Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD Antennas

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD Antennas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD Antennas

I really don't want to pay to get HD cable or satellite, so I am picking up an HD Antenna today at Best Buy. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with one of these things? I am getting the Terk HDTVa.

Another question I have is whether or not I will be able to get the NHL playoff game on Thursday in HD. If I can receive the HD Fox signal, are they playing the Red Wings game on Thursday? Where can I find an HD schedule for over-the-air stuff?
Old 04-11-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tigershard
I really don't want to pay to get HD cable or satellite, so I am picking up an HD Antenna today at Best Buy. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with one of these things? I am getting the Terk HDTVa.

Another question I have is whether or not I will be able to get the NHL playoff game on Thursday in HD. If I can receive the HD Fox signal, are they playing the Red Wings game on Thursday? Where can I find an HD schedule for over-the-air stuff?

I don't have any experience on that specific antenna, but calling it an HD antenna is just marketing. There is no difference between antennas for HD signals and the analog channels. I'm not sure where you are located, but in the Boston area all the digital channels are in the UHF band, so if all you want is the digitals, all you need is a UHF antenna and can skip VHF (unless you want the local analog channels as well). If you go to antennaweb.org and plug in your address, it will tell you what channels are available and what kind of antenna you need to get them (and what direction to point it in).

As for your hockey question, I believe the national coverage for the first round is all on Versus (formerly OLN). When network coverage starts, it will be on NBC...If you are local to Detroit, you may find HD coverage on whatever channel has the local rights...HDSportsGuide.com is pretty good at tracking who is showing what for sports in HD.
Old 04-11-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the Antennaweb suggestion:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

As to sites with good HD schedule information, I like http://www.titantv.com
Old 04-11-07, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tigershard

I bought that same antenna. I live in Astoria, NY and from my window I have a clear line of sight to the top of the empire state building which is about 5-6 miles away. The reception was top notch, no artifacts on the screen, perfect signals. I had no problems getting all of the HD channels OTA. They usually had a separate channel. Like 4-1 would be HD, 4-2 would be SD, 4-3 would be something else. But then I ended up getting cable and returned it, but IMO it was a great antenna, but it all depends where you live.
Old 04-11-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Phillips Antenna for $10 at Wal-Mart. Works fairly well, sometimes I have to toggle the switch and move the ears around. Free HD rocks, excellent picture and some have great surround sound (Unit has good gunshots).

With the antenna, it's like just watching old tv. You'll get over the air channels but also get their hd counterpart.
Old 04-11-07, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all your feedback. I am watching American Idol right now in HD, and it is amazing!
Old 04-12-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
I picked up a $40 small outdoor one at Home Depot by GE. I believe Phillips markets it as well at Wal-Mart.

It is a powered antenna and works well in my area. It is small and was easy to attach to my dish network dish I use for SD. Get all locals in HD for free....loving life!