Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

whatever happened to the black dahlia HD-DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-12-07, 03:17 PM
Banned

the release was supposed to coincide with the release of the dvd, but the listing was pulled from many sites. was this HD-DVD cancelled?
Old 03-12-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It was never officially announced.
Old 03-12-07, 03:45 PM
Banned

any news about whether zodiac will be HD or blu?
Old 03-12-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zodiac looks like a Warner title with a little Paramount so it'll probably be both on a TotalHD disc.

The Black Dahlia HD-DVD was listed in the Best Buy circular under the DVD picture for it's release week back in December.
Old 03-12-07, 04:02 PM
Banned

god damn it, i HATE any kind of flipper disc.

awesome, looks like i chose the wrong format.
the majority of the titles are being released as combos, which i have ABSOLUTELY no interest in.
Old 03-12-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just double checked IMDB and they list this for Zodiac:

Production Companies
Warner Bros. Pictures
Paramount Pictures
Phoenix Pictures

and

Distributors
Paramount Pictures (2007) (USA) (theatrical)
Warner Bros. Pictures (2007) (non-USA) (theatrical)

So maybe it will not be a TotalHD/Combo if Paramount has home video rights over Warner. I'm not sure how to read the differences between Production Companies and Distributors when it comes to that.
Old 03-12-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
The Black Dahlia HD-DVD was listed in the Best Buy circular under the DVD picture for it's release week back in December.
Regardless, Universal never officially announced it. That was a Best Buy error.
Old 03-12-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
god damn it, i HATE any kind of flipper disc.

awesome, looks like i chose the wrong format.
the majority of the titles are being released as combos, which i have ABSOLUTELY no interest in.
A "flipper" disc is one in which you have to turn over the disc to see the rest of the movie. A disc that has different content on each side is not a flipper. You're not forced to turn it over.

Other than the higher price-point that they're currently burdened with, I see no rational argument to be made against combo discs. What, there's no artwork labelling on the top of the disc? That's really enough to get you to turn against the format?
Old 03-12-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I wasn't a huge fan of the Black Dahlia film, I might even rewatch it in HD because it was a gorgeous film. I'm sure it'll look great when (if) it comes out.

Speaking of which, what is up with Universal not going day and date on a lot of recent releases? I liked Man of the Year and would definitely pick it up on HD, but it never came out. It's weird that Universal is releasing day and date titles for movies like Hollywoodland but not Man of the Year (which, I'd imagine, probably did about three times the box office of Hollywoodland).
Old 03-13-07, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
A "flipper" disc is one in which you have to turn over the disc to see the rest of the movie. A disc that has different content on each side is not a flipper. You're not forced to turn it over.

Other than the higher price-point that they're currently burdened with, I see no rational argument to be made against combo discs. What, there's no artwork labelling on the top of the disc? That's really enough to get you to turn against the format?
..serious?
why spend 35+ dollars on a disc with a side that i will NEVER use, that will only get scratched. i am a perfectionist and treat my dvds like my children, but the ONLY discs that get scratched are these flippers.

and how is that NOT a flipper? stop trying to be difficult, you know exactly what i mean.
Old 03-13-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other than the higher price-point that they're currently burdened with, I see no rational argument to be made against combo discs.
As if this wasn't enough of a reason by itself...

That's like saying "other than the associated jail time that it's currently burdend with, I see no rational argument to be made against crime."
Old 03-13-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd182
As if this wasn't enough of a reason by itself...

That's like saying "other than the associated jail time that it's currently burdend with, I see no rational argument to be made against crime."
The price of combos will come down as the manufacturing volumes and expense ratios improve.

People here really seem to be upset by the concept of a combo disc in itself, which I think is irrational.
Old 03-13-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the pricing of combo discs has nothing to do with manufacturing costs - it's a consequence of the increased perceived value of the content (SD and HD) from the studio's perspective.
Old 03-13-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The price of combos will come down as the manufacturing volumes and expense ratios improve.

People here really seem to be upset by the concept of a combo disc in itself, which I think is irrational.

Maybe it's because they've all upgraded all of their old standard def players to HD DVD players, and can't bear the idea of watching standard def content on -- for example -- a portable player. More power to 'em, really, but I like the combos. I agree that the list prices are steep (although I have yet to pay more than $23 for one!), but they will come down. When THAT happens, I will hope for the day when a studio releases its first combo-only titles, with NO separate standard def versions.
Old 03-13-07, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
..serious?
why spend 35+ dollars on a disc with a side that i will NEVER use, that will only get scratched. i am a perfectionist and treat my dvds like my children, but the ONLY discs that get scratched are these flippers.
If you'll never use it, who cares if it gets scratched?

My only argument against these combo discs is the price.