DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Blu-ray (sony) Claims That Dvd's Will Be Dead In 3 Years ! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/495763-blu-ray-sony-claims-dvds-will-dead-3-years.html)

noticreign 03-20-07 10:51 AM

Blu-ray (sony) Claims That Dvd's Will Be Dead In 3 Years !

Sony Can Suck C#@k!! I Don't Know One Person That Is Going To Start Their Collection Over And Replace All Their Dvd's. It Took People Along Time To Give Up Video Tapes And It Will Take A Hell Of A Lot Longer For People To Switch Solely To Hd Format. Those Pompous Greedy Bastards Need To Lose The Format War And Console War Altogether!

Giles 03-20-07 10:57 AM

duly noted

Turd Ferguson 03-20-07 10:59 AM

Blu-ray will rule the market much like Beta and MiniDiscs.

The Eliminator 03-20-07 10:59 AM

Sony said the same thing about MD's.

The Cow 03-20-07 11:02 AM

HD Forum:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=495391

rw2516 03-20-07 11:03 AM

Only if every single title ever released on dvd gets a HD release. I can believe the time will come when titles are no longer released on dvd but that's more than 3 years off.

SoSpacey 03-20-07 11:28 AM

repost

Peep 03-20-07 11:41 AM

When I read that article, it sounds like they are saying that Blu-ray will have destroyed HD in three years, not DVD.

Drexl 03-20-07 11:42 AM

Nah, let there be a thread here as well. It should get some interesting responses. After all, if the quote is really what they meant, it would affect DVD (well, not really, because it's ridiculous to believe that DVD would be overtaken in 3 years, but still...).

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, I think this was taken out of context, and what the guy really meant was that BD would be the only HD disc format in 3 years. If things continue to play out as they are now, that is likely.

darkside 03-20-07 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by noticreign
Sony Can Suck C#@k!! I Don't Know One Person That Is Going To Start Their Collection Over And Replace All Their Dvd's. It Took People Along Time To Give Up Video Tapes And It Will Take A Hell Of A Lot Longer For People To Switch Solely To Hd Format. Those Pompous Greedy Bastards Need To Lose The Format War And Console War Altogether!

Worth the repost just for this. :lol:

Even Sony knows that standard DVD will not be defeated in 3 years. Probably not at all by Blu-ray. I think Sony is more focused on defeating HD DVD and establishing Blu-ray as a strong niche product to compliment their DVD sales.

Giles 03-20-07 11:59 AM

noticreign is a rather shouty kind of guy.

GrimTangent 03-20-07 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by noticreign

I think this might be a title to a book, movie, or one man show. Every first letter is capitalized.
Actually, I can appreciate that. It takes a lot more effort than capitalizing every letter. Welcome to the forum!:clap:

PixyJunket 03-20-07 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by GrimTangent
It takes a lot more effort than capitalizing every letter.

The forum automatically does this when a post is submitted in all caps.

Wildo1966 03-20-07 12:15 PM

I bet Sony's next bold statement will be......UMD will be taking over the universe next!

Just Lurking 03-20-07 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
When I read that article, it sounds like they are saying that Blu-ray will have destroyed HD in three years, not DVD.

I think that Sony purposefully left it ambiguous to inflame HD DVD supporters. Like most of their comments on the format war.

I will piss on Sony with noticreign.

redskull 03-20-07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
Sony said the same thing about MD's.

And DAT, and CD Singles, and Super CD, and...

Duality 03-20-07 12:36 PM

Joe Six Pack

Wow, I never considered myself a JSP. However, lately I've been watching The Amazing Race using my TV antenna and I've used an iPOD to watch another TV show. I haven't been bothered by the poor picture quality at all! Yes, I've found it's the content I'm actually enjoying. A fuzzy picture or a tiny screen might not be the perfect way to get the information, but I'm oddly satisfied. Furthermore, DVD is great, but upon reflection, I've discovered it was the durability of disc storage over tape and not picture quality that was a compelling reason for shifting from tape ten years ago.

Sony should do a bit of reseach before they make outrageous statements. I don't think their future is as bright as the hyped software sales numbers might have us believe. I am certain the vast majority of consumers will be satisfied with standard definition DVD and iPOD broadcasts of their movies and shows for a long time.

Brian Shannon 03-20-07 12:42 PM

<shrug> Sony can say anything they want.

As long as I have a working dvd player, dvd's will still be available to me to watch. It does not matter how many years have gone by that HD/BluRay have been replaced themselves by something newer.

dx23 03-20-07 01:06 PM

EZ-DVDs will replace rentals and all DVDs in the next 24 hours!!!!!!

wordtoyamotha 03-20-07 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think this was taken out of context, and what the guy really meant was that BD would be the only HD disc format in 3 years. If things continue to play out as they are now, that is likely.

Exactly. I think what Sony is saying is that they expect to be selling more Blu-Ray than regular DVD in 3 years. All of the dvd's that people own today will play perfectly in the fully backwards compatible blu-ray players.

namja 03-20-07 03:09 PM

It was nice that this was moved here but ...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=495391