Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD & Blu-ray - Release Calendar 2007 (Part 1)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD & Blu-ray - Release Calendar 2007 (Part 1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help but wonder: do most people like bravesmg replace just titles they don't yet own and have inferior copies of (non-anamorphic) or, like me, end up replacing most of what I already had with hd versions although never intended to?
Old 02-07-07, 10:04 AM
Banned

I just buy everything that I like, previously owned on DVD or not.
Old 02-07-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, I've still seen no confirmation for any of these (the May 8th titles)...but I'm excited nonetheless.

As for the Disney designs, I have no doubt that they will be less garish when actually released. For instance, early cover art for both Chicago and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had the same massive swoosh and strange cover art, but their retail versions were better composed. These will likely be the same. As for the actual artwork, they are indeed the same as the SD versions...not a big deal.

The bigger deal, in my opinion, is that Disney is seemingly porting over all of their special features (or 95%...it's unclear). That's very exciting and bodes well for both POTC movies, Pixar movies, every Disney movie, etc. Now if only Fox/MGM would do the same....
Old 02-07-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The swoosh on Hitchhiker's looks the same as these newly announced Disney titles. It just doesn't have as many huge quotes. They still look pretty damn hideous with or without the quotes.
Old 02-07-07, 11:57 AM
Banned

Official street date for The Good Shepherd HD-DVD is April 3. Extras include deleted scenes and PIP U-control.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64023
Old 02-07-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
The bigger deal, in my opinion, is that Disney is seemingly porting over all of their special features (or 95%...it's unclear). That's very exciting and bodes well for both POTC movies, Pixar movies, every Disney movie, etc. Now if only Fox/MGM would do the same....
They're porting over most if not all of the special features, they're using AVC and VC-1 more frequently, and they're only charging $34.95 list price. Which is why I'm likely to pick up more of their titles than Fox/MGM, despite the latter studio having more releases I'm interested in.
Old 02-08-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rusty James
Official street date for The Good Shepherd HD-DVD is April 3. Extras include deleted scenes and PIP U-control.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64023
Updated.

Also, I noticed I had overlooked Hannibal from a previous announcement.

And I have added lots of documentaries on hidef that are coming out next February 27:

Antarctica Dreaming: Wildfire On Ice, Fireplace: Visions Of Tranquility, HD Window: Hawaii, HD Window: The Great Southwest, HDScape Sampler, Serenity: Southern Seas, and Visions of the Sea: Explorations are up for preorder on HD DVD; Nature's Colors With The World's Greatest Music on BD and HD DVD.
Old 02-08-07, 09:52 AM
Banned

The Cameron Diaz-Kate Winslet comedy The Holiday, a Blu-ray exclusive in the U.S., is coming to HD-DVD on March 26th in the U.K.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-holiday.html
Old 02-08-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both Pirates of the Caribbean movies are up for pre-order at Amazon. Although it says DVD right now, they're both seemingly priced correctly for Blu-ray and are coming out on the day the Blu-ray versions of these movies are scheduled. And as we all know, Amazon has a habit of mixing up specs at first, then fixing them later.

Granted, I wouldn't actually order these right now, as there would likely be various problems with one's order, but it shows that these are actually coming out on May 22nd. Exciting. Let's see the official announcement now....
Old 02-09-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

40-Year-Old Virgin for May 22: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64042
Old 02-09-07, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grubert
sign me up!
Old 02-09-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
Nice...LOVE that movie!

Now I need some fuuucking french toast.
Old 02-09-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Children of Men on March 27th.

The studios do realize that there are 3 other (and completely barren) Tuesdays in March, right? At least for now, there are 7 HD DVD releases in March, and they're all coming out the same day.
Old 02-09-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok here's some more Blu-Ray info for everyone:

Eragon is slated for 03/20/07 with MSRP at $39.98
Seven Years in Tibet will be coming 05/01/07 with MSRP at $28.95
and it looks like Night at the Museum will be pushed back to 04/24/07
Old 02-09-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I'll pick up Seven Years for sure.

DVDEmpire added the following Blu-rays today:

Deja Vu: 4/24

as well as the previously mentioned Disney titles.
Old 02-09-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope The 40 Year Old Virgin offers the Rated-R version. I HATE the unrated cut, which features a bloated runtime and some really unfunny sequences. I LOVE the theatrical cut. If the HD DVD is unrated only, then I'll stick with my Rated 16:9 dvd.

But it is nice to see an actual HD DVD with a specific release date. Maybe they are realizing that to continue to try and win the format war that you actually have to provide content to your fanbase.
Old 02-09-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I hope The 40 Year Old Virgin offers the Rated-R version. I HATE the unrated cut, which features a bloated runtime and some really unfunny sequences. I LOVE the theatrical cut. If the HD DVD is unrated only, then I'll stick with my Rated 16:9 dvd.
I'll have to check out the rated version sometime. I only saw the unrated and did not care for it at all. I have a feeling they may just release the rated version in HD because the unrated version was not that well received (at least, that's what I glean from this forum).
Old 02-09-07, 05:04 PM
Banned

Personally, I loved both. Saw the theatrical and only saw the Unrated on home video and really couldn't remember what was added and what wasn't. Really love the movie though.
Old 02-09-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it was released on dvd, it was widescreen unrated only. Then later, Universal quietly released the Rated cut in Widescreen, so apparently enough people complained about not being able to own the rated cut in widescreen. It is far, far superior to the longer version. I have yet to see the rated widescreen dvd in stores. I got mine at Best Buy's website for $15. Amazon also has it.
Old 02-09-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, both Pirates of the Caribbean movies are now properly listed as Blu-ray and up for pre-order at Amazon. Also, Curse of the Black Pearl says (2pc), which usually means two disc set...Dead Man's Chest might say the same, but I didn't check because I don't want that one.

A two Blu-ray disc set for POTC? Sounds good to me! (And I know someone indicated that they might be two-disc sets earlier...this seems like a further confirmation.)
Old 02-09-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
When it was released on dvd, it was widescreen unrated only. Then later, Universal quietly released the Rated cut in Widescreen, so apparently enough people complained about not being able to own the rated cut in widescreen. It is far, far superior to the longer version.
I agree on the original theatrical version being better.

I really hope they choose to include both versions on the HD-DVD!
Old 02-09-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
I have yet to see the rated widescreen dvd in stores. I got mine at Best Buy's website for $15. Amazon also has it.
I bet you could find it at WalMart. They don't carry "unrated" DVDs.
Old 02-09-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I bet you could find it at WalMart. They don't carry "unrated" DVDs.
Oh yes they do, as long as they are the "soft" unrated versions (which sadly make up the majority of unrated discs today). You won't find something like Team America unrated, but plenty of others, including T40YOV.
Old 02-10-07, 12:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I loved the unrated cut of 40 Year Old Virgin. The added conversations made the characters feel more lived in, and it had the same kind of improvisational humor I loved from Anchorman or the Christopher Guest films.
Old 02-10-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm got some interesting news from my distributor. Apparently these upcoming Blu-Ray titles are on Moratorium aka. Delayed/Cancelled. So i wouldn't expect these to show up on time.

Commando
Dodgeball
Ice Age
Tristan & Isolde
Dude, Where's my Car?
The Fly
Turistas

I'm not sure what to make of all this but they are all Fox titles. Don't know if they are having problems, or if they just want to delay some titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.