why are there only Toshiba HD-DVD players out in the market at the moment?
You got that right.
Old 05-30-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
There's the RCA player...

My HD-A1 plays DVD?Rs. I put in a ? because I don't remember what kind it was. It was whatever dfnyc sent me the trailers on.

The HD-A2 and the HD-A20 will work best for 90% of people. If you like high-end HT stuff, then the HD-XA2 might have features you like.

But Giles does bring up a very good question.
Old 05-30-07, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Because there is no other manufacturer (besides the 360 addon) who could even come close to selling them at $249.
Old 05-30-07, 03:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus

My HD-A1 plays DVD?Rs. I put in a ? because I don't remember what kind it was. It was whatever dfnyc sent me the trailers on.
I myself have authored HD content on DVD-R that worked perfectly and in HD on my HD-A1.
Old 05-30-07, 03:28 PM

Because there is no other manufacturer (besides the 360 addon) who could even come close to selling them at $249.
And this is the double-edged sword of low pricing, consumers don't have a choice and it gives the appearance of no support.
Old 05-30-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
And this is the double-edged sword of low pricing, consumers don't have a choice and it gives the appearance of no support.
Most consumers don't care about the appearance of "support". They care about how much they have to pay to get what they want. The only people who care about the appearance of support are those who spend too much time in discussion forums like this.
Old 05-30-07, 10:20 PM

They care about how much they have to pay to get what they want.
But before they can arrive at 'what they want', you're telling me that someone who is trying to determine which format to invest in for the long-term is going to ignore 'support' whether it is actual or perceived? I doubt it.
Old 05-30-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
But before they can arrive at 'what they want', you're telling me that someone who is trying to determine which format to invest in for the long-term is going to ignore 'support' whether it is actual or perceived? I doubt it.

Yes, normal people go into a store and buy stuff without doing a great deal of research like the people in this forum. If they see an ad saying cheap HD DVD player plus free HD DVD they are going to consider buying it (if it is something that interest them). They are not going to go, huh, I wonder who else makes players. If they notice BD they may ask the difference, but when they hear the price they will probably be turned off because it is so much higher than HD DVD. Most of us are well educated in the CE and Studio and still have purchased plenty of HD DVD. I don't think having one main manufacturer has been a big setback. Especially since they are giving a full product line (entry, middle of the road and upper end). There are 3 current HD DVD players to choose from and only really about 6 BD players to choose from and all of them are about the same cost wise except for the PS3.
Old 05-31-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I myself have authored HD content on DVD-R that worked perfectly and in HD on my HD-A1.
Not to hijack, but what did you use to author it?
Old 05-31-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Now that's a question worth asking? :nod:

Originally Posted by The Bus
There's the RCA player...
There's not such thing.
Old 05-31-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
If you find this confusing, try shopping for a digital camera.
I hear that
Old 05-31-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
Yes, normal people go into a store and buy stuff without doing a great deal of research like the people in this forum. If they see an ad saying cheap HD DVD player plus free HD DVD they are going to consider buying it (if it is something that interest them). They are not going to go, huh, I wonder who else makes players. If they notice BD they may ask the difference, but when they hear the price they will probably be turned off because it is so much higher than HD DVD. Most of us are well educated in the CE and Studio and still have purchased plenty of HD DVD. I don't think having one main manufacturer has been a big setback. Especially since they are giving a full product line (entry, middle of the road and upper end). There are 3 current HD DVD players to choose from and only really about 6 BD players to choose from and all of them are about the same cost wise except for the PS3.
Speedway is dead on here. HD DVD is much close to the "impulse" purchase than any flavor of BD is.
Old 05-31-07, 12:23 PM

Speedway is dead on here. HD DVD is much close to the "impulse" purchase than any flavor of BD is.
It may be closer, but I doubt either next-gen home video format is an 'impulse' buy for the average consumer.
Old 05-31-07, 12:47 PM

Same could have been said of DVD right before it exploded.

$300 is the sweet spot for an impulse buy.
Old 05-31-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyray
Most of us are well educated in the CE and Studio and still have purchased plenty of HD DVD.
What does this mean?
Old 06-01-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Same could have been said of DVD right before it exploded.

$300 is the sweet spot for an impulse buy.
And it was accurate back then, just as it is now. I think you mean $300 is the maximum for an impulse buy. Sweet spot is around $20.
Old 06-01-07, 09:21 AM

Point taken.
Old 06-01-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With this pricing, I am seriously considering a purchase, however, the actual price of the titles and the fact that there are two formats is still making me pause.
Old 06-01-07, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by shumway
With this pricing, I am seriously considering a purchase, however, the actual price of the titles and the fact that there are two formats is still making me pause.
With Google Checkout, I am buying my titles for around $10 a pop. I'm sure the resale value is more than that. This is the time for me. D2 will be in my hands tonight.
Old 06-01-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway

I'm sure Netflix would satisfy you until prices go down. I only buy movies with high replay value. The rest I rent.
Old 06-01-07, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Most consumers don't care about the appearance of "support". They care about how much they have to pay to get what they want. The only people who care about the appearance of support are those who spend too much time in discussion forums like this.
I don't believe this at all. I know too many people who will not buy into either format, even at $250, because they are afraid of CE and/or studio support going away if one format "wins".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.