HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD-DVR to DVD-R questions.

Old 02-01-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HD-DVR to DVD-R questions.

I recently purchased a set-top LG DVD-R unit and have it connected to my Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR from Time Warner. When I record HD channels to the DVD-R it puts gray bars on the top and bottom of the recording. Is this normal behavior? I know I can't record HD quality but I don't want the bars. It looks like an non-anamorphic DVD transfer.

Also sometimes when watching HD content I try to record it and it says it's protected content and cannot record (I've noticed this mostly with NBA basketball on TNT-HD). Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to make a personal copy to DVD like any other channel? What makes the HD channel so special considering I can't record it in HD anyway?

And my last question: Is there an easy way to get the HD recordings off my HD-DVR and onto my computer and burn them onto DVD that way? I have the BCS championship game (where my Gators beat the crap out of OSU) on HD and I want a perfect copy of it if possible.

Thanks!

BTW: my equipment is 47" Panny RPTV w/ HDMI.
LG upconverting DVD player/recorder connected via HDMI.
HD-DVR connected via Component.
Output from HD-DVR to LG DVD-R via RCA connection. (maybe this is my problem with the gray bars? but I think this is the only way to connect the two)

Last edited by danicus007; 02-01-07 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-01-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danicus007
I recently purchased a set-top LG DVD-R unit and have it connected to my Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR from Time Warner. When I record HD channels to the DVD-R it puts gray bars on the top and bottom of the recording. Is this normal behavior? I know I can't record HD quality but I don't want the bars. It looks like an non-anamorphic DVD transfer.

Also sometimes when watching HD content I try to record it and it says it's protected content and cannot record (I've noticed this mostly with NBA basketball on TNT-HD). Is there some way around this?

And my last question: Is there an easy way to get the HD recordings off my HD-DVR and onto my computer and burn them onto DVD that way? I have the BCS championship game (where my Gators beat the crap out of OSU) on HD and I want a perfect copy of it if possible.

Thanks!

BTW: my equipment is 47" Panny RPTV w/ HDMI.
LG upconverting DVD player/recorder connected via HDMI.
HD-DVR connected via Component.
Output from HD-DVR to LG DVD-R via RCA connection. (maybe this is my problem with the gray bars? but I think this is the only way to connect the two)
"Your Gators"? You live in North Carolina!!!

Also, we don't discuss ways to circumvent copy protection.

As for your other problem, try searching AVS for some more technical answers.
Old 02-01-07, 03:52 PM
Banned

Danicus...

No, there is no easy way at all.

If you're looking for EASY ways to get 16x9 recordings, get a DVD recorder with component inputs OR find one of the few boxes that will output a 16x9 signal by s-video. Otherwise it's a big pain in the ass.
Old 02-01-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
"Your Gators"? You live in North Carolina!!!

Also, we don't discuss ways to circumvent copy protection.

As for your other problem, try searching AVS for some more technical answers.
Ha,ha...I'm a Florida transplant. The wife goes to Duke for Grad school.

Back to the topic on hand - I don't need an answer for the copy protection stuff....but the other questions are legit correct? The gray bars when recording HD content and saving stuff to my computer? Go ahead and disregard the copy protected question - I forgot what forum I was on for a second.
Old 02-01-07, 03:59 PM
Banned

Yes, the grey bars are normal.

If you record an HD channel that is broadcasting a 4x3 signal, you're going get bars on all 4 sides.