Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Would I get 720p with my LCD monitor and DVI cable?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-25-07, 08:46 PM
Banned

All the HD and blu-ray players I've looked at only use HDMI or component cables. Does DVI-D cable run HD? If so why don't HD/Blu-ray players have an option to use them? I'm asking because I just got a new widescreen PC monitor (goes to 1400x900) and has DVI input. It's my understanding that it display 720p, though it is irrelevant if HD/blu-ray players don't have DVI out put right?
Old 04-25-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should be able to use these DVI to HDMI cables for the video, but you'll also have to run an audio connection as well with this. A straight HDMI to HDMI connection would run audio and video (to a regular TV that is).

With PC monitors I also think you have to make sure it is HDCP compatible (copy protection).
Old 04-25-07, 11:24 PM
Banned

well the monitor is HDCP compatible, so I guess audio is what I need to worry about. What audio output do HD DVD players use and what kind of cables would I need to hook Klipsch 2.1 PC speakers? Can that be done? They have an audio-in port that uses the headphone-like jack.
Old 04-26-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just use a stereo mini-plug (that's the headphone jack) to 2-RCA converter. You should be able to find these at electonics stores, or the typical wire stores on the internet. Monoprice, Radio Shack, etc. Make sure you get the correct male/female plugs on each end for what you need.
Old 04-26-07, 02:52 PM
Banned

I actually have one of those, but I didn't see any HD DVD players that used RCA audio, I only saw TOSLINK as audio outputs, unless they don't list the other audio outputs...
Old 04-26-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All players should have standard RCA audio outputs. I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't. Check to see if Crutchfield sells the player you're looking at. They always have great pics of the back of units.