DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   RUMOR: Universal Going Neutral; Universal says rumors "totally false" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/500141-rumor-universal-going-neutral%3B-universal-says-rumors-totally-false.html)

BornAgainStar 05-09-07 04:33 PM

RUMOR: Universal Going Neutral; Universal says rumors "totally false"; Blu-Ray Weeps

I hesitate in posting, knowing the flammable ramifications, but it is a relevant news story/rumor.

Universal Going Neutral?

Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution.
Heise Online Translated Page

/end speculation news

dvd182 05-09-07 05:10 PM

Clearly a bit unreliable, but would be a showstopper if true...

Eric D. 05-09-07 05:58 PM

Lets just hope this thread does not turn into the all-out-fanboy-attack the AVS one did.

jackson walker 05-09-07 06:20 PM

If Universal issues a denial, then this rumor was probably not true. If, however, they just keep quiet, then it means we will find out when (and if) they release DVDs in both formats.

cultshock 05-09-07 06:27 PM

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio.
What??? Get outta here! :lol:

Adam Tyner 05-09-07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jackson walker
If Universal issues a denial, then this rumor was probably not true.

That's the thing, though: a denial doesn't mean anything either. Hollywood studios tend to be reluctant to piss off their partners, at least in the open like that; Universal will reaffirm their HD DVD support day in and day out until minutes before there's a press release announcing Blu-ray support.

It's big news if there's any validity to it, but really, it's meaningless and empty until if/when Universal officially announces their first Blu-ray titles.

DthRdrX 05-09-07 08:04 PM

As I've said from day one, something like this won't be "leaked" at a press confrence, much less from execs from a major supporting Blu-Ray company like Pioneer. The BDA will splash this sucker all over their official sites the same way they did the WB, FOX, Disney, LG support news.

Eric D. 05-09-07 08:45 PM

Universal responded and said the rumours are false.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/09...going-neutral/

Mr. Cinema 05-09-07 09:13 PM

Craig Kornbleau said rumors were "totally false". That sounds more stern than something like "we have no plans to release on BD".

tonyc3742 05-09-07 09:19 PM

There's a difference between a denial, and a restatement of support, or, like Herr Cinema said, the old "There are no plans" vaguetry.
But yeah, this would be big news.

Maxflier 05-09-07 10:13 PM

The mere fact that this bogus bullshit is getting posted on forums all over the internet (unfortunately this one as well) is a victory in itself for the BDA. With each new horseshit claim they make in the media they probably sway a few people who don't know any better from off the fence to their side because they take this garbage at face value. It's the dirtiest possible strategy but if they keep at it then I imagine they would eventually sucker enough people over to win them the war.

Eric F 05-09-07 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The mere fact that this bogus bullshit is getting posted on forums all over the internet (unfortunately this one as well) is a victory in itself for the BDA. With each new horseshit claim they make in the media they probably sway a few people who don't know any better from off the fence to their side because they take this garbage at face value. It's the dirtiest possible strategy but if they keep at it then I imagine they would eventually sucker enough people over to win them the war.

Yes. It's all a conspiracy.

dvd182 05-09-07 11:31 PM

And the junk before CES about all the BD companies jumping wasn't the same thing? If that's the way you're viewing this, then I don't think the HD-DVD group is any less guilty.

Th0r S1mpson 05-09-07 11:41 PM

My purchase of HD-DVD had nothing to do with a Universal exclusive. In fact, when I made the purchase I didn't even know there was one.

So... I don't think it would necessarily end any format wars any time soon, even if it were true.

cultshock 05-10-07 12:14 AM

Here we go. -popcorn-

The Cow 05-10-07 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Here we go. -popcorn-

where are we going? :hscratch:

The_Omega_Man 05-10-07 01:18 AM

I'm going to go and watch another HD-DVD movie! -popcorn-

Bcolon 05-10-07 04:34 AM

This is sooo unlike the bogus bullshit that was posted all over the net a couple of weeks ago about the wal-mart players isn't it? -ohbfrank-

Shannon Nutt 05-10-07 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Universal responded and said the rumours are false.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/09...going-neutral/

Of course they are false...it's a well-known industry fact that Universal and Sony HATE each other. Universal would only go to Blu-ray if HD DVD was on life support.

RocShemp 05-10-07 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bcolon
This is sooo unlike the bogus bullshit that was posted all over the net a couple of weeks ago about the wal-mart players isn't it? -ohbfrank-

Wait. The Wal-Mart thing isn't happening after all? :hscratch:

raven56706 05-10-07 07:07 AM

but i read the Fox canceled all of their scheduled BD releases... that is true...

Vipper II 05-10-07 07:32 AM

Both "sides" speculate, but BD does it just a liiiiittle more, if you ask me.

Vipper II 05-10-07 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Of course they are false...it's a well-known industry fact that Universal and Sony HATE each other. Universal would only go to Blu-ray if HD DVD was on life support.

Is it all because of UMD?

Maxflier 05-10-07 08:21 AM

Well for one thing, the Wal-Mart thing (from what i understand) isn't as bogus as you would make it out to be. Sure, Fun Yung (or whatever the hell their name is) might not be making those players for Wal-Mart, but somebody will be. Wal-Mart just hasn't awarded the contract yet. Someone correct me if i'm wrong on that, but that is the way I understood it. Also, the difference is the Wal-Mart thing was not stated by someone that is in the HD DVD Group anyways, it was started by Fu Pan posting it on their website. Whereas the article says it was Pioneer who let this false cat out of the bag.

Originally Posted by dvd182
And the junk before CES about all the BD companies jumping wasn't the same thing?

What did the HD DVD Group have to do with a bunch of people on internet message boards speculating about BR Studios possibly switching?

Goldblum 05-10-07 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That's the thing, though: a denial doesn't mean anything either. Hollywood studios tend to be reluctant to piss off their partners, at least in the open like that; Universal will reaffirm their HD DVD support day in and day out until minutes before there's a press release announcing Blu-ray support.

It's big news if there's any validity to it, but really, it's meaningless and empty until if/when Universal officially announces their first Blu-ray titles.

:up: