Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

50% off Blu-Ray Titles @ Amazon

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

50% off Blu-Ray Titles @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcolon
Seriously though, that is the basic model used for years with the video game industry. Why is that so damn funny?

Can you provide a link that says Thoshibs is not (or was not) losing money on their hardware? I can't provide one from my side either, other than my remembering reading about it months ago. So I guess that means we are both talking out of our ass.
Have you really descended into asking him to prove a negative? Is that the level to which things have gone around here just to make a silly pedantic point?

Prove to me it won't rain frogs tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 03-06-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Have you really descended into asking him to prove a negative? Is that the level to which things have gone around here just to make a silly pedantic point?

Prove to me it won't rain frogs tomorrow. Thanks.
No, don't really care what he says. That response was directed more at his typical shot he likes to take at BD only supporters: "There has been no loss on Toshiba hardware. That's been a cute little Blu-boy fabrication for a while."

I make a post and it is "a cute little Blu-Boy fabrication". Is that kind of response ok in your book? If he had just said, "Actually, I remember reading that Toshiba could have made money selling these players at $299 or $399, that would have been fine. The problem is, he does not know how to make a civil response when he disagrees with some people.
Old 03-06-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
This thread is under administrative review. So everyone please chill a bit. Thank you.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 03-07-07, 03:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I ordered Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Kung Fu Hustle, Memento, District B13, Fantastic Four, Kingdom of Heaven: DC, and Aliens Vs. Predator.
Old 03-07-07, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Tears of the Sun, A Knight's Tale, Fantastic Four, The Transporter, Transporter 2, Kung Fu Hustle, District B13, The World's Fastest Indian (HD DVD),The Sentinel, The Marine, Ice Age: The Meltdown, and Resident Evil: Apocalype.

Shit. That's a lot of money.
Old 03-07-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I just got League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 'cause, with a few exceptions, nothing else on that list interested me. But, that can be said for most of Blu-ray's other releases, too.
Old 03-07-07, 07:22 AM
Banned

No, don't really care what he says. That response was directed more at his typical shot he likes to take at BD only supporters: "There has been no loss on Toshiba hardware. That's been a cute little Blu-boy fabrication for a while."

I make a post and it is "a cute little Blu-Boy fabrication". Is that kind of response ok in your book? If he had just said, "Actually, I remember reading that Toshiba could have made money selling these players at $299 or $399, that would have been fine. The problem is, he does not know how to make a civil response when he disagrees with some people.
Dude, I was serious. That's something that Blu-boys have been obsessed with for a while. And it's simply not true. It was a lie. A fabrication. And has been proved so. End of story.

And the other comment came after your shot of "when there is only one viable format"...and it was a J O K E. In my head, it sounded more like "one ring to rule them all!" I personally don't think grand sweeping statements about the future should be allowed here, if we're going to be perfectly honest. You wouldn't catch me saying "when HD DVD has killed off Blu-ray or anything like that."

No one knows anything.

This thread is under administrative review. So everyone please chill a bit. Thank you
Sorry namja. I just felt the need to defend myself.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 03-07-07 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Although I was considering waiting for another edition with the extras restored (and I don't have the DC DVD edition), I caved and got Kingdom of Heaven. Out of what I would buy, it was the only one I didn't already have.
Old 03-07-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Dude, I was serious. That's something that Blu-boys have been obsessed with for a while. And it's simply not true. It was a lie. A fabrication. And has been proved so. End of story.

And the other comment came after your shot of "when there is only one viable format"...and it was a J O K E. In my head, it sounded more like "one ring to rule them all!" I personally don't think grand sweeping statements about the future should be allowed here, if we're going to be perfectly honest. You wouldn't catch me saying "when HD DVD has killed off Blu-ray or anything like that."

No one knows anything.

Sorry namja. I just felt the need to defend myself.
I didn't say which format would be the "viable" one. It could be either one at this point, but I do think that at some point in 2008 one format will be on life support. I know which one I hope it is, but it could go any way at thsi point. I do understand why you would think I meant the viable one would be BD.
Old 03-07-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I mentioned it in the Bargain's thread, but have not seen it in here, so here goes:

Buy The Marine [Blu-ray] and get The Sentinel [Blu-ray] at an additional $3.00 off Amazon.com's everyday low price.

If you were going to get both, which I did, it adds another incentive. I think these are the only titles that have any such deal.

Man, I love how anything can turn into a battle in this forum. Although I much prefer HD-DVD, I am taking this opportunity to pick up some FOX titles and Sony titles at reasonable prices. I don't really care why they are selling at this price, but I will take it while I can get it.
Old 03-07-07, 07:39 AM
Banned

I didn't say which format would be the "viable" one. It could be either one at this point, but I do think that at some point in 2008 one format will be on life support. I know which one I hope it is, but it could go any way at thsi point. I do understand why you would think I meant the viable one would be BD.
Well, thank you. Maybe i was wrong for my assumption that you thought it would naturally BE BD. So for that, I'm sorry. But c'mon, it seems like anyone whose name starts with a B in this forum automatically fanatically gravitates towards Blu-ray

We cool?
Old 03-07-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Well, thank you. Maybe i was wrong for my assumption that you thought it would naturally BE BD. So for that, I'm sorry. But c'mon, it seems like anyone whose name starts with a B in this forum automatically fanatically gravitates towards Blu-ray

We cool?
cool.
Old 03-07-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I have not really purchased much of anything lately so I made a few orders. May regret it, may not.

District B13 [Blu-ray]
The Sentinel
The Marine
XXX [Blu-ray]
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen [Blu-ray]
Ice Age - The Meltdown [Blu-ray]
S.W.A.T. [Blu-ray]
The Transporter (Blu-Ray)
Broken Arrow [Blu-ray]
Old 03-07-07, 08:33 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

DAMN!

This sale has me just about ready to go format neutral!!

Problem is that would force me to spen $600 on a PS3, oh well!

Nice sale though.

Greg
Old 03-07-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
X-Men 3
Fantastic Four
League of Ext. Gents

Overpriced Fox titles are mine!
Old 03-07-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by GCS
DAMN!

This sale has me just about ready to go format neutral!!

Problem is that would force me to spen $600 on a PS3, oh well!

Nice sale though.

Greg
Look for a 20GB one if you don't wanna shell out 600 bucks. If you can't find any in stores, check eBay. They're going for well under their $500 list price.
Old 03-07-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My breakdown of titles owned by studio before this sale was:

Paramount- 10
WB- 19
LG- 8
Columbia- 9
Buena Vista- 12
Fox- 4

After my order last night I now have 12 Fox and 10 Columbia. I'd imagine alot of us had similar ratios in regards to the number of Fox titles owned. They have GOT to lower their MSRP on, at least, catalog titles.
Old 03-07-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Look for a 20GB one if you don't wanna shell out 600 bucks. If you can't find any in stores, check eBay. They're going for well under their $500 list price.
Also, is Gamestop still doing the trade in your PS2, get $100.00 credit towards a PS3 sale?
Old 03-07-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
The 20GB is very, very hard to find. Even EB doesn't seem to have them any more. I personally thought the built in wi-fi, extra 40 gigs and memory card readers worth the $100 though. That wi-fi is really useful. I have my Wii, PS3 and Xbox Media Center all hooked up in my living room and the Wi-Fi is a must.
Old 03-07-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paramount- 10
WB- 19
LG- 8
Columbia- 9
Buena Vista- 12
Fox- 4

After my order last night I now have 12 Fox and 10 Columbia. I'd imagine alot of us had similar ratios in regards to the number of Fox titles owned. They have GOT to lower their MSRP on, at least, catalog titles.
I'm spread fairly even in the middle:

Sony - 21
Disney - 14
Warner - 13
Fox - 11
Lion's Gate - 9
Paramount - 9
Magnolia - 3
MGM - 2

I picked up two Fox and one Magnolia from the sale so it didn't affect me too much.
Old 03-07-07, 09:53 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Believe me I am looking for the 20 as several AVSers have gotten 20s for under $400 shipped off of ebay.

Problem is thats still another $400 and easily $200 in BRs that I see I want. Ahh what an expensive hobby, LOL!

Believe it or not I am thinking of getting the discs I want now anyway since its a nice sale (and yes I have the extra 10% off coupon in effect too).

Greg
Old 03-07-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Paramount- 10
WB- 19
LG- 8
Columbia- 9
Buena Vista- 12
Fox- 4

Well, actually, I've bought all the Fox titles I want (I now have 3). I'm not quite as peeved as others about the pricing, because so far they just haven't been releasing titles I like.

They've also neglected to release a couple of titles day and date that I would have bought, such as Little Miss Sunshine. I would have LOVED to have bought a certain title yesterday that would make benefit glorious HD format.
Old 03-07-07, 09:54 AM

Paramount- 10
WB- 19
LG- 8
Columbia- 9
Buena Vista- 12
Fox- 4

I checked my collection and 5 out of 24 are Fox titles. All but one, X-Men 3, were ordered using the Google Checkout promotion a few months back. And even that one was originally ordered through Google, but I cancelled and went with Amazon since Buy.com had it backordered for like a month.

Out of the 3 titles I ordered yesterday in the Amazon promotion, only one was a Fox title.

So basically Fox needs to start lowering their prices, release better movies(AVP, Planet of the Apes, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ), include the SD-DVD extras, and create better transfers.
Old 03-07-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Paramount- 10
WB- 19
LG- 8
Columbia- 9
Buena Vista- 12
Fox- 4

Well, my ratios have changed little. I'm still not buying most of that barebones Fox crap even at half price. $19.99 does not impress me at all. Warner has delivered many titles at that on HD DVD and Blu-ray loaded with extras. I agree Sony is starting to come around, but Fox and Sony have both lost hundreds of dollars in potential sales from me due to many of the releases being bare bones and/or poorly encoded.

My Breakdown:
Warner: 23
Universal: 11
Sony: 4
Paramount: 2
Disney: 1
Weinstein: 1
Magnolia: 1
Fox: 1
Lionsgate: 1

Last edited by darkside; 03-07-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, actually, I've bought all the Fox titles I want (I now have 3). I'm not quite as peeved as others about the pricing, because so far they just haven't been releasing titles I like.

They've also neglected to release a couple of titles day and date that I would have bought, such as Little Miss Sunshine. I would have LOVED to have bought a certain title yesterday that would make benefit glorious HD format.
Borat I can forgive since a lot of it was shot in a style that likely wouldn't be improved upon much in HD. But Little Miss Sunshine better be released soon on Blu-ray. It was a box office hit, a crowd pleaser, a Best Picture nominee, and won 2 Oscars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.