DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Hellboy Blu-Ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/495340-hellboy-blu-ray.html)

Fandango 03-15-07 12:54 PM

Hellboy Blu-Ray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellboy-Blu-...3981272&sr=8-9

The total for my order came out to be $32. This isn't scheduled for release here until June so if you want this early its not too much of a premium to pay. This title is region free as well.

Josh Z 03-15-07 08:50 PM

It lists a run time of 132 minutes, which would be the Director's Cut if correct. So that's good news.

Supermallet 03-16-07 12:11 AM

But it appears to be featureless.

Artman 03-16-07 01:48 AM

A shame it doesn't at least have the doc. But never fear, with the sequel out next yr (even though it's from another studio) it's a no-brainer for another release.

matome 03-20-07 01:31 PM

Someone at AVS just got the UK version and confirmed it actually does have extras:

Just tried it and as expected UK Hellboy works fine on US PS3.

Extras are:
Deleted Scenes (with commentary)
Featurettes
Hellboy: Seeds of Creation documentary
Director's commentary

Supermallet 03-20-07 08:16 PM

Hmmm...tempting.

Grubert 03-21-07 05:20 AM

June 5 in the US: http://www.davisdvd.com/news/blu-ray.html

Yavin 02-08-08 09:36 AM

I'm thinking about making this one of my rare HDM double-dips (already own the 2-disc, non-director's cut DVD, so I guess if I want to get technical it wouldn't really be a double-dip since the Blu-ray contains the director's cut).

From the reviews I've read both on DVDTalk and on HighDefDigest, the picture quality on this disc is supposed to be fantastic. But I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight as to how much it improves on the PQ of the original 2-disc DVD. Is it a vast improvement, or only marginal?

E Unit 02-08-08 11:09 AM

I thought it was a great improvement as well as the sound. I have those same versions as you and I still thought the BD was a good dip. If you can find it for a good price, I say go for it.

RockyMtnBri 02-08-08 11:19 AM

I hung on to my three-disc standard DVD and picked up the Blu-ray when it was on sale.

Peep 02-08-08 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
I hung on to my three-disc standard DVD and picked up the Blu-ray when it was on sale.

Me to. Plus I still have my theartrical cut SD.

Dane Marvin 02-08-08 11:48 AM

This looks to be one of the better value non-Warner discs that can be had regularly for $14.95-ish. It had the feature-length doc and apparently some good specs. I'm sure I will pick this up eventually.

Yavin 02-08-08 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I went ahead and picked up the Blu-ray over my lunch hour. $19 (Cdn) plus taxes. It's not that great a price, compared to US sale prices, but it's about $10 off the price here in Canada. So pretty ok I guess. Looking forward to Hellboy 2 on Blu-ray later this year!

livingdeadking 02-08-08 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Thanks for all the input everyone. I went ahead and picked up the Blu-ray over my lunch hour. $19 (Cdn) plus taxes. It's not that great a price, compared to US sale prices, but it's about $10 off the price here in Canada. So pretty ok I guess. Looking forward to Hellboy 2 on Blu-ray later this year!

hellboy 2 is from universal so that means HD-DVD, not Blu-ray

Yavin 02-08-08 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by livingdeadking

Yikes, didn't realize that. So much for being consistent with the film series on one format. Oh well, either I'll wait for the Blu-ray release (which would probably be coming eventually even if Universal hasn't gone neutral/blu by the time of HB2's release) or I'll just pick it up on HD-DVD.

kvrdave 02-08-08 01:35 PM

I'll be waiting for the eventual 4 bd set with 2 dvd extras. -wink-

PhantomStranger 02-08-08 07:24 PM

Hellboy looks and sounds incredible on Blu-ray. The picture quality is widely considered a "tier 1" release and the lossless soundtrack is even better. It's a great test for your speakers.

osdia 05-17-08 04:37 PM

Can anybody please confirm me if this release has spanish subtitles?

DVD Polizei 05-17-08 04:50 PM

Yes, it does have Spanish subtitles. But no Spanish audio (which I find odd).

osdia 05-17-08 05:04 PM

Thank you, its just that I just ordered it, and realized that in the backcover pics online, it doesn't list Spanish subtitles, which is strange.

RicP 05-17-08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by livingdeadking

Not anymore :)

osdia 06-03-08 03:14 PM

Sadly I just received this one, and it doesn't have spanish subtitles, which is strange coming from Sony, anyway I can understand it, but my family wont.

RocShemp 06-03-08 04:30 PM

I have the same issue with Underworld. The theatrical DVD has Spanish subtitles but the extended DVD and extended Blu-Ray do not.