DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Spartacus HD-DVD - Is it worth the upgrade from DVD?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/495349-spartacus-hd-dvd-worth-upgrade-dvd.html)

KevD 03-15-07 03:20 PM

Spartacus HD-DVD - Is it worth the upgrade from DVD??

This is one of my favourite all time films and I have been thinkig about the HD-DVD for a while now but have been put off by some average reviews (including DVDTalk here .

I already own the Criterion Special Edition DVD which has a greatpic and loads of extras - my question is, does anybody agree I should stick with the CC DVD or upgrade to HD??

Thanks

darkside 03-15-07 03:26 PM

No. This is one of the worst looking HD DVDs I have watched. Stick with the Criterion.

lotsofdvds 03-15-07 03:51 PM

Stick with the Criterion.

Doughboy 03-15-07 04:13 PM

Worst-looking HD-DVD I own, and I've got 63 of them. Virtually no noticable improvement over the Criterion SD-DVD.

Supermallet 03-15-07 06:03 PM

As I noted in my review, there are some slight improvements over the Criterion, specifically in the realm of compression artifacts and mosquito noise. But not enough of an improvement to warrant a whole new purchase.

Grubert 03-16-07 05:54 AM

I bought it, watched it, puked and resold it.

How can The Searchers look so good and Spartacus so bad?

Supermallet 03-16-07 10:06 AM

The Searchers was taken from a brand new 2005/2006 remaster. Spartacus was remastered in 1991, and the technology has improved greatly since it was done.

jackson walker 03-17-07 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Searchers was taken from a brand new 2005/2006 remaster. Spartacus was remastered in 1991, and the technology has improved greatly since it was done.

So far that is the reason I am upgrading to the new format (in my case Blu-ray): to replace my first generation DVDs. For example I upgraded to "The Searchers" because of the video and the extras; and ditto "Goodfellas" to get rid of my "flipper" version with no extras.

whotony 03-18-07 08:41 PM

dont buy it

DthRdrX 03-18-07 11:22 PM

I have both and I don't suggest buying the HD-dvd if you have the Criterion. Just wait and see if this gets cleaned up in the future.

clappj 03-19-07 09:46 AM

This makes me wonder how much better (if any) Brazil will look, when it's released in HD-DVD format, than the newer anamorphic Criterion release?

KevD 03-20-07 11:35 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, although I feel a little stupid as I went to pick out a HD-DVD to watch from my unwatched pile (ever-growing!!) and I spotted I had Spartacus :eyebrow:

I actually bought it from the HD FS/FT thread here :). So I but it on and had a look myself and have to agree with everything thats been said - while its good, its not worth the upgrade, so I have now sold it on and will stick with my CC until theycome up with a new offering -pray-