DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Is it worth getting an HD DVD player if you only have an SD plasma? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/498807-worth-getting-hd-dvd-player-if-you-only-have-sd-plasma.html)

JHBulls 04-24-07 07:38 AM

Is it worth getting an HD DVD player if you only have an SD plasma?

I have got a Standard Definition Plasma, is it worth my while to get a HD-DVD player which will connect to that standard tv?

Also i have heard that the HD-DVD players are backwards compatable so they can play the original dvd format is this true?

Thanks to any helpers...

speedyray 04-24-07 07:55 AM

Well, if it will not do 1080i, 720p or 1080p there really is not a lot of reason to upgrade. I would check to make sure my st was not HD ready. I mean I don't remember ever seeing a plasma not HD ready.

Yes both HD-DVD and BD are backwards compatible and play DVD. The current crop of players range in ability to upconvert DVDs from excellent to not at all so if you may want to check into that if you decide to upgrade.

Hope that helps.

JHBulls 04-24-07 08:30 AM

That helped a great deal and good job to whoever edited the thread title, mine was just bad...

SoSpacey 04-24-07 09:12 AM

do you have an EDTV plasma?

which model is it?

leest3 04-24-07 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JHBulls
I have got a Standard Definition Plasma, is it worth my while to get a HD-DVD player which will connect to that standard tv?

Also i have heard that the HD-DVD players are backwards compatable so they can play the original dvd format is this true?

Thanks to any helpers...

No, it is not worth it. You'll still be watching in SD. Buy a HDTV. You can't even utilize the Toshiba players' magnificent upscaling abilities without an HDTV.

applesandrice 04-24-07 10:32 AM

I won't argue for a second that you'll need an HDTV to get the full benefit of HD DVD. If it's within your means to do so, by all means: go forth this day and purchase one, bringing it unto your bosom with much joy and thanksgiving! And, while you're at it, pick up an HD DVD player and as many discs as your bank account can handle.

At the same time, with a standard definition set -- depending on the screen size as well as your sensitivity to such matters -- you can still benefit from pictures encoded with fewer instances of haloing, edge enhancement, macroblocking, mosquito noise, and so on. At the very least, on a standard definition set, HD DVDs should have the picture quality of a reference quality DVD.

juanmgonzalez 04-24-07 01:52 PM

HDDVD looks great on my Panny EDTV - go for it

JHBulls 04-24-07 02:05 PM

As much info as possible, keep it coming guys...

"do you have an EDTV plasma?

which model is it?"

No its not an edtv and i've looked up the plasma model but its no longer available so i cannot upload a picture, it was bought 15 months ago...

The info that i will provide is that it is a 42 inch Hitachi SD, if i could see that HD DVD would come out i would've gone with HD...

"If it's within your means to do so, by all means: go forth this day and purchase one, bringing it unto your bosom with much joy and thanksgiving! And, while you're at it, pick up an HD DVD player and as many discs as your bank account can handle."

If only...

While we're discussing the same subject, does the same apply for Blue Ray with SD Tv's?

Oh the choices we make which come back to haunt as...

Noonan 04-24-07 02:24 PM

If you have a SD set, I don't see how a HD-DVD or BD player would benefit you. A SD TV will only go up to 480p which is what DVDs are. I guess there could be a very slight increase in picture quality but I can't imagine it being worth the money. Does your TV have any HDMI inputs on it?

JHBulls 04-24-07 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
If you have a SD set, I don't see how a HD-DVD or BD player would benefit you. A SD TV will only go up to 480p which is what DVDs are. I guess there could be a very slight increase in picture quality but I can't imagine it being worth the money. Does your TV have any HDMI inputs on it?

Yes, but its used to connect my set top box...

applesandrice 04-24-07 02:34 PM

which model is it?"

No its not an edtv and i've looked up the plasma model but its no longer available so i cannot upload a picture, it was bought 15 months ago...

The info that i will provide is that it is a 42 inch Hitachi SD, if i could see that HD DVD would come out i would've gone with HD...

"If it's within your means to do so, by all means: go forth this day and purchase one, bringing it unto your bosom with much joy and thanksgiving! And, while you're at it, pick up an HD DVD player and as many discs as your bank account can handle."

If only...

While we're discussing the same subject, does the same apply for Blue Ray with SD Tv's?

Theoretically, a Blu-ray player, when playing Blu-ray discs, could offer comparable improvements on your SDTV. Since price is an issue -- and it's a perfectly reasonable issue, to be sure -- just be aware that the cheapest BD player is currently the PS3, and it'll likely cost you at least half again as much as an HD-A2, if not twice as much. Also, once you DO purchase a proper HD display -- the PS3 will not upconvert your standard definition DVDs. Although you do, of course, gain the ability to play videogames, but if that were an issue, I'd say take the same money and buy an HD-A2 and a Nintendo Wii.

FantasticVSDoom 04-24-07 02:49 PM

I would just save your money and put it towards getting an HDTV... I mean I am assuming you already have a dvd player, and there is no reason to upgrade to HD or BD discs right now if you cant get the benefit from it. Even if there is a really small benefit, I wouldnt see it as being worth the price.

SoSpacey 04-24-07 03:43 PM

which model is it?"

If only...

just give us the model number. we will do the work. we are all pretty goiod at it.

if this plasma was purchased 15 months ago, i cant see how it would be SD.

my bet would be that you are mistaking 1080p as being the only HD and your plasma is 720p.

JHBulls 04-24-07 03:48 PM

"just give us the model number. we will do the work. we are all pretty goiod at it.

if this plasma was purchased 15 months ago, i cant see how it would be SD."

Model number: 42PD380TA-P1

SoSpacey 04-24-07 04:01 PM

"just give us the model number. we will do the work. we are all pretty goiod at it.

if this plasma was purchased 15 months ago, i cant see how it would be SD."

Model number: 42PD380TA-P1

Effective Display 852 x480

i would guess this is an EDTV. It does claim to handle HDTV signals so I guess it would just convert them to the native resolution via the scaler.

# 42" Multi-System Plasma TV
# WorldWide NTSC/PAL/SECAM Color System
# WorldWide NTSC, PAL BG, PAL I, Secam BG, DK/ PAL DK TV tuners
# Panel Luminance 1500cd/m2 and Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
# New Built-in Full Multi-system Tuner
# Panel Life : 60,000hrs
# HDMI High Definition input
# HDTV Ready
# SRS WOW
# Horizontal/ Vertical viewing angle: Free
# High Standard in Panel Luminance and Contracts Ratio
# Effective Display 852 x480

If I was you I would just buy a good SD DVD player.

Noonan 04-24-07 04:05 PM

From what I could find, that TV can accept a signal up to 1080i but only has a resolution of 852x480. I really don't know if a HD-DVD or BD would look any different than a DVD. I don't think it'll be a big difference though.

JHBulls 04-24-07 04:06 PM

The reason i want to upgrade is because my dvd player is 4 years old and it just doesnt look clear enough on my tv so i'll just speand 200-300 and buy a decent model DVD player...

bboisvert 04-24-07 04:08 PM

The reason i want to upgrade is because my dvd player is 4 years old and it just doesnt look clean enough of my tv so i'll just speand 200-300 and buy a decent model DVD player...

Personally, I'd save up and get a better TV, rather than spending extra money for equipment to work with your current model. Why did you opt for an EDTV instead of an HDTV?

JHBulls 04-24-07 04:26 PM

The tv i went for had a much clearer picture and no streaks than the same model tv in HD in the show room... At the end of the day maybe not the best choice...

JayDerek 04-24-07 04:37 PM

I'll chime in also with "save up and get a new TV first".

It really would make it worthwhile

XavierMike 04-24-07 04:44 PM

I would save for the new tv as well.

JHBulls 04-24-07 05:07 PM

You guys do know that you're deprssing me with all this get a new tv business?

applesandrice 04-24-07 05:07 PM

I whole-heartedly agree that you're not going to be getting the most bang for your buck 'til you splash out for a new set, and would recommend that above all else. However, if you aren't going to trade up for a while, and are instead thinking about buying a new $300 DVD player, I think the HD-A2 would be the way to go. It makes for a pretty terrific DVD player, and, when you finally do get around to upgrading your display, you'll already have that pesky HD disc player problem covered.

Spiky 04-24-07 05:08 PM

That is called an EDTV. There has never been an SDTV plasma. There can't be since they do not make them interlaced, only progressive scan.

sayguh 04-24-07 05:21 PM

I'd sell that Plasma really really quick... while much of the world is still in the dark about what HD is...

SELL IT!

Don't wait, do it now.

Use the extra money to get a real HD TV. Even if its smaller.

Then get the HD DVD player and you are living life.

Until that point you are just wasting precious minutes