Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix and HD-DVD rentals?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-17-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this question has already been asked - the search function is disabled right now. I'm thinking about buying the 360 HD player, basically just so I can watch Netflix HD rentals. Are there often long waits for titles in HD, especially new releases? I'm just wondering if they get a lot of copies of each, or if they just get relatively few for the sole purpose of saying they carry them.
Old 02-17-07, 01:05 PM
Suspended

It's been hit and miss as far as getting Netflix HD titles for me. I've had Miami Vice in my queue since it came out but I received The Departed right away. Having said that, the X-Box HD add-on is so worth it. The picture quality of HD-DVD's is amazing and it comes with King Kong. Buy one and you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-17-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been doing HD-DVD from Netflix for about 3 months now, and like RayM1971 stated I've seen new releases that tues or wed (Matador, Derailed, and Beerfest) and others that are still in my queue since they launched saying long wait like Lucky Number Slevin, Hollywoodland, and Miami Vice.

Overall I've been satisfied with the service (and since I have no other local choice) I'm still using them although out of 18 discs, I've had 2 unplayable never newer stuff but catalog titles that I received.
Old 02-17-07, 02:50 PM

You can always try Gameznflix since they also carry games and HD and are a ton cheaper. You can get trials for them as well as Blockbuster and Netflix. Try them out first so you can get a feel for how long it takes.
Old 02-17-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never had any wait on a HD-DVD title. I don't always want the new releases, but I have never had to wait more than 1 return before what I wanted was available.

Could it be a regional thing? The only HD movie currently in my queue that is showing as long wait is The Devil Wears Prada BR which my wife wanted to see.
Old 02-17-07, 06:49 PM

I agree with the hit-and-miss analysis. Although its more long-wait these days with new releases on HD.
Old 02-17-07, 06:53 PM
Banned

I haven't had any problems with Netflix so far. I've rented Slither and Lady in the Water and I have Hollywoodland in my queue.
Old 02-19-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RayM1971
It's been hit and miss as far as getting Netflix HD titles for me. I've had Miami Vice in my queue since it came out but I received The Departed right away. Having said that, the X-Box HD add-on is so worth it. The picture quality of HD-DVD's is amazing and it comes with King Kong. Buy one and you'll be glad you did.
Thanks for the replies. About a week from now I'll know if I can afford the player on this paycheck, and I think I'll order one if I can.
Old 02-19-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's probably related to that lawsuit a while back where someone discovered by having 2 accounts with the same movies in both queues that you get longer waits for newer movies if you rent alot of movies in amonth. I watch them the same day & return them the next day & the mail takes one day, so most of the HD-DVDs in my queue all say "long wait". If you don't rent as many, the wait would be shorter for you. I've had Lady In Water at the top of my queue since it came out & it still says "long wait".
Old 02-19-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
hit and miss, but I don't mind a wait.
Old 02-20-07, 09:35 AM

I've had NetFlix before -- prior to HD-DVD -- but switched to Blockbuster and like the service much better with the instore rentals as well. But now that I have HD-DVD, I've been getting really frustrated with Blockbuster. Most of the popular HD-DVD titles have long waits or very long waits. It's either that or they don't get them at all.

I really wanted to rent The Departed (may like to buy but short on cash) on HD-DVD BUT Blockbuster still has it listed as "Coming Soon" on their website and none of my local stores have started renting HD-DVDs. Even Fearless is still listed as "Coming Soon". Pathetic.

So, the question is, whether jumping to Netflix is going to help with the HD-DVD situation. Having trouble deciding to jump ship because the kids still like picking out their movies at the store.
Old 02-20-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a netflix question for you.

I am returning 2 movies today. I noticed that my new envelopes return them to Dayton, OH while my old envelopes sent them back to Indianapolis, IN. I live in Indianapolis. Any suggestions on why they have to go to Dayton now? Also, they send me those e-mails "did you get your movie today" and I never did. It's always a day or 2 later, which is annoying.

I went ahead and dug out an old envelope with the Indianapolis address on it. I sent the movies separately to see which one arrives first.
Old 02-20-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sbelli
So, the question is, whether jumping to Netflix is going to help with the HD-DVD situation. Having trouble deciding to jump ship because the kids still like picking out their movies at the store.
Depending on which plan you have, you could switch to a less expensive plan and then also sign up at Netflix.

For example, i had the $17.99 plan at BB online, but due to my frustration with them, cut it to the $9.99 plan (1 out, unlimited with free instore rentals). Now, im planning to sign up for the $9.99 plan at Netflix (1 out at a time, unlimited).

This isnt ideal, but there are things that I like about both sites.
Old 02-20-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I've thought about doing the dual service route as well.
Old 02-20-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Wow, I received the Departed today?!! It was listed as very long wait & POW, here it is. I had Open Season, Click, and The Covenant listed above The Departed but they are all 'waiters' for me.
Old 02-21-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I got Babel on Tuesday, I wasn't planning on another title till Wed. since I thought Monday was a postal holiday, but happy none the less.

DamingR about the different addresses, when I was under the 'trial' offer none of them came from my local area, but since I've been a paying member all but 2 of my HD DVD's have been local. One came from Kansas City, and one came from somewhere in Florida. The local ones are nice because I almost always get 2 day turn around (ie. I mail it Tue. they get it Wed., and I have a new one Thur.) as long as I get it in the mail before the last pickup.
Old 02-21-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Wow, I received the Departed today?!! It was listed as very long wait & POW, here it is. I had Open Season, Click, and The Covenant listed above The Departed but they are all 'waiters' for me.
I was equally surprised that Babel is going to be showing up in my mail tomorrow. New releases aren't usually that quick getting to me.
Old 02-22-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Babel here. Should arrive today, but it's weird because all my movies have been taking an extra day to arrive lately.
Old 02-22-07, 04:40 PM

Well, I decided to do the dual service route (NetFlix/Blockbuster). Don't get as much of a chance to watch movies as much as I used to, so I'm doing the $9.99 (1 out at a time unlimited at BB) mostly for my SD watching. And just the $4.99 (2 per month plan) at NetFlix for my HD-DVDs after waiting a week and still seeing "Coming Soon" for "The Departed" HD-DVD on BB.

BB finally has "The Departed" (Very Long Wait). But I got it in the mail today, the day after I signed up for Netflix.
Old 02-22-07, 04:44 PM

Since I can't edit my previous post, just wanted to clarify that it was NetFlix that I got "The Departed" from. BB now officially sucks for HD-DVD.
Old 02-22-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I've never waited for a HD DVD, but Blu-Ray seems to take forever since the PS3 came out.