HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HDMI cable for 3 bucks? What gives...

Old 03-25-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HDMI cable for 3 bucks? What gives...

I've never used an HDMI cable before but if I pick up an HD player soon I will be getting one... they tend to be expensive as we all know.

So when browsing on Amazon and I came across this, I was surprised. Misprint? What gives?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Super-Res...4845593&sr=8-1

Would this be a waste of money or what?

Here is another one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit...4845593&sr=8-2

The reviews are all great, but I don't trust an average joe on Amazon to give me a good quality review.

What do people here do for HDMI?
Old 03-25-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get whatever monoprice.com is selling. They work great and are cheap.
Old 03-25-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This one for $5.25? Really?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
Old 03-25-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, really. If not, Fry's had one on sale for $17.99 on Friday when I went in. Don't believe the $79.99 price that Best Buy has!
Old 03-25-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Yes, really. Although I haven't purchased that particular cable, check out the 69 user reviews here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Like many others here I get all my cables from monoprice.com. The quality for the price can't be beat, so far as I have seen.

Overpriced accessories, such as cables, are a major money maker for electronics stores. You don't have to play their game.

Last edited by lizard; 03-25-07 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-25-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Yes, really. They even have them cheaper sometimes. Quick shipping, too.
Old 03-25-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monoprice is definately the way to go.
Old 03-25-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Several months ago, I got one of BetterCables' 20 foot HDMI cables on eBay for about $20. BetterCables was even the seller, and the same cable on their own site was going for well over $100! So if a respected name brand is important to you, that may be another option to consider.
Old 03-25-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recently got a HD TV and had to purchase some HDMI cables. I had to get a few, my TV only has one HDMI input, and I wanted to hook up my DVD player and cable box. So, anyway, I bought a HDMI switch from monoprice, but I needed to get at least three cables. I ordered the cables from here: http://www.svideo.com

I have been really happy with the quality. And what was extra nice is that they offer free shipping and their shipping hub is a city that's only about 45 minutes away from where I live, so I got it pretty much next day. But they did send out the order extremely quickly for those of you who don't live so near. I'll definitely be ordering from them again when I need to buy another HDMI cable.

Just another option for you ...
Old 03-25-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Monoprice!!!!

Paying retail for A/V cables is moronic.
Old 03-25-07, 03:38 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll add to the piling on of praise for Monoprice. I've ordered 3 HDMI cables from them and all work great. Their shipping is fast too. My last couple of orders from them have come the next day (one SoCal city to another). The one you linked to is the one I just got a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-25-07, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Monoprice is an unbeatable deal.
Old 03-25-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that's certainly fantastic news. Thanks everyone. While I knew that the highest priced cables were always overkill, I had no idea cables could be found this cheap.

For the savings on this cable alone, that's 2-3 HD movies I can buy!
Old 03-25-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I might actually have at least one of the cable you showed at monoprice. I got 3 cables and a switch box from them for like 50 shipped. I think I bought a mid level cable also, not their cheapest. Good cables make a little differnce, but the difference is a much lower scale than cost. HDMI is especially overated as it is digital so it either gets there or it does not, I like having nice analog cables, but I still try to buy on clearance or in particular a couple years back from Essex retail bulk lots - used to be on eBay but are now on Overstock auctions - since they had grab boxes that would often have 5 or more AR or Moster Cable sets in them for a couple bucks a box. I bought about 8 lots and picked them up in Nashville instead of letting them ship and re-wired all my equipment (I had been using some real crap cables). There was a difference, but it was no overwhelming - If I had paid retail I would have been pissed.
Old 03-25-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Monoprice

Monoprice

Monoprice
Old 03-25-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to wonder how many customers Best Buy and Circuit City soak with their ultra-expensive HDMI cables.
Old 03-25-07, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I have to wonder how many customers Best Buy and Circuit City soak with their ultra-expensive HDMI cables.
All of them.

Old 03-25-07, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Monoprice

Monoprice

Monoprice
i wish these guys shipped internationally !!
Old 03-25-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson

That's the exact cable I bought to hook up my PS3. It works perfectly, and I received it in less than a week. Like everyone else, I highly recommend monoprice.
Old 03-26-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Monoprice complaint. I bought a mini-stereo cable for like 3 bucks, which was absolute garbage. It was to play my MP3 player through the car speakers, and the cable was so stiff that it end up breaking, and I had to twist, and fold it all ways to get the sound right. Went to Target, got the same type of cable by GE for a few bucks more and it is 100 times better. Much more flexible, better connection, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
Old 03-26-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard
Overpriced accessories, such as cables, are a major money maker for electronics stores. You don't have to play their game.
Exactly. When I worked at Wal-Mart electronics, we'd only make $5 profit on a TV sale, but cables and accessories had a 70-80% markup.
Old 03-26-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Monoprice

Monoprice

Monoprice

Mono.....D'oh!
Old 03-26-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In case it hasn't been said, monoprice.
Old 03-26-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I have a Monoprice complaint. I bought a mini-stereo cable for like 3 bucks, which was absolute garbage. It was to play my MP3 player through the car speakers, and the cable was so stiff that it end up breaking, and I had to twist, and fold it all ways to get the sound right. Went to Target, got the same type of cable by GE for a few bucks more and it is 100 times better. Much more flexible, better connection, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
You should have e-mailed Sean. He ALWAYS takes care of his customers. He would have either replaced the cable or given you a credit towards something else.
Old 03-26-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDTalk turned me onto monoprice - got a switcher and some HDMI cables. No complaints! Best Buy is anything but.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.