Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How Best Buy Advertises the Next Gen Formats

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

How Best Buy Advertises the Next Gen Formats

Old 02-27-07, 10:50 AM
  #1  
Suspended
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,790
How Best Buy Advertises the Next Gen Formats

I found this amusing. From Bestbuy.com:



Note that the Blu Ray link is bolded. HD DVD, which is not in bold, must clearly be inferior. Secondly, you can get great movies that'll really show off your equipment on Blu Ray like Superman Returns! All HD DVD has is dreck like You Me and Dupree.

What a joke.
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 10:54 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
I bought 4 HD DVDs yesterday to take advantage of their deal. Saw another guy there with a big handful of HD DVD titles. I used to not see anyone looking at either format, but the past few times I've been in BB, I see a couple of people getting HD DVD movies. My Best Buy is also one of the newer setup stores. They used to have BD on one side, and HD DVD split to where it shared 1 side with BD and the other side by itself. They've now re-arranged it to where 1 full aisle has nothing but HD DVD and BD movies. Looks nice having 1 large aisle dedicated to high-def.

Not only that, but this aisle is right behind their new release section, which is front and center facing the entrance. It's in a prime location.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 02-27-07 at 10:57 AM.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 10:57 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 181
Best Buys sticker pricing seems designed to deter people from buying HD DVDs. Their discs are stickered at least $4 higher than checkout price. I wouldn't have bought discs there because of this, but I had some gift cards and reward zone money. Babel was marked 29.99 and rang up 24.95 and Lucky # Slevin was marked 24.95 and rang up 20.95. Not sure if this is common on every DVD, Blu-ray Disc, etc. but it struck me as they are trying to deter people from adopting the format with sticker shock. Combo pricing has the same effect, I've seen it first hand.
Sir Talos is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 10:58 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,013
Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the ad.
Goldblum is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 11:01 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
I think they are only trying to differ between the two, so people arent mistaken with thier purchases, they wanna minimalize return potentionals. The YMAD was simple diversifing the choice in films across the spectrum avaliable with the formats.

If worse comes to worse, I'm sure CC will have a nice ad before long :P

Last edited by True_Story1011; 02-27-07 at 11:04 AM.
True_Story1011 is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 11:16 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
btw, is this only limited to online or for instore purchases also?
True_Story1011 is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 11:28 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Originally Posted by Sir Talos
Best Buys sticker pricing seems designed to deter people from buying HD DVDs. Their discs are stickered at least $4 higher than checkout price. I wouldn't have bought discs there because of this, but I had some gift cards and reward zone money. Babel was marked 29.99 and rang up 24.95 and Lucky # Slevin was marked 24.95 and rang up 20.95. Not sure if this is common on every DVD, Blu-ray Disc, etc. but it struck me as they are trying to deter people from adopting the format with sticker shock. Combo pricing has the same effect, I've seen it first hand.
It's because you bought two and got $10 off. That is the deal this week.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 12:15 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Originally Posted by Goldblum
Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the ad.
Don't forget that according to Best Buy HD DVD is also in stunning 720p compared to 1080p for Blu-ray.
darkside is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 12:17 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by darkside
Don't forget that according to Best Buy HD DVD is also in stunning 720p compared to 1080p for Blu-ray.
exactly.
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 12:41 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
It's because you bought two and got $10 off. That is the deal this week.
After reading this post I was starting to wonder if that's what happened. Their sticker prices are still sky high though.
Sir Talos is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 12:55 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,452
Originally Posted by darkside
Don't forget that according to Best Buy HD DVD is also in stunning 720p compared to 1080p for Blu-ray.
That is just inexcusable. I can't decide if it would be worse if they did because they're idiots or because they want to slander HD-DVD.

I've been very disappointed with HD-DVD's lack of releases as of late and I think it's going to be tough for them to win, but even so, this kind of misrepresentation is just BS. I would Toshiba would lay into them for this.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 06:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,966
Originally Posted by Sir Talos
Best Buys sticker pricing seems designed to deter people from buying HD DVDs. Their discs are stickered at least $4 higher than checkout price. I wouldn't have bought discs there because of this, but I had some gift cards and reward zone money. Babel was marked 29.99 and rang up 24.95 and Lucky # Slevin was marked 24.95 and rang up 20.95. Not sure if this is common on every DVD, Blu-ray Disc, etc. but it struck me as they are trying to deter people from adopting the format with sticker shock. Combo pricing has the same effect, I've seen it first hand.
It's probably because they really are supposed to be priced lower, but they haven't bothered to put new stickers on them yet. I've seen it before with DVDs that haven't been updated. Do you ever notice how sometimes you see two or three stickers stacked on a case? They should be putting new stickers on when the prices are changed.

There is that deal this week, but since you saved about $9 instead of $10, I don't think that's the reason for each one to ring up lower. They should ring up and show on the receipt for the correct price, then the discount is subtracted from the total (think about it: what if you only bought one?).
Drexl is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 06:36 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 2,623
Edit: nevermind, I was drunk when I read that the first time.

Last edited by John Galt; 02-27-07 at 06:38 PM.
John Galt is offline  
Old 02-28-07, 12:41 AM
  #14  
Video Game Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,512
It upsets me to think that Best Buy and its Canadian counterpart, Future Shop, are the only places I can buy HD-DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, here in Canada. I've found one other place, but it was a specialty DVD store in Toronto. I'm not driving an hour to buy these things, but I hate overpaying at Best Buy/FS. Plus, it takes them an assload of time to get anything in (ie. Brokeback Mountain on HD-DVD was about 3 weeks late.)
Wick is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 06:08 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by Goldblum
Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the ad.
I don't you--either is possible. I used to work in advertising & I have a friend in BB advertising. It all depends on both the knowledge & the direction of the higher-up directing the ad. One could be bold & one not just to differentiate, OR to make one jump out more (which it seems to do). Blu-Ray is mentioned first every time and in front and in bold, so we'll see what they do next time...
uteotw is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 06:49 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,356
Originally Posted by Wick
I'm not driving an hour to buy these things, but I hate overpaying at Best Buy/FS.
Why don't you order online?
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 07:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,814
Originally Posted by uteotw
I don't you--either is possible. I used to work in advertising & I have a friend in BB advertising. It all depends on both the knowledge & the direction of the higher-up directing the ad. One could be bold & one not just to differentiate, OR to make one jump out more (which it seems to do). Blu-Ray is mentioned first every time and in front and in bold, so we'll see what they do next time...
"Hey, Corporate just said to make sure Blu-Ray stands out. Make it sure it does on the new weekly."
"Blu-what?"
"Blu-Ray. The new DVD format."
"Oh yeah, ok. No problem, Steve."

That's probably about it. No moustache twirling.
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 05:49 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,337
Originally Posted by Wick
It upsets me to think that Best Buy and its Canadian counterpart, Future Shop, are the only places I can buy HD-DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, here in Canada.
Walmarts in Canada carry them too, but the selection isn't as good as FS or BB.
cultshock is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 06:40 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,137
Nobody's commented about the "Mix and match Blu-Ray and HD-DVD"? Makes it sound like they will all play on the same player, when right now there is only one that can play both of them!
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 10:07 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 216
The better Blu-Ray sounds maybe they sell more PS3's. The fact that HD-DVDs are promoted at 720p instead of 1080i/720p is just an obvious Blu-Ray push. Alittle Sony under the table action with BB.
obladioblada is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 10:54 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I found this amusing. From Bestbuy.com:

http://www.the-watercooler.com/bestbuy.jpg

Note that the Blu Ray link is bolded. HD DVD, which is not in bold, must clearly be inferior. Secondly, you can get great movies that'll really show off your equipment on Blu Ray like Superman Returns! All HD DVD has is dreck like You Me and Dupree.

What a joke.
i found this thread amusing.
and your post? what a joke.
the blu-ray hate is so sad. OH NO blu-ray is BOLDED!!!! best buy favors blu-ray! down with best buy! i'm gonna go cry in the corner now!
tek2k is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 10:56 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by obladioblada
Alittle Sony under the table action with BB.
LOL

Originally Posted by Drexl
It's probably because they really are supposed to be priced lower, but they haven't bothered to put new stickers on them yet. I've seen it before with DVDs that haven't been updated. Do you ever notice how sometimes you see two or three stickers stacked on a case? They should be putting new stickers on when the prices are changed.

There is that deal this week, but since you saved about $9 instead of $10, I don't think that's the reason for each one to ring up lower. They should ring up and show on the receipt for the correct price, then the discount is subtracted from the total (think about it: what if you only bought one?).
no way man. it's totally sony paying best buy to push blu-ray in all of our faces. can't you see it? i can see it so clearly.

LOL
tek2k is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.