DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Xbox 360 Elite (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/495837-xbox-360-elite.html)

Identify 03-20-07 08:21 PM

Xbox 360 Elite

Engadget.com

We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...-360-black.jpg

mbs 03-20-07 08:24 PM

I'm curious why this is in HD talk? It has been said (by MS) for some time that the HD-DVD drive would remain an add-on. IMO, for MS to do anything different (include the drive) would be very foolish.

mhinkley 03-20-07 10:50 PM

This is big news...I am glad it is here in HD talk...Xbox 360 can now have HDMI playback...this is bigtime! This will now allow for many users who don't have a pc imput on their tv to use...and potentially have truehd audio through HDMI, considering that with optical you can't!

Matt

CKMorpheus 03-21-07 04:57 AM

I must have it!

Mr. Cinema 03-21-07 05:55 AM

That looks verrry niiice.

candyrocket786 03-21-07 08:25 AM

It does look nice, but I'm not too crazy on the price...extra $80 for 120gb HD and HDMI. :hscratch:

The current 20gb harddrive retails for $99. Logically, wouldn't this mean that existing 360 hardware prices should experience a (huge) drop? :confused:

Groucho 03-21-07 08:28 AM

Strongly considering this, sounds great. Wish it had built in wifi, though.

PixyJunket 03-21-07 08:32 AM

I wouldn't jump on this just yet. This is a limited edition color. Once this black version sells out the 120GB+HDMI model is supposed to take the place of the current $400 "premium" model in the standard white. Basically, you can pay an extra $80 now for the color or wait until summer to get it for the regular price ($400).

darkside 03-21-07 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Groucho
Strongly considering this, sounds great. Wish it had built in wifi, though.

Now I have to start backtracking through threads to find out why they changed your name to Mrs Groucho.

Anyway, this does sound cool. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about temptation anytime soon since I broke the bank getting a PS3 and Wii.

mdc3000 03-21-07 09:03 AM

I want one...big time. It looks friggin' cool and the addition of HDMI and the bigger hard drive is really enticing...I'm picking up a PS3 today, so I certainly won't be upgrading my 360 anytime soon, but if I had excess cash lying around, I'd be all over this.

BravesMG 03-21-07 09:43 AM

I'm hoping that this model will output 1080p for the HD Drive, but then I'd have to figure out how much it would cost to upgrade.

Mopower 03-21-07 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm hoping that this model will output 1080p for the HD Drive, but then I'd have to figure out how much it would cost to upgrade.

The current drive outputs at 1080p thru the VGA cable.

DVD Josh 03-21-07 10:14 AM

I am strongly considering just using my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and moving to 360 for gaming. It would have been nice to have a built in HD player so I could combine equipment, but ah well. The black is nice, don't really understand the price premium though.

Noonan 03-21-07 10:14 AM

Probably won't pick up the system but I'll definitely buy a black controller if they offer them separately.

BravesMG 03-21-07 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower

But my Sony SXRD TV isn't fully compatible with the VGA cable, which really sucks.

mbs 03-21-07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower

It also outputs HD-DVDs at 1080p thru component (assuming your source will accept it). Despite posts (here and elsewhere) to the contrary, the 360 HD-DVD add-on WILL output 1080p thru component.

BravesMG 03-21-07 12:07 PM

As far as I can tell, my TV only accepts 1080p through HDMI.

Th0r S1mpson 03-28-07 11:52 PM

REDMOND, Wash. - <B>Microsoft Corp. will sell a version of its Xbox 360 with a 120-gigabyte hard drive and a souped up high-definition video connection</B>, in a bid to broaden the appeal of its popular console beyond video games.

Earlier versions of Xbox 360 came with 20 gigabytes of storage. But that filled up too quickly with movies, TV shows and games from the Xbox Live Marketplace online store, said Peter Moore, a corporate vice president in Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment group.

<B>The new Xbox 360 Elite will sell for $479.99.</B> Consumers who already own the $399.99 20-gigabyte model will be able to buy a snap-on 120-gigabyte hard drive for $179.99. Both the new console and the drive are expected to hit U.S. shelves <B>April 29.</B>

<B>Microsoft also added an HDMI connection</B>, which sends high-definition content from the console to the TV without losing picture or sound quality, while also helping prevent piracy.

Xbox 360 was the No. 2 U.S. video game console after Nintendo Co.’s Wii in January and February, according to data from market researcher NPD Group. The Xbox outpaced Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3, a $599.99 console that plays Blu-ray DVDs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17821341/

New story today on MSNBC. Not much new info though.

Anyone know if the HDMI means it will now do upconversion of SD DVD's? I'm curious how this might compare to the upconversion of the Toshibas, though that is probably an unknown at this point?

Spiky 03-29-07 12:06 AM

Snap-on hard drive? That sounds...curious.

Fincher Fan 03-29-07 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Snap-on hard drive? That sounds...curious.

That's how the hard drive currently is.

mbs 03-29-07 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Anyone know if the HDMI means it will now do upconversion of SD DVD's? I'm curious how this might compare to the upconversion of the Toshibas, though that is probably an unknown at this point?

The 360 upconverts over VGA, so I'm sure upconverting via HDMI will be enabled. Upconverting over component isn't a limitation of the 360, but rather due to SD-DVDs (stupid) copy protections.

Th0r S1mpson 03-29-07 08:35 AM

How does the upconversion of the Xbox compare to the HD-A2?

firteen88 03-30-07 02:31 PM

How did they not include Wi-fi?? This is the one reason I didn't buy the original 360. my computer is nowhere near where I would setup the 360 so I cant hook it up with ethernet so I wouldn't be able to get onto Xbox live. Whats the point if you can't get online.

darkside 03-30-07 02:41 PM

This is the main reason I have an issue with the elite. If someone really wanted all the features of the 60GB PS3 and was comparing it to the 360 they would have to spend $779 to get equal features in HD playback and wi-fi. MS has cheaper hardware, but rips you off on accessories.

firteen88 03-30-07 02:44 PM

How does anyone connect to live if their computer isn't close to their Xbox?? For a little more money, the PS3 is looking better and better.