Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

John Carpenter's The Thing problems in 360 HD-DVD Drive

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-26-07, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Anyone had any problems playing back The Thing in the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive? I bought the flick at BB yesterday and it seems to freeze randomly, with no way to unfreeze it. I have to go back to the menu and start all over again.
Old 02-26-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played mine all the way through with no problems. Return it and see if it happens again.
Old 02-26-07, 05:59 PM

Mine played fine also.
Old 02-26-07, 08:24 PM
Banned

Mine also played fine.
Old 02-27-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the 360 drive is really starting to show why it's only $200.

This problem, van helsing, the HDScape discs and the sound problem so far that I know of or have experienced.

Now today I tried to watch Babel and about every tenth subtitle will just flash on the screen for a fraction of a second, making it impossible to read. I tried the discs in all my 360 HD players and they all did it. When I put it in my A2, the subtitles were fine. And unless you speak like 5 different languages, you will need subtitles for this movie.
Old 02-27-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Babel and The Thing worked fine for me...

I think you needs to contact Microsoft if they continue to have unresolved problems locally with their drives and discs.
Old 02-27-07, 07:19 AM
Suspended

For me, turns out it's not the drive, it's the disc. Checked it out and for some reason there were some scuff marks on the disc. Took it back and exchanged it. No problems.
Old 02-27-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Babel and The Thing worked fine for me...

I think you needs to contact Microsoft if they continue to have unresolved problems locally with their drives and discs.
The babel issue is all over message boards for the 360 add-on so its pretty common i dunno what you did to have a perfect drive but not only do both of mine do it, and a lot of others, but when I called microsoft they had no idea what to do of course. I know it's not the disc since all these discs work fine on my a2. I would even say maybe it was the first run of them or something but one drive i purchased the first day they were out at CC and the other i purchased about a month ago from amazon
Old 02-27-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their big spring dashboard update will be arriving sooner than later. I'm sure all the add-on fixes will be included.
Old 02-27-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never had a problem with my drive although I picked it up from Japan. Wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 02-28-07, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Turns out it might be my drive after all.

Yesterday I got all kinds of "Attempting to read media" errors pop up on my screen during playback. Both on HD DVDs and standard discs. Perhaps I got a bad drive or my 360 is dying.