DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Which 5 Free HD-DVD's to choose (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/501513-5-free-hd-dvds-choose.html)

Th0r S1mpson 05-27-07 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
^^ Four Brothers is a pretty decent flick... but, doesn't necessarily scream "you must watch me in HD!"

Good. Maybe I won't have to sell it right away then. :)

From the review on this site, the HD video quality of it is spot on.

Pillowhead 05-27-07 12:57 PM

I picked:

Apollo 13 (don't have on regular dvd)
Casablanca (never seen it)
Sky Captain (looks pretty in regular DVD)
Rattle and Hum (I love U2)
Perfect Storm (best one from group E)

gorgo99 05-27-07 01:12 PM

A: Chronicles of Riddick -- I'd want this anyway. It's the director's cut, which is WAY better than the pretty but "meh" theatrical cut
B: Casablanca -- I'm kinda interested in Constantine, but I've never seen Casablanca, it's legendary, and I like classics that are HD-ified.
C: Four Brothers -- sounds like I'd watch it once and then sell it. Nothing else in Cat C looked interesting.
D: Blazing Saddles -- fun movie, don't think I'd buy it in HD, but I'd certainly take it and keep it for free.
E: I have no interest in any of them, the only one I liked was We Were Soldiers. It's a great war movie, but I'd never watch it again because it was so painful. So, I guess I'd get U-571, since it's the only one I haven't seen. Perfect Storm was lame. I'm sure I'd watch U-571 and then sell it.

kenbuzz 05-27-07 10:17 PM

I borrowed Seabiscuit from the library tonight (SD of course). Pretty picture, but I'm having a hard time getting into the story. Arrgh, this makes Category A really difficult:

Apollo 13 - Do I double dip, even if the HD version isn't that significantly better than SD?

Seabiscuit - Is getting a beautiful movie reason enough to get it on HD, even if you (apparently) don't care about the story line?

Riddick - Meh. No interest.

Spiderbite 05-28-07 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I borrowed Seabiscuit from the library tonight (SD of course). Pretty picture, but I'm having a hard time getting into the story. Arrgh, this makes Category A really difficult:

Apollo 13 - Do I double dip, even if the HD version isn't that significantly better than SD?

Seabiscuit - Is getting a beautiful movie reason enough to get it on HD, even if you (apparently) don't care about the story line?

Riddick - Meh. No interest.

Get Apollo 13.

No movie is worth having if you don't want to watch it.

maingon 05-28-07 02:57 PM

four brothers is a good flick.

gongon78 05-29-07 05:41 PM

I'm having a tough time picking some of them because of how bad some of the available choices are. I did narrow it down to these:

A - Apollo 13, but now reconsidering Seabiscuit
B - Casablanca, because I already have Constantine
C - Sky Captain. Never saw 4 Bros, and most say TR isn't worth it
D - Torn between Rundown and Blazing Saddles
E - Maybe U-571, but could change to Soldiers

Good Luck!

jigga6286 05-29-07 05:45 PM

So does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should wait until the next offer (if there even is one)? And, if there is a new offer once this one expires, will a player that I just bought be honored despite it being purchased during this offer?

kenbuzz 05-29-07 09:15 PM

Finally settled:

A - Apollo 13. Riddick doesn't interest me, Seabiscuit, tho pretty, bored me.
B - Casablanca. The only slam-dunk here.
C - Tomb Raider. I wish Sky Captain had won, but with the HD version marginally better than the SD version, I couldn't justify the double dip. I watched 4 Bros tonight, I see no replay value here. That leaves Tomb Raider.
D - Blazing Saddles, natch.
E - Soldiers. I own both of the other 2 and haven't watched them after their initial viewing. Like Tomb Raider, the movie I don't already have in my collection won.

Th0r S1mpson 05-29-07 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by jigga6286
So does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should wait until the next offer (if there even is one)? And, if there is a new offer once this one expires, will a player that I just bought be honored despite it being purchased during this offer?

There's no way of knowing for sure what promotion will be offered next, but with the current HUGE sales on players and 5 free dvd's, I would certainly not encourage you to wait any longer if the only reason is a potential promo. This is as good as it has ever been, and better than I thought it would be all year.

If you purchase a player now and a different promotion from the manfacturer comes along, you will most likely not be able to take advantage of it later on. The purchase dates on the return form are always within a set timeframe.

But honestly, I don't see them offering anything better than 5 dvd's, and I don't think anyone anticipated seeing the HD-A2 this year for the prices it is available at right now. Truly a fantastic deal to jump on.

I would have saved about $50 had I waited another 6 weeks from when I purchased (got my HD-A2 for $309) but I don't regret it... it was a great deal at the time, and I can't imagine anyone that has been waiting for the "right time" to jump in not seeing this as that time.

gimmepilotwings 05-30-07 12:34 PM

The only one that I am sure that I will get, will be Casablanca, as I don't have it in SD. I would probably like Apollo 13, but I have the 2 early versions, The 2 disc version with all the extras, and the DTS version. I don't think that I could dip a 3rd time. Leaning Riddick as a double dip here. I am torn between Sky Captain and Four Brothers, and leaning FB. I'll probably get the Rundown as a double dip, as I have no interest in Blazing Saddles, and despise U2. I own U-571 and We Were Soldiers in SD, and have absolutely no interest in A Perfect Storm, another crap selection for me.

Councelor 06-03-07 12:39 AM

CATEGORY A: Chonicles of Riddick - Only wish they had mad Pitch Black in HD instead, now THAT would make good HD!

CATEGORY B: Constantine - Just looked better from the reviews. Casablanca is just too cliche (sp?) for me, and as for Dukes of Hazzard, Jessica Simpson just isn't up to the old daisy duke, even in a pair of Daisy Dukes!! Actually none of the characters did, except maybe Burt as Boss Hogs.

CATEGORY C: Laura Croft: Tomb Raider - Angelina Jolie in shorts, yep, guess that's what did it for me in this catagory :shrug:.

CATEGORY D: The Rundown - Just thought the reviews looked the best. Didn't think there would be any value for Blazing Saddles in HD (over SD), and don't have much use for concert DVDs, HD or not.

CATEGORY E: U-571: Seemed like it would be the second best to see in HD, but didn't care for the story in The Perfect Storm (which should be killer in HD). We Were Soldiers was just not my genre.

Kevin M. Dean 06-03-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Councelor
CATEGORY A: Chonicles of Riddick - Only wish they had mad Pitch Black in HD instead, now THAT would make good HD!

Do you mean made it available as an option for the free deal or in general? I ask because Pitch Black is out for HD DVD.

Councelor 06-03-07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Do you mean made it available as an option for the free deal or in general? I ask because Pitch Black is out for HD DVD.

Duh!! :suicide: Don't know if I should be happy or sad at your relevation...somehow I missed that it had come to HD DVD, so I'm happy :banana: !! But now you just cost me an extra $20, so I'm sad :sad: !!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

MisterHowie 06-03-07 01:25 PM

So has anyone actually gotten their promotional HD-DVDs? I ask b/c I'd like a confirmation on the turn-around time. I sent off my form about a week ago, choosing:

Seabiscuit
Casablanca
Sky Captain (the least unappealing one to me)
U2: Rattle and Hum (I love the band, why not?)
We Were Soldiers (never saw it, but heard at least one good word-of-mouth on it)

Th0r S1mpson 06-03-07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
So has anyone actually gotten their promotional HD-DVDs? I ask b/c I'd like a confirmation on the turn-around time.

I've heard from one person on here (forget who) who got theirs already and I think he said it was about 8 weeks. I think I'm on week 6 or 7 right now.

naitram 06-03-07 06:19 PM

Just sent my stuff in. Went with:

Apollo 13
Casablanca
Tomb Raider
Blazing Saddles
Perfect Storm

typecase 06-05-07 06:32 PM

Here's my list. PQ/Rewatchability were major factors in my choices. Not perfect but I'm hoping it turns out well. :)

Seabiscuit
Casablanca
Tomb Raider
Blazing Saddles
U-571

mazzystar 06-05-07 06:37 PM

My picks:
Chronicles of Riddick
Casablanca
Tomb Raider
The Rundown
The Perfect Storm

Mr. Cinema 06-05-07 07:35 PM

With this $100 off promo going on, I would think it'll take a bit longer for them to process all the mail-in rebate requests.

Living Dead 06-06-07 12:35 AM

1.) Chronicles of Riddick (Actually wanted)
2.) Casablanca (Actually wanted)
3.) Sky Captain (Blind Buy, hopefully I'll like it)
4.) The Rundown (Actually wanted)
5.) U-571 (The best of three terrible choices, I'll probably sell it)

With so many people choosing Casablanca, I hope they don't run out and send me someting horrible.

DthRdrX 06-06-07 01:01 AM

I wish they would offer newer titles for those of us looking for a second player and/or have the available titles.

jiggyblau 06-06-07 07:23 AM

Mine were

Casablanca
Seabiscuit
Blazing Saddles
Sky Captain
U-571

freudian-slip 06-06-07 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
So has anyone actually gotten their promotional HD-DVDs? I ask b/c I'd like a confirmation on the turn-around time. I sent off my form about a week ago...

The form said allow 6-8 weeks, and it's been about 9 for me so far. I think Mr. Cinema is probably correct in assuming the success of the promotions was better than they anticipated.

jigga6286 06-06-07 11:28 AM

I ordered my hd-dvd player from value electronics online, what do I use for a sales receipt? The email confirmation? None was packaged with my delivery.