DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Baraka...Blu Ray ever? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/496867-baraka-blu-ray-ever.html)

DeVante 04-01-07 04:59 PM

Baraka...Blu Ray ever?

Simply one of the most moving pictures I have ever seen. Any chnace this great documentary might get a Blu-Ray release? I know its not a mass market title, but I would love to add this to my collection.

matome 04-01-07 05:02 PM

I think it's gonna be a quite a while before you see something that small from an independent studio show up on Blu-Ray.

DeVante 04-01-07 05:05 PM

True, but didn't Chronos get a Blu-Ray release...wasn't that from a small indie studio? Also, Ron Fricke(director of Baraka) directed Chronos, so maybe there is a small sign of hope?

ResIpsa 04-01-07 05:27 PM

Baraka on BD would make me think long and hard about my investment in HD-DVD.

Josh Z 04-01-07 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by DeVante
True, but didn't Chronos get a Blu-Ray release...wasn't that from a small indie studio? Also, Ron Fricke(director of Baraka) directed Chronos, so maybe there is a small sign of hope?

Chronos was released by R&B Films, which has been brave enough to dabble in both HD formats. Baraka was last distributed on DVD by MPI Home Entertainment, an indie sitting out the format war.

Supermallet 04-01-07 09:58 PM

Forget Baraka, somebody let me know when Koyaanisqatsi comes to either format.

ResIpsa 04-02-07 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Forget Baraka, somebody let me know when Koyaanisqatsi comes to either format.

That too. :D Koyaanisqatsi is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, but it is older and was filmed in 35mm, whereas Baraka was filmed in 70mm. For pure eye candy appeal, Baraka would be irresistible in HD and I would gnash my teeth if it were released in BD only.

Giles 04-02-07 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
That too. :D Koyaanisqatsi is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, but it is older and was filmed in 35mm, whereas Baraka was filmed in 70mm. For pure eye candy appeal, Baraka would be irresistible in HD and I would gnash my teeth if it were released in BD only.

no they'd do what they did to 'Chronos' and make the HD-DVD inferior to the Blu-ray version. ;)

Davy Mack 04-03-07 02:50 AM

I recently watched Baraka on INHD through comcast. Looked pretty swell.

riotinmyskull 08-07-09 08:54 AM

Re: Baraka...Blu Ray ever?

anyone own this and mind taking pictures of the packaging? is there a hub or just a paper sleeve?

Josh Z 08-07-09 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9628567)
anyone own this and mind taking pictures of the packaging? is there a hub or just a paper sleeve?

The original batch of discs came in a cardboard case with a sleeve that the disc slid into. The sleeve was part of the cardboard jacket, not lined in any way. From what I've heard, subsequent batches have come in a standard keepcase.

riotinmyskull 08-07-09 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 9628592)
The original batch of discs came in a cardboard case with a sleeve that the disc slid into. The sleeve was part of the cardboard jacket, not lined in any way. From what I've heard, subsequent batches have come in a standard keepcase.

:thumbsup: great news! anyone bought/ordered a copy and received it in the standard case recently?

E Unit 08-07-09 09:47 AM

Seen them in standard blu ray cases in plenty o' stores like Best Buy and Fry's.

islandclaws 08-07-09 12:05 PM

Yea, had I known they were going to reissue this in a standard case I would have held off. Plus, I believe some of the early batches had a defect in the authoring. I know my first copy did.

terrym4 08-07-09 01:41 PM

I purchased this from DD in standard case- no defects, looks and sounds simply amazing. MY HT has never looked or sounded better.

Shap 08-07-09 01:54 PM

I just got this during the DD sale too in a standard blue case. Absolutely stunning. Picture quality rivals every disc I have ever seen. Demo material for sure.